On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How the Vectra did over the weekend

I have just completed the first reasonably long drive in my Vectra SRi CDTi (150), a 551 mile round trip from home to Galway in the Republic of Ireland. I was slightly disappointed by the fuel economy, I averaged 56.5 mpg on the trip to Galway, but for some reason did quite a lot less well on the trip back, ending up with an average of 52.3 mpg for the complete trip. While these figures are much better than the 42 mpg I average with normal use, I had hoped to get closer to 60mpg on this journey. I also have to say that despite the majority on here loving the SRi seats, while I no longer have a problem on my daily commute, after this longer journey I really was very soar and fatigued with the SRi seats in comparison with how I was on my significantly longer drives in my Mondeo on my Summer holiday to Cornwall.

In the end, I used the Irish toll M-ways. Great roads, more equivalent to a UK dual carriageway in that they are 2+2 rather than 3+3, but partly due to the low population density and party due I think to the locals being reluctant to pay tolls, the roads were very empty. I was able to cruise at 120km/h for the whole length of the M1, M4 and M6 and at the legal 100km/hr on the M50 (Dublin by pass). The brand new service areas that I stopped in (M1 south, and M4 East) were nice but again deserted with far more staff than customers. Hard to see how either the services or manning the toll booths could be profitable - still the emptiness of the roads is a revelation compared with driving even on the M-ways in Northern Ireland, never mind in over crowded England.
    Last edited by Deztroyer; 23rd November 2010 at 21:43. Reason: complaint

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You do like your mondeo, dont you? lol

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I did like my Mondeo. I like certain aspects of the Vectra better. It is more powerful and yet more economical. I also think it looks better. However inside the Mondeo was better. The seats were more comfy, there was more room for rear passengers and more cubby holes for storage. The boot was also marginally better. In the end it is swings and roundabouts, the Mk3 Mondeo and Vectra C are about equall over all. I know many on here are Ford haters/VX fanboys but I am not, I have owned and liked both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So you average over 50 mpg in a near 1 and a half ton car with 150 bhp and you are disappointed, i think you need to get real to be honest, or buy a mondeo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thats still a great MPG figure, im often impressed with the 1.9, quite a big bus really and pretty economic. I love my SRi seats, but do find them a little harsh after a long journey too. Still, the only change I would make is to have them tailored in leather.

Out of interest William, what are the toll charges like on those roads in Ireland ?

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by shadyone View Post
    So you average over 50 mpg in a near 1 and a half ton car with 150 bhp and you are disappointed, i think you need to get real to be honest, or buy a mondeo.

Only a little disapointed, based on what some on here have claimed they have achieved. It was much better than the mpg I would have gotten with the Mondeo TDCi. Have done over 600 miles on the tank with still no fuel warning light, only occasionally got over 500 miles in the Mondeo before the warning light would come on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

How much power did said Mondeo have though

I think that a car that weighs a similar weight to the Mondeo but has 20bhp more and still gets better fuel economy can only be a good thing

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mark_647 View Post
    Thats still a great MPG figure, im often impressed with the 1.9, quite a big bus really and pretty economic. I love my SRi seats, but do find them a little harsh after a long journey too. Still, the only change I would make is to have them tailored in leather.

Out of interest William, what are the toll charges like on those roads in Ireland ?
    Hi, the tolls are variable. On the M1 (road that heads north from Dublin to the border with N. Ireland has a 1.90 Euro toll as does the M6 which heads east out of Galway. The M4 which heads west out of Dublin has a 2.90 Euro toll. All these roads have toll booths. The M50 Dublin By pass charges 3.00 Euro and has no booths. You have to phone or use the web to pay by 8pm of the next day or the price starts to rise. Hate this, just like the London congestion charge, and various parking schemes in England it is fine for locals but a pain in the butt for visitors.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by john.robertson2 View Post
    How much power did said Mondeo have though

I think that a car that weighs a similar weight to the Mondeo but has 20bhp more and still gets better fuel economy can only be a good thing

The Mondeo was 115 (not the 130 version), so all in all I am very happy with the Vectra economy (but would have been delighted if it had managed 56.5 for the full journey).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i have never heard somebody complain as much, go buy a mondeo then. half that mpg and take away 3 thats what i get!! still complaining??

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information