User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infamous wipers

Staffordshire (used to be Newark) And Back to Newark again!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Infamous wipers

I have now fell victim to the vec c wiper linkage failure.

This morning pitchblack, peeing it down with rain on dual carriage way at motorway speed,

Went to vx they want £90 odd quid for linkage and £70 odd for motor, from what i read here its a case of have to replace both as the old will not fit.

As this could have been alot more serious than it was (safety wise) I want to compile a list of people whos suffered from this as despite my car being 5 years old it should not have happend and want to try and get it to be a recall,

I dont trust my car now as im usually carrying my son and pregnant mrs and next time might not be as lucky.

The worrying thing is that all i said at stealers was my wipers have failed and their reply was "IS IT A VECTRA" not bad to say I went in works van so they never saw my car.

So could you attatch your name to this if yours has failed also and at what speed.

Thanks

1.Craig Barlow 70mph

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by craigbarlow18 View Post
    Went to vx they want £90 odd quid for linkage and £70 odd for motor, from what i read here its a case of have to replace both as the old will not fit.
    Nope, that's the dealer will tell you as it's what EPC tells them and it's not true. On here you'll see that people have fitted the new linkage and no need for a new motor. I was told the same and I queried it (after many posts on here about it) but as I know them well (the dealer), and it was a Saturday so no chance to come back if I did need the motor, they said to take both parts and bring back the motor if I didn't need it. As I expected, I didn't need the motor. The new linkage fitted to the original motor just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I must have missunderstood it when i read it.

Is the new one revised though?? seen a part on ebay £40 says its the white ball joints not brown.

How does a part on a car become a recall feature just like the handbreak (which works great now its been fixed so i hear lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi

Had the wiper linkage fixed on mine in 2004 (car is 03 plate). Lashed linkage together with string as temp fix and replaced under warranty - motor was not replaced though - just the linkage. Sounds like the stealers are trying to get a bit of 'added-value' in these tough times! Wiper motor went tonight though so will have to get that fixed asap anyway!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi there craigbarlow,
    spooky or what, i was pulling in to my local independant garage for a service on my '05 veccy estate this very wet morning when..... you've guessed it, the passenger side linkage failed!!!! I asked them to check it out and sort it if they had time,later, i went to pick up my car and low and behold, they had to replace the linkage, all told, the bill for a service and new wiper linkage came to £259.00, which i don't think was too bad, vauxhall are real *******s for not sorting this one out, my wife had an '05 saloon and the wiper linkage went on that at 45k, it was a company car, so no problem with paying for it !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I used a couple of thick laggy bands to bodge together my Cav's linkages once - when I got bored of having to wind the window down to lift the flapping driver's side blade/arm off the door mirror just to get out. It was always the driver's side linkage that failed on the Cavs because that was the one which hung below the arm ball joint - the passenger one sat on top of its arm ball, so had gravity to hold it even if a bit worn.

Mind you, the other temporary fix was to move the passenger blade up so it swept across the driver's side too..

Not yet done one in the Vec, but in the Cavs it was a simple job to pop the black plastic baffle/diffuser plate between screen and engine bay, revealing the motor and linkage. The whole lot has to come out, but only the linkage needs renewing - less than an hour to do, first time round IIRC. Second time - more like 30 minutes. So the £90 sounds like it includes labour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

no mate £90 part only told him not to bother any further

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's mad - the last Cav linkage I bought was £13 trade - Rushy has spotted AutoVaux in Wakefield selling the Vec C linkage for £50. http://www.autovaux.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, just been quoted £240 for new motor and linkage (the motor comes with the new linkage on older models apparently. Every stealer fix so far on this car has cost me at least £240!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I went through the same pain just before Xmas last year......had to buy the linkage from my local stealers (£90) just because of the time of year and needed to sort it quickly

You could try your local breakers and you should be able to source one for approx £40......and I can testify that I didnt need a new motor either even though the stealers tried to make me buy one! (I have 04 plate veccy)

Fitting can be fiddly at times but the how-to's and discussions on here are excellent for any probs you may encounter
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15125
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10024

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information