Thread: Temperature gage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Temperature gage

Hi, I have recently changed the water pump and cambelt/tensioners on my 1.9cdti 04 plate and i have noticed since that the temperature gage rarely moves off 70 degrees unless i am driving it heavily. Then it only moves up to around 78degrees before falling back down to 70. The heaters are blowing hot inside. Is this normal?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 150,000

In the recent cold weather, this has proved quit common.

What I would ask though is...whether your temperature gauge takes a long time to get up to temperature, as this would indicate a bust thermostat.
    This will also be apparent when travelling at speed, as the cold air passing the radiator will cool the coolant all the time.
    Only standing in traffic will allow the coolant to warm up significantly...more so in a diesel as they run cooler than petrols anyway.

I believe the typical temperature should be between 88 and 92 degrees as a guide value.

I wouldn't worry as long as fuel consumption isn't severly affected, and as long the temperature gauge doesn't go into the 100's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When iv been driving round town areas for a few hours the gage has barely moved, especially if i have the heat on. The highest i have seen the temp gage is just under 80 degrees. I was concerned that the thermostat may be damaged and the engine could be hotter than the temp gage is showing. The only other thing i thought it could be is an air lock as the temp was showing fine until i changed the water pump

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Scince i have fitted the fiat egr gasket mine only goes above 80 if pushing on a bit and if i let it idle with the heaters on the gauge drops right down to its stop it is ****** freezing up here though,same as you i still get roasting hot air out the vents even when the gauge is saying the engine is cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

so this is normal then? thanks for the prompt replies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I replaced the thermo on my 58plate 150 cdti as it was doing all of this. It now runs at 87 on motorway, heats up slightly quicker and heater roasty toasty so might be worth your while to have it replaced. The complete unit is usually around the 50 quid mark from the stealers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Replaced my thermostat and the temp gauge still takes age's to move off the bottom and when it starts to climb it will sit around 80-85 when i'm parked up with the engine ticking over you can watch the temp start to fall back down to the bottom of the gauge,just same as before really

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi guys, replaced my thermostat today. What a pig of a job that was with the heat exchanger but anyway its all done now. Its miles better than before, temp sits around 85degrees onced warmed up. Heaters are blowing red hot inside. Well worth doing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mbm_group View Post
    Hi, I have recently changed the water pump and cambelt/tensioners on my 1.9cdti 04 plate and i have noticed since that the temperature gage rarely moves off 70 degrees unless i am driving it heavily. Then it only moves up to around 78degrees before falling back down to 70. The heaters are blowing hot inside. Is this normal?
    Thanks
    From I had my water pump/timing belt/valves/rockers all replaced my MPG went from 41 to 35 mpg,the temp gauge too never seems to hit 80 any more,just thought it was the colder weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Engine : 1.8VVTi

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by topcat850 View Post
    Replaced my thermostat and the temp gauge still takes age's to move off the bottom and when it starts to climb it will sit around 80-85 when i'm parked up with the engine ticking over you can watch the temp start to fall back down to the bottom of the gauge,just same as before really
    My 06 reg 1.8 VVT Sri stopped heating up (temp gauge not moving at all and only warmish air getting through the vents) and I thought the thermostat was shot so dropped car off into a local garage where they found the thermo was fine but the thermo switch was ******ed. One new switch later and car is back upto normal running temperature (needle sits bang in the middle of temp gauge). Job done and a bill of £40. This happened early in December and I've had no probs since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information