Thread: drivers wiper juddering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default drivers wiper juddering

can someone help me please? i have just changed my wiper motor and when doing so broke my drivers side bosch aerotwin wiper which worked perfectly. so i bought some new ones and just the drivers side juddered straight away, thought it was the wiper so got an exchange and they did the same im now on my fourth set and all of them have done it straight out of the box. i have cleaned the window the wiper but still the same does anyone know what could be wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

New motor, new blades, same arms?

Could be the arms putting more pressure on the screen. Just a thought.

I know the blades are differnt lengths, but are the arms the same size. Could try swapping the arms over to see if problem persists.
    Last edited by gtr1000; 10th November 2008 at 23:42. Reason: added text

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

would be interest to see the comments on this one, because mine does exactly the same. I've always wondered if the previous owner had a windscreen change, and it wasn't fitted right, causing driver side not to be right... all just theorys..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The drivers side is 24"
    The original part is a low profile with spoiler
    Have you replaced it with a standard 24", standard 24" with spoiler, or low profile with spoiler?

My local VX dealership can no longer source the low profile with spoiler, so they are fitting the latest part from VX which is a standard 24"
    Mine was lifting from the windscreen at or above 50mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Interesting thread, because I too have experiencing wiper squeeks since putting Bosch flat blades on the car. Before I fitted them when they were brand new I gave them a few good wipes with isopropyl and could not believe the amount of what looked like black grime that was on the cloth. Similar to what you might expect from a film of graphite.

Due to the fact that there was little indication that this black stuff was not reducing much on the cloth after each clean I started to consider 2 possibilities. 1: I'd been conned and sold a second hand set...lol
    or 2: That bosch themselves coat the blades in something to reduce the noise when operating. When I came to try the blades out they squeeked all the time. In effect my blades were now squeeky clean..lol (slowly with use and a build up of grime they have become much quieter)

To back up this theory, I remembered when in Scotland on holiday a few months ago I decided to give the old original vx blades which had been on the car for almost 2yrs from new a good clean, using diluted vinigar. I should mention that they did not squeek at all before I cleaned them, but squeeked really bad after cleaning. Again... they were squeeky clean, and it seems that squeeky clean is not good for quiet blades, so I think they do put some form of coating on the blade to reduce the problems of squeeky blades.

Just give a brand new set of blades a wipe with a clean cloth and you will see what I mean. Just a theory. ?
    Last edited by 67688c; 11th November 2008 at 03:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My line manager has a VW Phaeton and while in for it's last service, they changed the wipers and he complained about the juddering that suddenly appeared. THey had it in for 2 days looking for the problem. in the end they changed the arms. It transpired, each time you lift the arms to change the blades it bends them slightly. New arms no problem. To test the theory leave it for a week and come back and change the blades, guess what, the problem came back so new arms again and no cost to him all on warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers mate thats what vx have just mentioned to me! Might give that a go its the only thing left to try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA C

Trim : SRI

Engine : 2.2

Year : 2006

Interesting post, had just noticed this problem with the drivers side wiper too. On closer inspection of the arm I noticed that there was some 'lateral play' with the housing that connects the arm to the blade. Two possible reasons for this imho:

A) During cleaning/washing I may have inadvertently stressed the housing when wiping the blade.

B) Over time, initial friction between the glass and the blade during windscreen washing, when the windscreen is at its driest, might be enough to stress the housing.

As suggested a new arm might be one remedy, but in my case I'm tempted just to get the rubber pliers out and gently squeeze the housing to eliminate the 'play'
    Last edited by izonoky; 11th November 2008 at 12:10. Reason: non, bulletin board timed out (again)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So I can scrap the Squeeky clean theory then? lol

Regarding stressing the arm, I bet a lot of drivers lift the arms back off the windscreen every time they wash the car, I tend to do that myself, and of course when cleaning the blades or changing them.

Food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Insignia

Trim : Cosmo

Engine : 2.0 CDTI

Year : 2011

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by vectragsi3.2 View Post
    can someone help me please? i have just changed my wiper motor and when doing so broke my drivers side bosch aerotwin wiper which worked perfectly. so i bought some new ones and just the drivers side juddered straight away, thought it was the wiper so got an exchange and they did the same im now on my fourth set and all of them have done it straight out of the box. i have cleaned the window the wiper but still the same does anyone know what could be wrong?

check the plastic clip of the wiper blade that fits in the metal hook at the end of the wiper arm...
    last week I had this juddering too (with GM flatblades) and the reason was that the clip moved into the hook.

I thought that my 1,5 year old flatblades were still fine, but now that I've replaced them with Bosch flatblades, the difference is huge

Thread Information