Thread: Tinted Windows

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tinted Windows

Ok so, a year or so a go I owned Citroen C2 VTS. I decided to get the windows tinted and went to a professional outfit to get it done.
    Now, at the time i had no idea about the legal implications of putting too dark a tint on the front windows so under, their advice went for a light tint on those and a dark/almost black tint on the rear windows.

My question is; Do any of you have any experience with having the same tint on the front side windows as the rear ones and have you ever been pulled for it, and if so, what happened?

thinking of getting the Vectra done but i dont wanna get 2 different tints again but at the same time, dont wanna have problems when driving around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

don't mess with the front one's. We all have tintman now........

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you put a dark tint on the rear and same on front then you're asking for trouble basically - and your light transmission would be of a level where they'd get you to remove them on the spot.

I personally think a light tint on the front, darker on the rear looks better visually - graduated effect - than having the same on both. It's also less likely to get you stopped as the contrast of the darker rear and the lighter fronts it's harder to suss if the fronts have been tinted. Even with the lightest tint on the front you'll still be under the 70% minimum transmission so not legal, but if you're unlucky enough to be stopped you'll be in the range where they get you to get a document stamped at an MOT station after you've taken them off.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That is pretty much what i thought. Ive seen loads of people driving around with both done but didnt want to risk it myself until i'd found out about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    If you put a dark tint on the rear and same on front then you're asking for trouble basically - and your light transmission would be of a level where they'd get you to remove them on the spot.

I personally think a light tint on the front, darker on the rear looks better visually - graduated effect - than having the same on both. It's also less likely to get you stopped as the contrast of the darker rear and the lighter fronts it's harder to suss if the fronts have been tinted. Even with the lightest tint on the front you'll still be under the 70% minimum transmission so not legal, but if you're unlucky enough to be stopped you'll be in the range where they get you to get a document stamped at an MOT station after you've taken them off.

D
    not quite right.....

your vehicle will be prohibited (PG9) but this will be delayed so you can drive it to a specified location. You must then remove the tints or replace the windows then return to the police to be checked again. The prohibition can then be removed (PG10) and you can go on your merry way. The reason you don't go to the MOT station or VOSA is that they tend not to have a tintman.

Thats we do in the Met anyway............

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by John35 View Post
    not quite right.....

your vehicle will be prohibited (PG9) but this will be delayed so you can drive it to a specified location. You must then remove the tints or replace the windows then return to the police to be checked again. The prohibition can then be removed (PG10) and you can go on your merry way. The reason you don't go to the MOT station or VOSA is that they tend not to have a tintman.

Thats we do in the Met anyway............
    Ah right - I thought there was an option where you went to an MOT station, but I see your point - why would an MOT station have a tintman type device.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I asked for some a while back. Came back as too expensive. they have to be calibrated every year and we needed at least 5 tintman. Someone else asked later and got them....

http://www.turnkey-instruments.com/e...ion=full&id=19

not being an advanced vehicle examiner (only a standard) I can only assume its not part of the MOT test.

Thread Information