Thread: help with brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry help with brakes

I have read through most of the posts regarding brakes.

However i only have 15224 mile on my vectra and the back pads and disks need replaced... i find this mad.

Am i wrong in that.

Surely no matter what your front brake pads would need replaced first?

And surely you would get an even wear pattern on your pads...

Attachment 10280

Attachment 10281

notice how its gone on one side more than the other,

Also this was the only pad like this.. the other pads had a good 2mm-3mm left on them....

Can this be right?

Any help really appreciated...

P.s Vaux dealer more or less told me that this is normal acceptable wear and tear and are looking £140+ to fit new pads and disks...

P.p.s the car is jan 2008 with 15224 miles on the clock.

Sarky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Blimey....my 2004 sri diesel has done nearly 60,000 on the original rear discs.
    Do you drive around with the handbrake on . Or seriously is the handbrake self adjuster not working?

Normally its the fronts that wear out first, Think i'd be inclined to have a full and frank discussion with the dealer as this cant be usual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewuk View Post
    Blimey....my 2004 sri diesel has done nearly 60,000 on the original rear discs.
    Do you drive around with the handbrake on . Or seriously is the handbrake self adjuster not working?

Normally its the fronts that wear out first, Think i'd be inclined to have a full and frank discussion with the dealer as this cant be usual.
    I have had that full and very very frank discussion with the dealer... they say nope perfectly normal...

To be honest i am still livid...

Also to top it all off my 2 year old nephew was in the car yesterday and was standing in the passengers footwell looking out the window for his dad coming out of the bank... he seen him and lifted his head (banging it on the windscreen, not hard enough to make him even say ouch) and my windscreen cracked.

Not having a very good week with my vectra.

Sarky

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A set of rear pads in 15,000 miles is definitely not right! The uneven wear is a good indication that there's some sort of binding - the caliper, or it not sliding over the guide pin smoothly etc. Either way, something is wrong there and I'd be having another 'full and very very frank discussion' with the dealer.

Re the windscreen, other guys have had screens crack for no reason. I think it's been attributed to basically bad fitting and this places points of stress on the screen, instead of it being over all the screen. All it then takes is a bit of a bump on the road, or in this case a head!, to then push it past that last bit and it cracks. Again, I'd be having words with the dealer for a warranty replacement. I's just say it cracked and not even mention the head hitting incident as it'll just give them a reason to try and squirm out of it. If your nephew had hit a properly fitted screen hard enough to crack it, he'd have been seeing Tweetie Pies!

Did the crack start from the edge of the screen? If it did then that's a classic symptom of the issue that others have had.

It's certainly not things you should be having on an 08 car after 15,000 miles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you can imagine the windscreen..

approx 12" in and 4" down from the top left passengers side..

thats where the crack has started and it moves from there...

in 4 different directions...

I got a second opinion on the pads from another dealer in the area and they too said it was normal...

I;m not happy with that and at the minute am very disheartened with the car.
    Vauxhall cust services also said nope... they take what the dealers say as proof....

My brother and my best friend are mechanics and they say the same about the brakes...that it sounds like a caliper of its slides or uneven brake distribution... to me its just not normal...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sarky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    if you can imagine the windscreen..

approx 12" in and 4" down from the top left passengers side..
    Yep, I'd definitely give that a go with the dealers as a faulty fitted screen at the factory. When I said the 'edge' of the screen I hadn't meant right from the edge (I wasn't clear) and I'm sure that's the kinda area that the other guys have seen their cracks start from. I know VauxVeteran had one go on his Vectra before he went all weird and got a Skoda so he may be able to add some input. There were other guys too but I can't recall who.
    I got a second opinion on the pads from another dealer in the area and they too said it was normal...

....My brother and my best friend are mechanics and they say the same about the brakes...that it sounds like a caliper of its slides or uneven brake distribution... to me its just not normal...
    Uneven wear can happen, but it's certainly not what I'd call normal or to be expected - and to go through a set in 15,000 miles is certainly not normal. Something must have been binding.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    I've just recently changed my rear pads and discs as the discs were a bit scored for some reason, and I noticed that the offside inner pad had worn a fair bit more than the outer pad. The pads had a bit of meat left on them but I changed both discs and pads anyway due to the scoring. I simply put it down to something binding slightly so I made sure I copper greased the pins up before reassembling. Given that the car has done 65,000 miles I'll expect that sort of thing to happen, but not on one that's done 15,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 2.0 Ltr Turbo

Year : 2004

Mileage : 38000

Cant believe that... summit up there ...ive just replaced all my discs and pads at 20k and they were still like new ..i would be back to the garage if i were you .. you would hardly get that driving with your handbrake on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My rear pads wore out first on mine after about 26K milesas well, which I thought was wierd, but the discs were fine.

The guy who now owns the car just changed the front pads as well, at about 35k miles. Again the discs were fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

right update on this...

After calmly telling them that i had spoken to my solicitor and that i replaced the disks and pads myself and have taken photo evidence which i will get verified as being faulty..

Guess what

they have told me now that they will be covered and are issuing me with a refund for both parts and labour.

Hmmmm

Strange how its works aint it...

Should have done that at the start and saved me the hassle....

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol, I guess they realised they were onto a hiding then!

Any joy with the screen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information