Thread: Oil trap /CCV / Atmos mod, an endorsement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Oil trap /CCV / Atmos mod, an endorsement

OK, The garage will remain anonymous as they wish to be so but, I had the car in the garage (Very large UK franchise Main dealer) today and after work was done the tech and his Workshop Manager both approached me.

"Errr excuse me do you mind a wee chat?"
    me,
    "No, what's up?"

"Your breather modification sir, very interesting how did you discover this one can we ask?"

me,

"Well you see,,,,,,, bah de blah,,,,,,,,,,, finished with so is it helping me?"

Reply. Not verbatim but close

By removing the oil it will drastically reduce the sludge build up that "kills" the intake swirl valve mechanism's and extend the life of the entire intake stream by double it's usual life if not treble it!"
    "we have seen a few do this and can tell you the difference is dramatic, we first saw it done in 2006 and the car is still on the original manifold"
    The CCV system is purely that of hitting Euro IV nothing more it is detrimental
    to the running of the car and we feel sorry for the owners now having to fork out many hundreds for new manifolds,,,etc etc"

People do you get the drift here so far??????

OK onto the EGR system, this is not serving a bad purpose and without the oil vapour will have a minimal disruptive effect as exhaust gasses have been recycled since the dawn of time, so they are far less harmful is the message.

I appreciate opinions vary and this was a workshop Manager at a Vx dealer offering an opinion along with the tech that worked on my car but even unofficially this mod is not all bad news!

My appreciation to Winnie2457 who actually got me thinking about doing it in the first place!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

That is good news m8.

Gazza4

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

TBH I find it hard to believe that an 'open to atmosphere breather system' would be much of a discovery to a well seasoned technician. But there you go.

Pre-Euro IV 1.9s also have the closed breather system, so there seems to be some misunderstanding there?

Just contacted my local VX techie and he says that open breathers are frowned upon in the work place and for obvious reasons!?
    Last edited by diesel dog; 17th November 2010 at 12:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking

Hi Derek.I'm so happy to read you post.It justifies all the doubts and worries that one has when doing something completely different to the engine,and,all the time,you believe,inside,that it can and will work because you can feel it.
    As I said in a post to DD yesterday,I have the CCV system,it's routed through an oil trap,venting to atmosphere.The piping runs along the exhaust system and is secured,towards the back box,and has a wire mesh filter fitted on the end to stop anything undesirable making its way back into the system,ie,water,stones etc.However,I honestly think that this would be an impossibility,given the "force" of the very positive pressure from the strong exhaust gasses.
    I checked the boost sensor the other day and it was as dry as you like,sooty,
    but dry.To me,that,together with your post on the garage report etc, justified everything that has been said on the positives,and gives all the doubters now, something to think about.
    Now,that recent conversation we had on the possibilities of time travel,I think, that if we just.................. FELIXX.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    As I said in a post to DD yesterday,I have the CCV system,it's routed through an oil trap,venting to atmosphere.The piping runs along the exhaust system and is secured,towards the back box,and has a wire mesh filter fitted on the end to stop anything undesirable making its way back into the system,ie,water,stones etc.
    At least you don't have it venting on your front tyre/brake!

You have it running alongside the exhaust system instead!? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by felixx View Post
    I checked the boost sensor the other day and it was as dry as you like,sooty,
    but dry.To me,that,together with your post on the garage report etc, justified everything that has been said on the positives,and gives all the doubters now, something to think about.
    Now,that recent conversation we had on the possibilities of time travel,I think, that if we just.................. FELIXX.
    TBH, despite all the emissions devices, the boost sensor on mine hasn't really ever been oily or sooty. Must be a well designed inlet manifold/EGR/breather system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post

TBH, despite all the emissions devices, the boost sensor on mine hasn't really ever been oily or sooty. Must be a well designed inlet manifold/EGR/breather system.
    That I think is the fundamental difference in the 1.9 to the 3.0 DD On the 1.9 look at the pics people post they are caked in wet soot! misread and fail then this tiny snapshot of contamination you see in the boost sensor is "Everywhere"from the pre intercooler pipes to the piston mouth and inlet valves!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
    That I think is the fundamental difference in the 1.9 to the 3.0 DD On the 1.9 look at the pics people post they are caked in wet soot! misread and fail then this tiny snapshot of contamination you see in the boost sensor is "Everywhere"from the pre intercooler pipes to the piston mouth and inlet valves!
    And caked is the operative word there m8.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post
    And caked is the operative word there m8.

Gazza4
    They really should have installed a drain **** on the bottom of the intercooler, if ever you see one that has split, it holds a massive amount of oil in there after a decent mileage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yip the intercooler collects it badly.