Thread: Well after 24 years driving, I finally got

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy Well after 24 years driving, I finally got

my first notice of prosecution for speeding... 40 in a 30 zone ( rushing my teenage daughter to meet her friends, going down a hill trying to find somewhere no-one knew directions to!).. no excuse, my fault entirely.
    Cant fill the form in cause I cant find my licence anywhere! ( havent seen it for years ), had car booked in for service on Monday, now will have to cancel as I cant find my licence to get a courtesy car...........I need a drink!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

£10 says your license is out of date. Happened to my housemate, needless to say once he went to court and paid all his fines and then got anally raped by his insurance company, he got all sorted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

How can your license be out of date.It doesn't expire until your 70 and even then all you need is a medical.I still have the pink driving license and its still legal.Its only if you apply for a change of address or convictions that they insist on it being the new photo id one.Correct me if i'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mines renewed every 3 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you've moved house and haven't told dvla its a £1000 fine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Might not be out of date, somewhere I've still got one of the old paper licenses (before the photo ones came out), been at current address for 13 years though moving before the end of the year so I hope I can find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra-C

Trim : sxi

Engine : 1.9 CDTI

Year : 2005

old-style licences are good until you're 70, unless you move or there are conditions to get it renewed more frequently/earlier (i.e. periodic medicals).

New-style photo licences are valid only for 10 years; and they were first issued in 1998, therefore the first people issued with photocard licences need to get them renewed. There was a story in the news about this a few weeks ago.

NOTE: It is the photo-card itself that expires - not the entitlement to drive vehicle categories (i.e. B-Car); which are age-related.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    Mines renewed every 3 years

Licences used to continue until your 70th birthday, and then you have to fill in a self certificating statement of ability to drive and you get another which lasts for 3 yrs, you do not have to have a medical. Do you have to pay for a new photo licence every ten years now then.? I notice the expiry date on my photo licence is my 70th birthday, which is only 4 yrs away for me.

However your own doctor or a hospital doctor in the event you have a condition which they consider affects your driving, can and will request you do not drive until they say its okay, in the event you continued to drive you would not be covered by insurance, and your licence would be ineffective because you have breached the conditions which entitled you to hold a licence, your doctor can also notify the DVLC in effect cancelling your licence. When I had a heart attack I was not allowed to drive for 3 months, same again after heart surgery. Doing so would be a serious offence. In these instances the DVLC ia automatically notified anyway, they in turn send you a blue form back which you have to fill in and return, after you have ticked the required medical statement boxes.

Why is your's renewed every 3 yrs ? HGV/PSV ?
    Last edited by 67688c; 8th November 2008 at 01:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra-C

Trim : sxi

Engine : 1.9 CDTI

Year : 2005

Link to a PH thread -
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...0&t=583204&i=0

and as reported in the daily mail.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-expire.html

check the date of part 4b, the driving licence expiry.

You are right that vehicle entitlement expires at 70, but photocard could expire before that.

and yes - it looks like payment is required

Regular Member silverhairedracer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron43 View Post
    Licences used to continue until your 70th birthday, and then you have to fill in a self certificating statement of ability to drive and you get another which lasts for 3 yrs, you do not have to have a medical. Do you have to pay for a new photo licence every ten years now then.? I notice the expiry date on my photo licence is my 70th birthday, which is only 4 yrs away for me.

However your own doctor or a hospital doctor in the event you have a condition which they consider affects your driving, can and will request you do not drive until they say its okay, in the event you continued to drive you would not be covered by insurance, and your licence would be ineffective because you have breached the conditions which entitled you to hold a licence, your doctor can also notify the DVLC in effect cancelling your licence. When I had a heart attack I was not allowed to drive for 3 months, same again after heart surgery. Doing so would be a serious offence. In these instances the DVLC ia automatically notified anyway, they in turn send you a blue form back which you have to fill in and return, after you have ticked the required medical statement boxes.

Why is your's renewed every 3 yrs ? HGV/PSV ?
    Only 3 months loss for a heart attack,you were lucky ! I had a minor seizure a few years back and they took my licence away for a year !,
    Glad this topic came up just looked at my photo licence and it only has another 12 months on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information