Thread: mot's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default mot's?

well replaced the flywheel & clutch (what a job)would'nt want to do it again, done the £1 fix on swirl valves, took for mot and failed, drop links (I can understand as a bit of play) brakes passed all checks, then get fail notice sayin front brakes worn & rear brakes have surface rust(visual)now if the brakes passed the test ,how come they fail a visual test ??? did'nt think there was any visual test in a mot? or am I wrong,
    so now replacing both drop links and all the brake discs (front & rear as well as pads), anybody else had this happen to them ?
    steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia 2.0L CDTI SRI hatchback

Trim : Black leather

Engine : A20 DTJ 128 HP

Year : 2009

Mileage : 126,000

Thumbs up

I am a vehicle examiner "m.o.t. tester" classes 4 & 7, sounds like your car passed its foot/handbrake efficency tests, but failed on its service brake condition. The term "service brake condition" covers all the braking system components i.e. disc, pads, pipes, hoses, and cables, should any of these components be deemed to be in a badly worn, poor condition, dangerous, then the tester can fail the vehicle and refuse to issue a test certificate....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by omega63 View Post
    I am a vehicle examiner "m.o.t. tester" classes 4 & 7, sounds like your car passed its foot/handbrake efficency tests, but failed on its service brake condition. The term "service brake condition" covers all the braking system components i.e. disc, pads, pipes, hoses, and cables, should any of these components be deemed to be in a badly worn, poor condition, dangerous, then the tester can fail the vehicle and refuse to issue a test certificate....
    I fully understand that, however I dont consider light rust (car had been standing a month or light surface scoreing as a fail, most brake discs have scooreing on them due to the stuff they put in the brake pads now) I personaly think the garage was after more money for jobs,hold my hands up over the drop link but not the brakes, have replaced all of them now but when took old ones off no way were they worn badly enough to fail virtualy no lip whatsoever just light scoreing from pads on the fronts and none on the rears just surface rust(which would have gone once brakes were used a bit, actually took em in & complained didnt get anywhere tho waste of time, still its done now but wont be going back there(halfords) in a hurry.On another note if anybody requires a brake cable (one that fits the front disc for warning light for a vecrta B (bought new in error mines a vectra C)let me know have a new one still sealed.
    would also like to ask if anybody can point me in right direction, keep getting bulb warning light coming on, for front right bottom spot, thing is it's working,not blown, tap the light or move the wire and waring goes out, so what do I look for , bad earth? conections or look somewhere else?
    any hel welcomed
    thanks
    in advance
    steve
    Last edited by steve alan; 15th January 2011 at 14:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia 2.0L CDTI SRI hatchback

Trim : Black leather

Engine : A20 DTJ 128 HP

Mileage : 126,000

Thumbs up

Surface or "flash" rust is not grounds for failure and like you say minor "grooving" or wear to the braking surfaces of disc also. Sounds like they were after your money ££££....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.6T SIDI Petrol

Year : 2014

am putting my wife's car in for MOT on monday by a place i do not normally use, the disks have rust on them from all the weather we have been having but if they fail them i will tell them to do one and take the car elsewhere to have it retested..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_nige View Post
    am putting my wife's car in for MOT on monday by a place i do not normally use, the disks have rust on them from all the weather we have been having but if they fail them i will tell them to do one and take the car elsewhere to have it retested..
    problem is they have had your money for the mot ,think there is quite alot of this going on garage's are after your money,once they get it dont think they care if you go elseware
    maybe we could get a post started with garage's that have done this and list the one's to avoid

halfords stockport has my vote to avoid as far as mot's go not only do they charge to much ,but want near £28 to retest on top
    Last edited by steve alan; 16th January 2011 at 17:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.6T SIDI Petrol

Year : 2014

they may have my money but they will also hear my opinions before i part with it... what they think of me does not concern me.. I will leave knowing I have spoke my mind and tell all the peeps i know not to use them.. However I will wait till tomorrow before i cast aspersions on this place doing the MOT...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Mileage : 85000

Surface rust normally disappears after the first few times the brakes are used. Just take for a run and give it a few heavy brake actions. Ive noticed that sometimes rust may build up on disc surfaces and cause pitting, the pitted then doesn't really disappear through braking, to the OP this is maybe what he's was seeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by steve alan View Post
    problem is they have had your money for the mot ,think there is quite alot of this going on garage's are after your money,once they get it dont think they care if you go elseware
    maybe we could get a post started with garage's that have done this and list the one's to avoid

halfords stockport has my vote to avoid as far as mot's go not only do they charge to much ,but want near £28 to retest on top
    I live in Stockport and only go in the Halfords there when I have no alternative.I think they are very expensive overall,understaffed,and the staff you can manage to get hold of,are lazy,and disinterested with a couldn't care less attitude. FELIXX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My local FORD dealership was offering a 'no pay' if your car fails MOT,

I thought this was good deal if you had a car that may fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information