Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default My cars full of water...

well snow anyways

It seems that some time last evening when it was snowing very heavily in Malvern, the key control switches in my pocket must have pressed against something and both windows opened about 1/3 of the way. This morning, there was a fair amount of snow inside on both sides. At least it's fresh fallen snow so clean, it's freezing so it's not melted so the bulk of it can easily be removed leaving only a small amount to melt so not much water.

There couldn't be a worst time for this to have happened - apart from heavy rain I suppose. It happened once before but at least it was dry and in the summer.

Is there a way to disable the window open/shut feature when the key switches are depressed for a time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Don't mean to alarm you mate but we've had reports that thieves are using a device that can do this to certain vehicles to gain entry to your car (i'm not 100% sure of the vehicles effected by this device but i'll have a look.) Either to steal from it or steal it full stop.
    May be worth checking the car to see if anythings gone???

Don't want to alarm anyone but before you dismantle your car and disable your features it may be worth exploring other avenues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cruize View Post
    Don't mean to alarm you mate but we've had reports that thieves are using a device that can do this to certain vehicles to gain entry to your car (i'm not 100% sure of the vehicles effected by this device but i'll have a look.) Either to steal from it or steal it full stop.

Don't want to alarm anyone but before you dismantle your car and disable your features it may be worth exploring other avenues.
    Nothing's gone and the windows were only about 1/3 down. All doors were still locked & I had to come in to get the keys to sort it.

When it happened before, it was at work (on a secure site so theft attempts extremely unlikely, although electronic 'interference' was possible) and the windows then were fully down.

I'm pretty certain it's just that the unlock button on the key was pressed against something in my pocket for long enough for the windows to partially open. As I never use this window open/close feature, I could easily live without it and I think there is a sequence by which it can be disabled but not sure what. Maybe it's in the manual somewhere or the Haynes workshop manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Was the drivers door unlocked as well then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if he locked it walking away and then unknowingly unlocked it/put windows down. The car would autolock itself after a minute so I wouldn't expect his doors to be open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cruize View Post

Sorry to hijack thread but, from your experience what are the most efficient safety features to get your car back if it's stolen and prevent stealing it? Loud alarm? Specific type of tracker? Steering wheel lock bar things? Gear box lock? That security film on windows so they can't be broken?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm going to be completely honest... If they want it, they'll take it. Now days with vehicle security being so good theives will break into your house (with you asleep in it) to get your keys to take your car.
    If you leave anything on display they will simply smash the window to get it. Those marks that are left on the window where a sat nav suction cup has been, theives will see this and break into it to just to check your glove box.
    Best suggestion is to leave the vehicle COMPLETELY EMPTY, leave the glove box open so theives will see this and more than likely they will leave the car alone. But if they want to steal it, it depends on the age of the vehicle and if the security systems are up to scratch. Like I said the systems are so good now days they will break into your house to do this. They are now known as OP VAMOOSE burglaries.
    With that in mind don't leave keys near the front door...
    Many people have a table by the front door they throw their keys on as they walk in or a convenient hook. Theives have been using fishing lines to put throught the letter box and lift these keys without even breaking in.
    Take the keys to bed with you. Extreme I know but what more is there you can do, and even this isn't full proof as 4 months ago a Lady on our area woke up to find a lad looking over her taking her keys off the side table next to her....

For your best chance of recovering the car if it was stolen then TRACKER is your best option. The tracker itself is installed in a random location anywhere on the car and this is very hard for theives to find and disable. Once activated Police can zone in to the vehicle and find it.
    Cat1 alarms like Clifford are a good option. Clifford alarms are good but won't stop a theif smashing your window for an item on display but do have the options of disabling the immobiliser etc if tampered with.

Sad times we live in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for that, knew about the whole satnav thing- on my vec I had a weighted pad you put on your dash that the satnav sucker sticks to rather than the window. And I keep the keys away from windows/out of view.

Would you know what the best tracker system is with respect to making it easy for the police to follow it up etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not really,
    All trackers do is send out a signal. traffic cars are equipt with the tracker equiptment and when one is close by the thing starts bleeping. The closer the bleeps the closer the car is. The traffic unit fit 4 aerials onto the roof of the car which help narrow down where the vehicle is but it litteraly is follow the beeps till they are really fast and the cars somewhere nearby.
    I'm pretty sure all trackers work in the same way. which one you buy is up to you as different companies offer different subscription deals. But does help lower your insurance if you have a active tracker on your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Alright cheers mate, now to make sure the insurance company don't take the ****.

When my mate had an immobiliser fitted to his car the insurance company wanted extra money saying it was a modification, even though it should actually reduce the premium!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information