Hi,

Bought my 05 1.9CDTI vectra 79k miles at the beginning of may from a company car fleet so it was a private trade sale as such and so no warranty!!! soon after there seemed to be a vibration at approx 2.5-3k revs which sounded as if it might be something like a heat shield slightly loose and I didnt really pay too much attention to it.

I did 1k miles in it and the vibration seemed to disappear but the turbo was whistling/whiring quite loudly at all speeds/revs - Fault light came on and so a posted a thread here as it was only on with the ignition and went out when startring and so let it ride.

2 days before I was going abroad (got back today) when I was going to work there was no pull or turbo sound from the engine for part of the journey unit whoosh it kicked in and went like a rocket. Concerned as I was going on holiday i took it to my local Vaux dealer for a look. Fault light turned out to be a coked EGR valve which was removed, cleaned and refitted andf the fault cancelled. The mechanic took it for a test drive which was fine but noted the noisy turbo and said it needed investigation as it might be on the way out.

I drove the car to work the next day and there was no turbo at all or on the way home, i drove it steadily keeping the revs low as there was no power at all really.

My question is - does this sound like a turbo blown to you nice people out there that know about these things, could this be a wasetgate(i think, looking at other posts earlier this evening). If it is a turbo what is the best cheapest way to replace it. I can get a new turbo at trade approx £450+vat as opposed to £650+vat + fitting from vaux (total fitted from vaux is nearly £1000). Is this a job you can easily do yourself i.e. is it a straight forward bolt on or is it for the pro's. Can I run the car carefully without risk of further damage?? Are there any suggestions out there please.

PS I left the vectra at home and had to squeeze me, the missus and 2 kids 4 suite cases hand luggage and a push chair into a rover 25 to get to the air port - GUTTED ( all the reasons i bought the vectra!!!!)