User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The court has lost my licence????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default The court has lost my licence????

I got done for speeding, fair enough. Had the letter to send my liscence in to court with a cheque, did that straight away. Two weeks later after they cashed my cheque, I called to find out when they were sendng my liscence back, and they said they posted it on 21st of November? I asked if it was registered, they said no , just 1st class post!!!!, They advised me that they will contact the post office who will send a claim form and that they will reimburse me the cost of a new liscence!!!! Shoddy ****** system if you ask me!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds about right. Why they need the licence puzzles me.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
    Sounds about right. Why they need the licence puzzles me.
    They have to endorse it.
    Then presumably loose it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

but why do they need to, surely when you get pulled they can radio the number through or scan something. It seems a dated system.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Same thing happened to me except it never got there. Was lost somewhere between the local Police Station and the DVLA.

They issued me with a new one which arrived without the points and then sent me a letter asking me to send it back so that it could be endorsed. I then got two back which I still have.

That was 7 years ago so it seems they ain't got any better.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

MrsT got caught on the way into Stoke (A34 IIRC - road goes from 40-30-40 so many times it's like a yo-yo). The YTS who 'endorsed the license' did so with a blue BIC pen, nice girly balloon writing, but whoops! couldn't quite fit everything into the spaces required. Was expecting hearts above all the I's and J's - suppose we should be glad it was all correctly spelt...

Thing is, I know there's a template out there to simply word-process this lot and put the counterfoil through a printer for a non-childish, looks official version doing - hell, I got a TS20 back in '88 (one and only d'oh moment) and even back then it was typed on.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

DVLA is well known for utter randomness - when I returned to driving after a seizure (12 months off) they took four attempts to get me the right one back - had two at once in one instance, nether of which had been officially issued (one even had just categories B1+E, C1+E and D1+E listed, which - were it true - would have meant I could only drive stuff whilst towing a trailer). Nice to finally get a 'til 70' licence with all my categories listed, trailers or otherwise (though HGV2 had disappeared in the remix from the column on the counterfoil - not that it really matters as I don't think I'll need it back again, even though I'd need to take the new LGV-C test to update it)...

DVLA is just a code for FAIL - I'm sure I got one of those 'spy toys' in a cornflakes pack that gave this answer...
    Last edited by MrT; 9th December 2008 at 23:43.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    DVLA is well known for utter randomness - when I returned to driving after a seizure (12 months off) they took four attempts to get me the right one back - had two at once in one instance, nether of which had been officially issued (one even had just categories C1+E, D1+E and E1+E listed, which - were it true - would have meant I could only drive stuff whilst towing a trailer). Nice to finally get a 'til 70' licence with all my many categories listed, trailers or otherwise...

DVLA is just a code for FAIL - I'm sure I got one of those 'spy toys' in a cornflakes pack that gave this answer...
    I just cant believe that they didnt give a monkeys when I rang. The onus is on me to order a new one, then claim the money back?!?!?!?
    Surely they should get me a replacement as they lost it? Wht the hel didnt they use recorded delivery? Its only 16 quid I know, but at this time of year I am strapped for cash.....and what if I get stopped in the mean time or need to hire a car or van?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you get stopped, then you have the paperwork demanding your licence be submitted, plus get any responses from DVLA in writing about the subsequent loss. As soon as you order another licence you should get a letter acknowledging that, even if the licence itself doesn't arrive for a while.

My situation was medical-related, which they view as being one of the few blame-free and cash-free reasons for issuing new licenses (along with things like change of address). However, although it took a lot longer to process because of all the medical verification, they issued a letter stating that they had accepted my reapplication on blah-blah grounds, and that a 'til 70' license would be reissued with all my categories on it. Categories were listed in the letter, and it was good enough for the dealers and insurance company for me to buy the Vec before the actual plastic and paper thing arrived. It was only then that all the fun with wrong licenses arriving began - it got to the point with the 'trailers only' one where I rang DVLA and asked if I should have the car put on a low-loader to be taken away for a retro towbar fitting just to comply. Oh how we laughed - until I pointed out that I could, if asked, hand over the other full licence that I had been sent. The rules are apparently that only one may be issued at a time, and the following one cannot leave DVLA until the prior one has been received. It then turns out that two different departments had been dealing with my case, and they had both been sending out stuff.

None of these were sent to me using anything but standard post - although I sent them back using recorded delivery. Cheapskate ID-leaking DVLA.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In answer to the question "what if I get pulled".

8 years ago my uncle was stopped while driving me home, he received a producer (was 2am and I was VERY drunk), his licence was away having his change of address done.
    He took insurance and mot to the Police station, and showed a photocopy of his driving licence, explaining that his "real" licence was being changed for a new one due to change of address. The officer said nothing, but marked his producer as "failed to display licence" then wrote "photocopy seen" underneath.

3 months later a court summons arrived for "failure to produce" etc. Uncle attended, with new licence, and the story was told in court (he even remarked the judge thought it was a strange case to be brought as a call to the DVLA confirms a licence is valid etc)

Worst bit is, technically he HAD failed to produce, and as it was in court he HAD to be found guilty. I can't remember the code he ended up with on his record, but he received no points or fine, but the penalty had to be registered. The judge apparently commented that it should NEVER have been brought to court.

Shows sometimes stupid things happen.

Thread Information