Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA C

Trim : SRI

Engine : 2.2

Year : 2006

Default Reconsidering Vectra purchase: Handbrake issue

This bugs the hell out of me, seeing has I'm about to commit to my first Vauxhall.

When I read about the handbrake failure problem on these forums, I initially dismissed it as a production flaw specific to those individual cars (or the people that owned them). It was the significant number of responses to the Handbrake thread that raised my concern. I'm hypothesising that the 'clunk' issue and the handbrake failure issue might share something in common other than just changing worn pads. If the handbrake clunks when you're parked on level ground then you're non the wiser, who's to say your cherished Vectra or Signum wouldn't have rolled if it had been parked on an incline? Related or not, it's still disconcerting (and I know about leaving it in first gear and turning the wheels to the curb, but that's just treating the symptom without addressing the cause). I googled and found this at carsurvey.org , along with links from the initial thread to an article in Which? and The Sun.

I've read scores of anecdotal stories, many as recent as June 07, of handbrake failed Vectras/Signums crashing through garden walls, crashing & writing off other cars, careering across dual carriage ways, it's by God's grace no one has been injured or killed; or that's what I thought until I read this from a poster at carsurvey.org
    Hi all.
    Well I can tell you Vauxhall have known about this Vectra Hand Brake / Parking Brake fault issue for some time as I have been talking to VOSA. I believe the reason they are keeping quite about this is due to them being investigated by VOSA and the police over this issue possibly causing a fatality in Manchester.
    The poster's right, this is an old problem that 's been bugging Vauxhall for almost a decade, the same poster continues:
    If Vauxhall admit there is a problem they are in serious trouble as they didn't recall when they knew about it. Vauxhall took my handbrake and destroyed it before VOSA could examine it before, despite my requests for it to be returned or examined.
    I am hopefully about to get Vauxhall to pay out on my case on the grounds they don't accept responsibility. If you contact me if the same thing has happened to you at p4business@yahoo.co.uk it will add weight to my case and I will give you all the information you need to get them to pay out to you in return.
    So please contact me at p4business@yahoo.co.uk if you want to claim money back or get the car repaired free of charge.
    Some of you know that I've just put a deposit down on an 06 Vectra but me missus and I reconsidering our position on this, and we're prepared, albeit very reluctantly, to walk away from the deal and Vauxhall's remarkable silence. This hurts because I genuinely do like the car and I also need it (by the end of the week) for my job, but the thought of being out of pocket by thousands, or bringing grief to another person/family is heavier.

I've tried calling my Vauxhall dealer this afternoon, unfortunately they're closed on Sundays. Rest assured this Monday I'm gonna print off everything I've found and demand an explanation.

Vauxhall took my handbrake and destroyed it before VOSA could examine it...
    As a community of enthusiasts we a have vested interest in approaching Vauxhall UK collectively, to bring pressure on them to act responsibly and come clean to reassure established and new customers alike.

'...designed in a coffee break by people who couldn't care less about cars?' Perhaps not, but Clarkson's scathing satire would not be out of place on this particular matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I didn't have any problem with mine in 18 mths of owning it, I just made sure it was on and it felt on, it doesn't say how many ppl had it let go who'd never had it adjusted at servicing time, or if they put it on or just gave it a casual tug and assumed it was on.

If it worries you at all, just leave it in gear and remember to either disengage it or dip the clutch when you go to set off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

TBH, I always leave my car in gear, always have done with every car i've ever owned.

I've not had any issues with the HB on mine, but it does seem that many have. I wonder what percentage of the total Vectra population has seen issues, and whether it is a significant amount?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I always put it in gear when parking anyway, driven too many old cars to fully trust any handbrake.
    TBH, I'm so impressed with my vectra generally that I am quite happy to live with the few niggly problems that they have.
    (Although the above mentioned letter could have been worded better!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ps, car in the picture looks good, is that the one you are thinking of getting? Nice colour

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA C

Trim : SRI

Engine : 2.2

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by BigP View Post
    Ps, car in the picture looks good, is that the one you are thinking of getting? Nice colour
    Yeah, I'm supposed to be going over on Wednesday to pay the balance, that's why I'm so torn over this issue, she looks so cool. It's a 2.2 Direct with 6k on the clock. I'm sure it's metro-blue, although the order sheet says ultra-blue.
    Last edited by izonoky; 3rd September 2007 at 01:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I wonder what percentage of the total Vectra population has seen issues, and whether it is a significant amount?
    Could a Poll be started on here?

Ref my previous post, I'm happy with mine and don't mind leaving it in gear when parked for piece of mind.
    However I can understand you being unsure, cause if I had heard about brake problems on a car I was gonna buy I would be dubious. (It is a lot of money)
    At the end of the day its what your happy with, best of luck mate whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've not had an issue with my 05 plate, but then I mostly leave it in gear as I've had problems in the past with handbrakes on various cars.

Don't let this put you off the car - nearly all manufacturers have problems with specific models (Renault with the Clio's bonnet, Ford with the self unlocking and dropping windows on the Galaxy, BMW with the brake servo issues etc etc) - and you may or may not be affected by it, you could get far worse elsewhere!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I haven't had any problems with my 55 plate cdti sri. I always leave it in gear anyway after my last car ran down the drive ,over a small wall and stopped in the neighbours drive (after it had hit their car). It ended up costing me £500 to rectify. The car was an 18 month old Honda Civic Type R. The one thing that i learned from this is ALWAYS leave your car parked in gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Quote Originally Posted by rosssri View Post
    ALWAYS leave your car parked in gear.