Thread: nearly had a heart attack!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default nearly had a heart attack!

I did my front drop links and anti roll bar bushes this afternoon, droplinks were simple enough, access to arb bushes really tricky. First one took an hour or so...it was getting that front bolt back in that was the problem. Second one much easier...
    Anyway, got it all back together, put wheels back on, packed up my tools and had a shower. Then took it for a test.
    At first it seemed greatly improved,so I'm really chuffed with myself for having done it. Then I noticed a worrying vibration from suspension every time I eased off on gas. It was getting worse and worse....a deep rumbling.
    I felt sick. I was sure I'd done everything right. Maybe I'd damaged something with the jack? Oh god...I was imagining the reaction of my mrs and her family...a lot of people I know have expressed doubts about my ability to do stuff on my car. One of my mates, who as far as I know has never lifted a spanner, said ''not the shocks mate, i've never done anything with the shocks'' and couldn't be told otherwise, even when I explained what droplinks were.
    I was imagining the smirk on the mechanics face...''so, you thought yu could do it yourself did you? We see it all the time...got the instructions off the internet I suppose?''
    Then I realised. Before i lowered the car off the axle stands, I had only done the wheelnuts up loosely, cos its easier to do em with wheels on ground....
    I was actually gibbering with relief as I tightened them up. The car is driving lovely now, nice and firm round corners, no tramlining any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good job mate ,well done,and you know what ,i have done exactly the same on an old mk 2 fiesta in 1984,never done it since mind...the moral is you learn from your mistakes or others mistakes if you read this forum often enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatchback

Trim : Life(well it was)

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 166000

i always make sure that once ive torqued the nuts on that wheel up i put atleast 1 cap on and then when im finished i replace all the caps, so then the rule is dont drive it till the caps are back on and then even if you get distracted you know which ones have been torqued which when your in a workshop is helpful. if i were yuo i would wip the wheel back off and check the bolt holes and the bolts themselves for any damage, if in doubt replace them, they are only a couple quid each

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

I once took a Mk1 Cortina for an MoT after a friend had helped me change a macphersom strut. It failed because we'd forgotten to bolt the bottom of the strut to the lower bracket......ten minutes with a spanner and it passed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've also done this. Torqueing the wheels when the car is fully on the ground is the correct way to do it. I've seen someone try while the car was on stands, snapped two wheel bolts and warped the disk on the other side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatchback

Trim : Life(well it was)

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 166000

remind me never to let you near my car :P

grumpy that is lol

and how the hell did he do that with the brakes no it wouldnt be a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI

Year : 2013

You know mate, this story takes me back when i was 17 and driving the old ladys car. One day decided to do the brakes for her (Hillman Avenger) WYP 566M if anyone has seen it let me know? Anyway back to the brakes, done them then lowered the car and being well chuffetd with the job decided to test the brakes in a hurry. Started the car rolled down the hill and pressed the pedal- sound job. turne round the corner then all of a sudden i heard a weird noise and vibration through the steering- my heart was in my mouth- thinking i have bust the dear ladys car. Stooped got out and all of a sudden realised i hadn't tightened the nuts. I go the spanner out and hey presto. But for a minute (well ten seconds ) i thought i was a dead boy walking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've also done this! Looks like we've all learnt though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ha don't feel so bad now. The relief was incredible. For five minutes I was suicidal....I was sure I'd done drop links and bushes right so I thought I must of damaged sonething else in the process. Good idea to check bolts tho i will do that....I'd never be allowed to touch car again if a wheel fell off with Mrs. in car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just done rear bushes...thought they would be easy after doing the front. The drivers side was, just a simple unbolt and refit job. But the other side was a nightmare...the bridle would NOT go back over the new bush. Only brute force and fairy liquid and about halfan hour of grunting and swearing did it in end. Thought I had finally gone in over my head. It was all worth it when it popped back on. Oh well thats it for now....maybe upper control arms next...but i'll wait and see what mot says in may.

Thread Information