Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Default Thermostat change 1.9Cdti 120

Apologise if this has been raised before, which I am sure it has - I've just spent all morning trying to replace the thermostat my 1.9cdti 120 - ended up putting it back together with the old one still on. The stainless steel heat exchanger that is fastened to the lower thermostat housing nut was the problem - even with the nut removed it is as solid as a rock - seriously considered cutting off the bracket at one point but decided not to. Have searched the forums and I am struggling to see how it comes off - some mention of 2 bolts at the back of the engine block but I couldn't see them - also is it safe to undo the two clamps at either end of the exchanger and would this help, ie would the pipes connected pull out of the exchanger?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

there is a bracket on the heat exchanger than does hold it to the block with two bolts and its a pig to get at. It's round the back of the block, you should see a bracket comming off the exchanger at right angles. Yes it is safe to undo the clamps holding the exchanger to the pipes and thats the only way you can get it to move clear on the thermostat, just be careful of any gaskets that fall out, as i believe these can't be bought seperately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by barney490 View Post
    there is a bracket on the heat exchanger than does hold it to the block with two bolts and its a pig to get at. It's round the back of the block, you should see a bracket comming off the exchanger at right angles. Yes it is safe to undo the clamps holding the exchanger to the pipes and thats the only way you can get it to move clear on the thermostat, just be careful of any gaskets that fall out, as i believe these can't be bought seperately.
    Thanks for that I'll have to give it another try - but to be honest it is so firm with the nut removed I am tempted to cut the bracket off and gain access to the bottom nut that way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I believe some have done that. It's just crazy how the designers of these engines make it so tough to change a simple thing like the thermostat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by barney490 View Post
    I believe some have done that. It's just crazy how the designers of these engines make it so tough to change a simple thing like the thermostat.

I did it last week Lol its a nightmare stupid ****** designers Glad I did it but as ive said you need hands like a small child! And yes I did cut the bracket off (used a cutting disk on a drill) Its still secure without it

Now it goes straight to 83ish after 3-4 miles glad I did it tho made the beer after Soooo much nicer after

Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i cut the braket off,no real reason for a bracket its held at both ends,do ureself a big favour get a hacksaw blade,the less things you take apart the less problems arise.
    the bloke who decided to put the nut under that bracket should be shot lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tugger434 View Post
    i cut the braket off,no real reason for a bracket its held at both ends,do ureself a big favour get a hacksaw blade,the less things you take apart the less problems arise.
    Agreed buddy!! I'l hold you gun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by westonprawn View Post
    I did it last week Lol its a nightmare stupid ****** designers Glad I did it but as ive said you need hands like a small child! And yes I did cut the bracket off (used a cutting disk on a drill) Its still secure without it

Now it goes straight to 83ish after 3-4 miles glad I did it tho made the beer after Soooo much nicer after

Justin
    Thanks for the replies - sorry Westonprawn looked but for some reason could not find your previous threads re this - I'll cut the bracket off rather than disturb that lot - bit of a bodge but as been said its solid enough without it- no doubt it will rattle eventually but at least I'll know what it is - Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tugger434 View Post
    Don't know how you cut it with a hacksaw its thick stainless steel, couldn't saw it or even drill it - I did mine today undid all the bolts and hoses on the heat exchanger and even then it would not budge eventually managed to undo the bottom bolt with the stud on (cut the stud off first) and levered the bracket away far enough to clear what was left of the stud and then got the thermostat out. Once it was out easy to angle grind the bracket off and then just bolted the thermo back on.
    Running great now with the needle well up in the 80's and like an oven inside.
    Thanks again everyone for their advice.

Thread Information