Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default poor starting

Hi all,

just bought a 57 CDTI 1.9 estate. All fine but it takes a couple of turns of the starter to start, this happens with a hot or cold engine.

Is this something to worry about or typical for the vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When I start mine I turn it to ignition 2 and leave it for about 5 seconds, then it will start first time. If I just get in and try to start straight away it won't start, I assume the glow plugs need a few seconds to get hot, maybe others can confirm?

Frenchman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by kmx racer View Post
    Hi all,

just bought a 57 CDTI 1.9 estate. All fine but it takes a couple of turns of the starter to start, this happens with a hot or cold engine.

Is this something to worry about or typical for the vehicle?
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    When I start mine I turn it to ignition 2 and leave it for about 5 seconds, then it will start first time. If I just get in and try to start straight away it won't start, I assume the glow plugs need a few seconds to get hot, maybe others can confirm?

Frenchman
    KMX RACER.sounds like there is a problem of some sort,could be the glow plugs,is the car with spanner coming on at the start and then going away.The car should start first time unless it,s really cold,then you would need too turn on ignition and wait for the plugs to heat for about10 seconds or so,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I assume the plugs only heat up whilst the glow plug coil light is illuminated? Having a similar problem with cold starts but the engine light extinguishes on start up. Plus, thinking about it, the glow plug light is only ever on for a few seconds max even on a chuffing cold day! Any clues?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i am having the same problem as KMX Racer warm or cold. i have to keep the key cranked untill its totaly fired up. i can turn the car off then 1 min later try to start it its just the same takes a long time to fire up. in the morning i use the glow plug light even tried a couple of turns with the glow plug light . but makes no differance hot or cold. i have a 1.9 cdti it runs fine as i use it for a taxi. i asked a vauxhall mechanic and he said EGR before i could finish explaining my symptoms ! think he just dont carer as he only fits them he dont have to pay for them. lol. oh and i had a new EGR fitted a year ago it made no differance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by GarthTax View Post
    i am having the same problem as KMX Racer warm or cold. i have to keep the key cranked untill its totaly fired up. i can turn the car off then 1 min later try to start it its just the same takes a long time to fire up. in the morning i use the glow plug light even tried a couple of turns with the glow plug light . but makes no differance hot or cold. i have a 1.9 cdti it runs fine as i use it for a taxi. i asked a vauxhall mechanic and he said EGR before i could finish explaining my symptoms ! think he just dont carer as he only fits them he dont have to pay for them. lol. oh and i had a new EGR fitted a year ago it made no differance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry about that double post im new here & dont know what i am doing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused

From the number of posts regarding problems with 1.9cdti engines starting from cold there is obviously a problem with them. Its just a shame that there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer to what that problem is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Firstly when was the car serviced... Fuel filter clogged or filter housing with a tiny crack will cause the fuel to flow back towards the tank.
    What's the battery like, if the battery is fine then the starter motor itself could be at fault, in addition to this a failing dmf can cause the starter to fail or hamper starting speed.
    hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I service my car probably more than it needs as i use it for a taxi. Battery is fine. I thought it may be air getting in and allowing fuel to run back. The same problem the old Vectra used to have where if you parked it up hill it was hard to start and if you parked it facing downhill it was easy. It feels kind of like the same problem. But tried this parking both ways makes no difference and also can’t be this as it is bad to start even if you switch off and try to start straight away. Only thing i can think of is dust from the dmf in the starter as i read somewhere some one thought starter was ok but changed it anyway and was starting like a new car. But i don’t know i thought i will leave it till something breaks down then i will know for sure. But it just keeps going. Sometimes you get a good car sometimes a bad car. Think this one is a good one. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information