Thread: reverse camera to jvc head unit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused reverse camera to jvc head unit

i have a jvc dvd head unit and a reverse cam that fits in the no plate light hole, its all fitted and connected to the reverse light and head unit i get the cam picture by manually selecting it on the screen but not automatically when putting the car in revrse. my head unit has an extra wire on "reverse camera signal" (this hasnt been on previous head units ive had cameras on) does any one have any ideas where i should connect this or how to get it to show the cam automatically when selecting reverse? i tried connecting it to the reverse light where i connected the cameras power cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Vectra GTS

Trim : Elegance

Engine : 2.2 DTi 16V

Year : 2003

Mileage : 75 000

You should do the exact opposite : as all other switch sensors on the car, they are considered active when grounded (this avoids having to run live wires everywhere in the car).

The reverse switch is actually fitted to the gearbox, and as I said, grounded when closed.

However, your idea to use the reverse lights voltage is actually very good, and VERY easy to achieve.

All you need is a commutation NPN transistor and a resistor, so you can ground your car stereo's wire when the reverse lights are on.

No simpler circuit than that actually exists... You can even solder the components directly to each other and wrap them into insulation tape if you're in a hurry.

Use for instance a 2N2222 transistor. Connect the collector to your wire, the emitter to a ground point on the car (there's one by the rear left tail light, ground wires are bolted there), and connect the transistor base to the reverse light positive wire through a 10 K ohms resistor (or you can use any value you've got handy, up to 22 k ohms). The resistor HAS to be used, or the base current will be too high and will burn the transistor.

You can also use a relay. It will then be even simpler, though far bulkier, of course...

Use an automotive relay ; connect both pins marked "85" and "87" to the ground, the pin marked "86" to the reverse light positive wire and the pin marked "30" to your car stereo's wire. Job done.

If you really need schematics, just ask. ^^
    Last edited by Z80; 23rd February 2013 at 10:22.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Year : 06

got same problem I have a pioneer one tried connecting it to reverse wire on light and on the reverse wire on the headunit and kept getting blank screen so I've just pit mine to my amp and just select it manually

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatch

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8VVTi 16v

Year : 2008

Mileage : circa 28K

My pioneer avh-3200bt has a dedicated input for the reversing camera - mine was £20 delivered from china via the bay

The power for the camera is wired direct to the reversing lights and the head unit automatically switches to the camera when I put it in reverse

Cant remember if there any other cables but iirc I don't think there are

Mods : Insignia Washer Jets,Boot & Footwell LEDs,Reverse Cam,Pioneer AVH-3200BT,Pioneer TS-Q172C(front),Alpine MRVT407 V12 Amp,Alpine SBE-1243BR 12" Sub,In Car Freeview TV,Heko Wind Deflectors,Airbox mod,K&N Panel Filter,Irmscher Boot Spoiler,Angel Eyes, 50W 5K HIDs, 30mm Lo lowering springs, Eyebrows,17" Fox Alloys,Powerflow Stainless Steel dual exhaust. Winner-Best I.C.E-Heritage Centre Meet 2013

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi Mayer mine is the 3300bt same unit which wires did u put on the headunit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 50000

Quote Originally Posted by davedrinks View Post
    My pioneer avh-3200bt has a dedicated input for the reversing camera - mine was £20 delivered from china via the bay

The power for the camera is wired direct to the reversing lights and the head unit automatically switches to the camera when I put it in reverse

Cant remember if there any other cables but iirc I don't think there are
    Same as mine, I select reverse and the reverse circuit powers my camera and 12v to stereo to activate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatch

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8VVTi 16v

Year : 2008

Mileage : circa 28K

Quote Originally Posted by marc vectra sri View Post
    hi Mayer mine is the 3300bt same unit which wires did u put on the headunit

Im sure the only cable connected to the HU is the video cable from the can but I could be wrong!

Mods : Insignia Washer Jets,Boot & Footwell LEDs,Reverse Cam,Pioneer AVH-3200BT,Pioneer TS-Q172C(front),Alpine MRVT407 V12 Amp,Alpine SBE-1243BR 12" Sub,In Car Freeview TV,Heko Wind Deflectors,Airbox mod,K&N Panel Filter,Irmscher Boot Spoiler,Angel Eyes, 50W 5K HIDs, 30mm Lo lowering springs, Eyebrows,17" Fox Alloys,Powerflow Stainless Steel dual exhaust. Winner-Best I.C.E-Heritage Centre Meet 2013

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

but wouldn't ya have to connect a wire to the reverse wire on the hheadunit for it to come on when ya select reverse I've got mime power to the amp on sub and it don't come on when I turn ignition on

Thread Information