On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Hello from a convert again

Hi, I joined last week before being deleted by the hacker. I have just bought a 2008 Vectra SRi with the 150 bhp 1.9 CDTi engine. I have been driving Ford Mondeos (Mk3) for the last few years, a 2002 LX TDDi and a 2006 Edge TDCi (115bhp). Before that I had owned a series of Skodas. The reason I have replaced my car was that the DMF was failing and I was quoted £1200 to get it repaired. I had originally intended to get either a MK 4 Mondeo or the MK2 Skoda Superb. I test drove both. I just did not like the look of the Mondeo close up and I could not find a Superb with the 2.0L TDi in my price range. The easier to find and cheaper 1.9TDi is not powerful enough because I tow a caravan. I then seen a 2007 Vectra SRi 120bhp diesel in a local used lot. I was not that interested because of how many times I had read the Vectra was **** compared with the Mondeo etc, and indeed I had driven the Mk1 Vectra (B?) as a hire car and had not rated it. However I have always liked the looks of the Mk2 Vectra so I took it for a test drive and actually really liked it. Despite what every journalist has written it seemed to handle as good if not better than my Mk 3 Mondeos had, and the engine was more refined. I decided against the car because of its age and high miles (44,000). However it now ment that the Vectra was in the picture. I found a 2008 150bhp SRi CDTi at a local Seat dealer at a good price (about £2000 cheaper than a similar age Mondeo Mk 4) with 31000 miles. It was mint inside and out, drove just was well as the 120bhp one and the extra power was noticeable and would be useful for the caravan. I decided to buy this car and was lucky that as it was pouring with rain the dealer did not spend to much time looking at the Mondeo, did not start it and failed to notice the DMF problem so offered me a good trade in value. I also managed to get him to have a towbar (with dual electrics) and rear parking sensors fitted at no extra charge (plus a rear number plate to match the Vectra for my caravan, and a years extended warranty to start when the Vx warranty expires).

I picked the car up this Monday and was delighted to see he had coloured coded the sensors (which initially he was reluctant to do). I have so far been impressed by the car. I do miss the auto head lights (drove of last night with no lights on) that my last Mondeo had, and I admit the Vectra seats are no where near as comfortable as for some stupid reason they have pronounced ridges at either side. I think I will need to put a cushion in the middle to raise it to the level of these ridges, as they don't half dig into your hips on a longer journey. I also discovered that the air con does not work. The LED lights but the air does not cool. I have booked it in with the dealer to have this sorted on Monday. On a positive note I towed the caravan yesterday and in comparison with the 115bhp Mondeo you could hardly tell you were towing. Only downside is that with the lower suspension and bigger wheels with the van hitched up there is not much space left in the arches above the wheel and I had to be very gentle towing the van out over the speed ramps at the exit of the caravan site. Other than that just a couple of niggles. Why does the rear bumper number plate lights light when the interior lights are on?, and why oh why does the stereo come on every time you start the car even if you had last left it turned off? I would prefer it to remember the last off/on state the way the stereo did in every other car I have owned did.

All in all the Vectra has both pluses and minus points compared with the Mondeo, but over all if I can solve the seat comfort issue I feel I will like it better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Welcome back mate I have just had to rejoin myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

welcome bk .......ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

welcome back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

alrret mate, welcome back, bet youve saved a few quid not being able to get on here eh?

Thread Information