Thread: rear brake pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default rear brake pads

car went into garage for mot and service,passed mot in morning,then they done service,garage phoned telling me car was ready,they hit me with a bill for £417,without my knowledge they had replaced rear brake pads,now there is a knocking sound coming from rear brakes,car went back to garage and they told me i would have to pay for somebody to look at it,p****d off is an understatement !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI XP1

Stand by your ground mate. Unless you authorised them to do work without contacting you then you shouldn't have paid for the additional work. Also, just tell them that if they don't check it, i'd be there whilst they did, just say your going to trading standards due to a likelihood of poor work having been carried out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

only found out when i went back to collect car,car was fine when it went in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This trader has broken the law, any and all additional work MUST be authorised by the owner
    Now that it is faulty, they MUST complete the work and there should be NO charge

Check the back of the receipt for warranty terms of repair work (usually limited to 1000 miles / 3 months)

Make it clear when you return the car to them for the remedial work you are unhappy

If you are asked for additional payment refuse, as the repair is covered under the Goods and Services Act
    If they still insist on payment make it clear you are doing so under protest (this is important when reporting the matter to Trading Standards and following through to court)

Once this has been completed, report the matter to local Trading Standards
    You probably won't get the original costs back, but it will certainly highlight this shonky trader...
    If Trading Standards report back that they agree with your report, you can then proceed to court and could probably get a judgement for the "additional" costs above what you had initially approved (ie Service and MoT)

As for the knocking noise, you will probably find they have either fitted the wrong type of pads or used an inferior brand
    As they will be clean and new, take a look at them, there should be a GM mark and part number clearly visible on them
    You could go on stage further and ask this same garage to refit the original parts, they should have retained them (and equally, offered them to but were not given the option as they had already completed the work; the two garages I use know I want the parts back and no longer ask now)
    Last edited by m8internet; 9th April 2012 at 12:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    This company has broken the law, any and all additional work MUST be authorised by the owner
    Now that it is faulty, they MUST complete the work and there should be NO charge

Check the back of the receipt for warranty terms of repair work (usually limited to 1000 miles / 3 months)

Make it clear when you return the car to them for the remedial work you are unhappy

If you are asked for additional payment refuse, as the repair is covered under the Goods and Services Act
    If they still insist on payment make it clear you are doing so under protest

You probably won't get the original costs back, but it will certainly highlight this shonky trader...
    If Trading Standards report back that they agree with your report, you can then proceed to court and could probably get a judgement for the "additional" costs above what you had initially approved (ie Service and MoT)

As for the knocking noise, you will probably find they have either fitted the wrong type of pads or used an inferior brand
    As they will be clean and new, take a look at them, there should be a GM mark and part number clearly visible on them
    Exactly and when your sorted - name the garage on the Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just checked receipt,you are spot on,going to take car back out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

This trader has broken the law, any and all additional work MUST be authorised by the owner

If they still insist on payment make it clear you are doing so under protest (this is important when reporting the matter to Trading Standards and following through to court)

You could go on stage further and ask this same garage to refit the original parts, they should have retained them (and equally, offered them to but were not given the option as they had already completed the work; the two garages I use know I want the parts back and no longer ask now)

Any addition parts should have been authorised by yourself prior to fitting them. I would also ask for the old pads back, and have done this in teh past. This a main dealer btw? TBH £417 seems steep. £50 for an MOT, £200 tops for a service, so that £167 for rear pads and fitting...... I dont think so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DasArab View Post
    =This a main dealer btw?
    There isn't a VX dealership in Montrose (in fact there are hardly any others)
    The nearest would be Forfar, and they come HIGHLY recommended
    Otherwise it would be Dundee (Arnold Clark) or Aberdeen (Peter Vardy)

Equally, I would be shocked if it is Guthries (who used to have some dealerships in Montrose) as I've not heard anything negative about them either...
    Last edited by m8internet; 9th April 2012 at 13:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Equally, I would be shocked if it is Guthries (who used to have some dealerships in Montrose) as I've not heard anything negative about them either...
    Yea they still do, Ford Dealership. My dad bought his Mondeo from there last year and was happy with the service from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

I would be tempted to speak to your Local Trading Standards people before you go to the garage. They are usually very good and will hopefully give you all the acts and sections of the law that apply to this sort of thing. Also get the name of the person you spoke to. Throw all this at them when you get to the garage and they will know you mean business. The first advice TS will give you is to approach the garage yourself and tell them your concerns - don't mention Trading Standards - keep that in your back pocket until you get their response - ask to speak to someone in authority as soon as you get there - never know they might come around and sort things out. If not throw the TS stuff at them and take it from there. Getting a County Court summons (in England - not sure about Scotland) is easy and cheap enough. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information