Thread: Anyway to find a car/reg owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Anyway to find a car/reg owner

Is there any way of finding a car owner I had dealings with?
    I went to buy an iphone 4 from him, and to cut a long story short, I handed over £300 for the phone and on the way home the wife realised it was fake. Have txt and phoned to meet with him to get it sorted but for obvious reasons he doesn't want to do this as he wont answer his phone he parked next to me in a red mitsubishi lancer evo, with the reg PH---P private plate he said his name was Phillip so I assume the reg spelt this out. I have tried on askmid a few different combination of the reg but drawing a blank. Is there anyway I can find were this b***ard lives so I can get my cash back?
    Any help would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

I'd take it to the police. They'll be able to pull up cars that match the description from a partial reg - don't take the law into your own hands.
    Dodgy way to buy a phone, why didn't you insist on meeting at his house?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have been to the police they say they cant really do anyting as the guy is not a company and he did not say it was a genuine apple iphone.He did tell me he got it from the carphone warehouse.I put an ad on gumtree looking for the iphone so he has no details on there.They were not intrested to be honest.
    The guy gave me his post code and address and told me to phone him when i got to the street as he was at morrisons and he would come round and meet me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy1954 View Post
    I'd take it to the police.

I'd have tended to agree, but the OP is in Scotland and AFAIK their law in relation to fraud offences is very different to that in England & Wales; the way I understand it is there is no Scots equivalent of the current Fraud Act, but only a simple common law offence of fraud.

It may be from the full information he has already given to the police that there is no offence made out for them to investigate

I stand to be corrected though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bobobaldy View Post
    The guy gave me his post code and address and told me to phone him when i got to the street.
    You're part way there then. If you think his name is Phillip, goto http://www.192.com/people/advanced/ and do a search on what info you've got. With a bit of trial and error (such as just street name and forename to start with) you might be able to track him down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit'n'nut View Post
    I'd have tended to agree, but the OP is in Scotland and AFAIK their law in relation to fraud offences is very different to that in England & Wales; the way I understand it is there is no Scots equivalent of the current Fraud Act, but only a simple common law offence of fraud.

It may be from the full information he has already given to the police that there is no offence made out for them to investigate

I stand to be corrected though.

Ah, hadn't realised it was Scotland. Fair enough. Not sure how else to try a partial reg, from the rest I'd assume anything he said was likely false.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bobobaldy View Post
    I have been to the police they say they cant really do anyting as the guy is not a company and he did not say it was a genuine apple iphone.He did tell me he got it from the carphone warehouse.I put an ad on gumtree looking for the iphone so he has no details on there.They were not intrested to be honest.
    The guy gave me his post code and address and told me to phone him when i got to the street as he was at morrisons and he would come round and meet me.

Ok, have you tried something like AA routefinder or Streetmap, does the address exist? may be worth a prowl round the area to see if you can spot the car, otherwise, have Morrison got CCTV? If this was going on on their premises/carpark they may feel like helping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

He gave you his address and then met you in Morrisons and the phone was fake. Seriously alarms bells should ring. The guy probably drove past a house thought that will do and passed it onto you. Sorry to say mate you have probably lost your money and will never see him again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy1954 View Post
    Ok, have you tried something like AA routefinder or Streetmap, does the address exist? may be worth a prowl round the area to see if you can spot the car, otherwise, have Morrison got CCTV? If this was going on on their premises/carpark they may feel like helping.
    I txted a few times to ask about the phone and said i would meet him about five .I asked him for his addresss for the sat nav so he told me he lived in east kilbride and his post code was G75 9BL.He said give him a phone when i got there as he might still be at morrisons.When i got to the street thats what i done .He was there in a few min at the street that he gave me which was quiet and dark.I have had a look round the area but cant see his car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi

Trim : S8

Engine : 4.0

Year : 03/17

Mileage : New.

try joining www.lancerregister.com and ask about there, im not saying hes on there or would come forward but just maybe someone on there knows him or knows something about him that will help ya. good luck !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information