User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Changed filter and oil today is there anything else I could do?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redcar
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Changed filter and oil today is there anything else I could do?

    Hi guys changed my oil and filters today and just curious if there anything else that can be cleaned. Ive heard this EGR thingy been mentioned is it worth a clean? Also I changed my oil and it was very smokey out the back for abit is that normal :-D

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    If you please give us some more details of what car this is presume a vectra but spec engine size petrol or diesel, mileage and year like 06 then we can tell you accordingly.

    EGR leave it alone if it's working only clean it if you have problems as touching stuff thats not broken can cause problems.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Jezzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    S.E
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtee View Post
    If you please give us some more details of what car this is presume a vectra but spec engine size petrol or diesel, mileage and year like 06 then we can tell you accordingly.

    EGR leave it alone if it's working only clean it if you have problems as touching stuff thats not broken can cause problems.
    2005 1.9 cdti 150 - all in his profile. PS, leaving stuff alone until it breaks is an opinion, not a universally accepted policy. Changing a timing belt before it breaks is one good example of how preventative maintenance is better.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redcar
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Its 1.9 diesel 150 55 plate new shape. It has about 65000 on clock mate :-) Iam not that mechanical and invested in a pro kit and give the car a service no probs. Enjoyed it and thought about cleaning some other bits up and heard of this EGR. I dont even know what the thing does :-D

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollercoaster63 View Post
    Its 1.9 diesel 150 55 plate new shape. It has about 65000 on clock mate :-) Iam not that mechanical and invested in a pro kit and give the car a service no probs. Enjoyed it and thought about cleaning some other bits up and heard of this EGR. I dont even know what the thing does :-D
    Fuel filter, air filter and check the brakes but if your not too competent leave them and ask a garage to do it.

    The timing belt will do till 10 years or 100k better to get it done about 85k.

    You could get the Haynes manual and have a read of that and see if you could perform some tasks of your own i don't know your limitations only you do.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    2005 1.9 cdti 150 - all in his profile. PS, leaving stuff alone until it breaks is an opinion, not a universally accepted policy. Changing a timing belt before it breaks is one good example of how preventative maintenance is better.
    Yes changing the timing belt before it snaps is just common sense.

    But how far do you go checking everything, Are you going to strip all things down and examine them or just wait till it fails?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redcar
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Thanks for the advice guys :-) What happens if timing belt goes does it damaged the whole engine or is there a safety mechanism?

  8. #8
    Regular Member wallace78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    belfast
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    timing belt goes it makes a mess of the inside of ur engine, not good and no safty device!!!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rollercoaster63 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys :-) What happens if timing belt goes does it damaged the whole engine or is there a safety mechanism?
    Yes bent valves and can damage head and pistons.

    Don't run the risk at 65k your ok, However it's also depends how you feel about it your car your cash.

    Me id leave it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Changed the fuel filter this morning
    By Ste in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st October 2010, 14:55
  2. Changed my fuel filter today....
    By mick.n in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th October 2010, 09:00
  3. oil filter changed but ..
    By jpdtm in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25th September 2009, 18:49
  4. Changed pollen filter today
    By Ben999 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11th April 2009, 18:51
  5. Changed my air filter, and found........
    By PeterVV in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th February 2008, 19:42

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •