Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra - Hollow Car?

Does anyone else feel that the vectra sounds hollow after a few years? Whilst driving around town, going over bumps, potholes and manhole covers, it seems that something is loose, causing a hollow noise within the car. I think it might be the parcel shelf, but not sure. My brother used to own a Vectra B before I could drive and when getting into his car and shutting the door, it sounded like a tin can/hollow. Is it just me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I can't stand the noise anymore. It annoys me that much that I don't want to drive my car My fiancee says it sounds exactly like it did when I bought it, but it doesn't to me. My task today is to find out what it is and hopefully sort it out. It definitely isn't the parcel shelf as I took that out a couple of days ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Something for you to try, dont know if it will be the cause of the noise but it was on my old SRi.

Open the boot, on the inside of the boot lid (where the handle is to pull it down) there is some carpet effect stuff. where that meets the rear window there is a small piece of plastic that serves no purpose, pull that off. It comes off really easily. Solved the noise problem on my old SRi after i suffered for 2 years and then got to the point where I had to find the cause. It was also the first thing I removed when I got the VXR.

Give that a try matey and let us know if thats helped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That little bit of plastic was more rubber on my car. I pulled it off, then drove round the block. It's not really any different, but when I tap the carpet stuff, it gives off the hollow noise that I get when driving. Might take the carpet bit off, see what happens after that. Thanks for advice on the plastic bit though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Whilst driving around today, I noticed the noise is getting worse. I don't normally drive with the radio off, but tonight I did and have come to the conclusion that it might be the exhaust. Me and a mate have tried to move the tailpipes, but they are non-movers (which is good) but I realised the exhaust goes all the way to the flexi-pipe. It sounds as if it is wobbling. Will be getting someone to have a look at that tomorrow or Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had this today!!!!! Drove me mad looked around the boot area to find the rear seats wasnt properly clipped
    Back in if u know what i mean, jus push em forward and slam em back and make sure they locked in, let me know if this helps m8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It isn't the back seats. They were one of the first things that I checked Thank you all the same

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, today was interesting. Went out this morning with just the hollow noise (like a wobble) so took it to longlife exhausts, see if they could help. Bloke asked me to take him for a spin to hear the noise and then got it straight onto the ramp after that. They cut two welds/mounts and then re-welded them free of charge. Unfortunately, the noise is still there Whilst driving some more, I started to hear a tinkling from the rear of the car (WTF I thought is happening to my car). Took it to a mates, revved the f*** out of it and found that it was the black plastic surround attached to the tailgate. We took it apart and found one of the clips loose, so fixed that, but just to make sure, we put sellotape over all the little metal fixings/clips. Job done, no more tinkling .
    I have also taken the car to a couple of garages saying that the engine sounds too noisy. They just shrug, say nothing is wrong. However, when revving the car to 1000-1200rpm and then back to idle, I can hear a grinding noise. If the DMF is on the way out (which mine is) could this make the engine vibrate (more than usual). It is really bad when pressing the clutch. My mate was playing with the clutch and I was about 30-50yards away and could hear it grinding .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Check the front engine mount that can make and annoying droning noise when its on its way out.

If this is the cause get a new one and put a bead or 3 of black silicone around the new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2007 Vectra

Trim : SRi XP T Saphirre Black

Engine : z20net

Year : 2007

Mileage : 80k

When my DMF went, the engine vibrated rather a lot at low revs George! Infact, it was becoming near impossible to move of from the line. Also, full press of clutch rattled its head off as well as half press.

Since new DMF, silence, and no vibration................. anywhere Drives like a smooth petrol turbo now.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information