User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any MOT Testers on here that could advise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 2.2 Direct

Year : 2006

Mileage : 84,000

I would urge them to check that as because we were asked so often, we called the DVSA and checked directly and were told what I stated above, that's why I go with that as it is what the authority that conducts the MOT tests quoted me

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

2. Likes Dog_Book liked this post
    Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

Quote Originally Posted by CLUB04 View Post
    I would urge them to check that as because we were asked so often, we called the DVSA and checked directly and were told what I stated above, that's why I go with that as it is what the authority that conducts the MOT tests quoted me

Don't worry i will do as it could cause one hell of an argument as i like to follow instructions to the word.

Many years ago i bought a supermoto from down south and had the daft idea to ride it 200 miles back. Anyway a traffic car pulled me saying i had raced of from them weeks back, once they could see i was the new owner calmed down then preceded to check my documents which they admitted and surprised that i was the first person with a newly bought vehicle with all the correct documents and them filled out correctly
    Last edited by Dog_Book; 28th August 2019 at 18:36.
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : VXR!

Engine : Z19DTH+

Year : 57

it's not what I believe, it's information from a group of lawyers, and a rather large insurance company.

if you click on the links provided, you can read it for yourself.

of course, I would never recommend to anyone to drive without an MOT, or continue to drive a car with any issues impacting its safety or roadwortyness, but my opinion is simply that.

because........SIGNUM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I fully respect your opinion and the beauty of human beings is that we all differ in our opinions.

Personally, my opinion is formed from advice given by the testing authority and over 100 years of MOT testing experience from having spoken to a number of different testers during my time working in the trade.
    As you say though, if it fails, just get it fixed and retested without driving it, nothing can go wrong then

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra C sri estate auto+ hatchback auto x 2

Trim : est sri auto hatch design auto x 2

Engine : 1.9 cdti 150 x 3

Year : 08/07

I've asked the question some time ago at the mot station that i have used for over 25yrs and the same guy as he is the sole tester. I normaly take our cars 1 month before the mot is due, thats so if it failed i could take it away and fix it in plenty of time before the original mot ran out .Failure rate is virtualy zero BUT last mot i had a fail ,i knew it possibly would on a tyre. I was warned that it was now without a mot even though i had a piece of paper with a valid date.I was also warned not to drive the car on public roads as it now had no mot.So now there is very little point in taking the cars early.
    Last edited by autov; 29th August 2019 at 07:56.

7. Likes CLUB04 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Thanks guys.

Regarding the car owner. I don't know them directly. It's some plonker down the pub who's a mate of a mate. Big of a bragger, no one is going to tell me what to do type of guy. You know the sort.

Anyway, from what I understand, his car failed the MOT for either having a leaking fuel tank, or the fuel pipes themselves. Either way, there is a constant fuel leak (petrol) from his car. No idea how much is peeing out. Happy to ignore comments made by the garage who carried out the MOT, and still happy to drive it around on the old ticket, regardless being told that it was in a dangerous condition and shouldn't be driven until repaired. I've since looked up the car's reg, and the list of advisories doesn't bode well either. Slight play in ball joints and wheel bearings. corroded brake pipes. etc.

Interesting that a garage has no responsibility over allowing the car owner to drive off with dangerous defects. Granted they can't hold the owner to ransom, but surely there is a duty of care?

Like I said, a plonker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They can report him to the police who can then keep an eye out and maybe catch him in the act of driving, but once he has paid for the MOT test, there isn't much more the garage can do.
    It's frustrating, have been in that position myself where have watched someone happily drive off after being told their vehicle was dangerous and somehow, these people seem to never get caught

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elegance

Engine : 1.9 CDTI (120)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Thanks guys.

Regarding the car owner. I don't know them directly. It's some plonker down the pub who's a mate of a mate. Big of a bragger, no one is going to tell me what to do type of guy. You know the sort.

Anyway, from what I understand, his car failed the MOT for either having a leaking fuel tank, or the fuel pipes themselves. Either way, there is a constant fuel leak (petrol) from his car. No idea how much is peeing out. Happy to ignore comments made by the garage who carried out the MOT, and still happy to drive it around on the old ticket, regardless being told that it was in a dangerous condition and shouldn't be driven until repaired. I've since looked up the car's reg, and the list of advisories doesn't bode well either. Slight play in ball joints and wheel bearings. corroded brake pipes. etc.

Interesting that a garage has no responsibility over allowing the car owner to drive off with dangerous defects. Granted they can't hold the owner to ransom, but surely there is a duty of care?

Like I said, a plonker.
    @LastOne, well called

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

@bonehead:
    Let me make my statement clear:
    if you book the car in you are allowed to drive it to the MOT station (only if you have insurance).... BUT when it doesn't pass the test... you aren't allowed to drive it back without having it repaired and pass the test... it is overruled by the new rule that the last MOT test result is the one that is the legal one and the only one they'll be looking at...

So if it fails it is best to not drive it, tow it back to where you do your repairs and bring it back for the MOT when done.

This is not scaremongering by the way it is the law... I just cut out all the legislation around it, and a solicitor might be able to use said ruling and legislation to get you out of the the fines and prosecution but you'll still be without the car since the cops would have taken it and crushed it... of course you'll need to be stopped first whilst driving without a valid MOT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatch

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8VVTi 16v

Year : 2008

Mileage : circa 28K

Quote Originally Posted by CLUB04 View Post
    I fully respect your opinion and the beauty of human beings is that we all differ in our opinions.

Personally, my opinion is formed from advice given by the testing authority and over 100 years of MOT testing experience from having spoken to a number of different testers during my time working in the trade.
    As you say though, if it fails, just get it fixed and retested without driving it, nothing can go wrong then

Wow Russell @CLUB04 for someone with over 100 years MOT testing experience, I thought you would look older!

Mods : Insignia Washer Jets,Boot & Footwell LEDs,Reverse Cam,Pioneer AVH-3200BT,Pioneer TS-Q172C(front),Alpine MRVT407 V12 Amp,Alpine SBE-1243BR 12" Sub,In Car Freeview TV,Heko Wind Deflectors,Airbox mod,K&N Panel Filter,Irmscher Boot Spoiler,Angel Eyes, 50W 5K HIDs, 30mm Lo lowering springs, Eyebrows,17" Fox Alloys,Powerflow Stainless Steel dual exhaust. Winner-Best I.C.E-Heritage Centre Meet 2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information