Thread: Has anyone used Activ8 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Has anyone used Activ8 ?

My CSMA club magazine plopped on the doormat last week & an article in there mentions this oil additive called Activ8. Has anyone used it?

I won't bother putting a link to it as it's easily found on Google. Apparently it uses chlorinated hydrocarbon technology but I'm more interested in whether (A) it's OK to put in to my 3.0 CDTi and (B) are the benefits (if any) likely to justify the thirty quid price tag?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Activ8, thought my pal from Stafford (Nexus 21) had come back!

Additives in a diesel?
    Waste of time, it's an oil burner
    Try a premium diesel and compare
    I used our BP Ultimate Diesel for 4 weeks, no difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

altern8 ( top one nice one get sorted) good days
    Last edited by The Gas Man; 6th March 2011 at 00:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by The Gas Man View Post
    altern8 ( top one nice one get sorted) good days
    They lost the plot by then, much better as Nexus 21
    Shame Spotify pulled most of their records from the free listing, but I still have them all (copied and converted to mp3 for personal use)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm all for a bit of irrereverant banter but are there any serious opinions? Combustion engines regardless of the fuel they use are "oil burners" but we are talking lubrication here. The 3.0 CDTi uses synthetic lubricant oil.

I've never contemplated "additives" but after a few guys on here talking about Millers fuel additive I'ver used it & have been impressed. 10% improvement in fuel consumption.

As for Activ8

The website is http://www.simplan.co.uk/ and they have a video on their home page which seems on the level. I'm not interested in the petrol head versus diesel dawg argument. Some honest feedback would be great. If some of you have the same questions as me (regardless of fuel type) then get stuck into the thread!
    Last edited by RhayaderSax; 6th March 2011 at 03:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Signum

Trim : Sport

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 12/03

After using a fuel cleaner you might experience a blocked fuel filter, which will give similar issues you'd experience with faulty SCV's. I never noticed an improvement in economy, but I still use additives every now and then.

Regular Member VectraElite 2.2DTi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the video from Activ8Universal looks impressive! the oil additive you were on about I take it ?

im going to get some certainly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just spent a few hours reading about this stuff,because the demo was rather good.Below are a few bits I liked from reading other peoples comments.I found very few people saying that they tried it and it worked.
    BTW I found a fair few saying never never use Slick50
    Use a good quaility oil and change it often seems to be the overwhelming advice (something I have also read on this forum many times)

Quotes
    I think the truth is well known by now that the additives used by the oil manufacturers are just about spot on and that you can only make the oil worse by titting about with it.

pretty impressive demo though intit? when you press down on that torqe bar and friction stops it at 30lb , then its about 100 with activ8
    If you put washing up liquid on it it would make a hell of a difference but i wouldnt put it in me engine and you wouldnt put KY jelly in it neither.

I would not recommend that. Basically all these addictive will reduce friction on the moving parts, but at the same time they will block the oil pipelines which will reduce the oil supply, which makes thing far worse than not putting anything in the first place.

In all honesty, couldn't really dispute their claims but, as a couple of posts said why haven't the oil companies incorporated these miracle products into their own, and, most of these miracle cures are coming from small independant companies not multi-nationals I went to a car show, there's a guy selling a Muc-off derivative, so I say to him how much for your coloured water? It's not water Sir. Excuse me, but the label says Aqua

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After the SCV were blocked in my Y30DT I wrote to all the petrol companies I had used
    I was sent all kinds of proof as to the level of lubricity in their fuel, although some did refuse to provide specific details of the additives used (and I know why)

The current BS EN 590 outlines the minimum lubricity required
    This is due to the sulphur removed during the maunfacturing process and so replacements additives are used to increase the lubricity above the minumum level required

My main concern was that although the lubricity is increased, what about the other additives which may affect the SCV
    Without this list of additives I was not able to take this any further

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This stuff isn't a fuel additive. It's an engine oil & transmission fluid additive. Whilst I might be tempted to add some to my engine oil, I'm not even contemplating adding it to my auto gearbox.

I too was very impressed with their little video demo. I take on board Wolfinn's comments about additives coating things & blocking them up but their website makes the following statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 on their website
    ...contains no solids such as PTFE, Zinc, Silicone, Molybdinum, etc., ACTIV8 doesn't coat and therefore will not interfere with fibre, cork or kevlar (all mineral surfaces OK!) working surfaces. Also tested with and used successfully in composite soft sintered/mineral plates. ACTIV8 Friction Reducer only works when the working surfaces are metal to metal and will not negatively effect non-metal working surfaces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information