Thread: EGR and DPF problems...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default EGR and DPF problems...?

I cleaned the EGR out a week or so ago (but didn't clean the solenoid out out as per http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showpo...7&postcount=20 ).

Car (1.9 150 CDTi) was fine for a week or so then I got the emission light on with code suggesting "air intake system leak detected". As the car's going in for service next week anyway and there weren't any other symptoms this wasn't a problem. Plenty of time to get in the queue for a new EGR valve... Should arrive sometime next year..

However 2 days later the management light has come on and the car keeps dropping into "limp home mode". The code this time reports that the DPF sensor is out of range. This is, I believe, Vauxhall speak for the DPF being clogged. As the car has had ample opportunity to regenerate this shouldn't have happened.

So
    Has the borked EGR mucked up the DPF regen cycle or could it just be coincidence? It's a pain and it's booked in for next week anyway but it's supposed to be taking us down to the south of France in three weeks..! Last time the DPF played up (Knackered sensor in the end) it took half a dozen visits to the dealer to get it right..

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Your EGR recirculates some of the exhaust gases back into the induction side of the engine to be burnt again.If this process isn't taking place,then your DPF is trying to take on more than it can chew,hence the problem you have.

I can't help but feel that engines would run far more effectively,efficiently and reliably without all this emissions **** attached to them!
    Last edited by diesel dog; 4th May 2008 at 13:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    I can't help but feel that engines would run far more effectively,efficiently and reliably without all this emissions **** attached to them!
    Amen...

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by FiscusFish View Post
    Amen...
    I mean look at the Vectra! First of all they have to fit the air box with a plastic tube so that it can pass some ridiculous noise test,so straight away it's already on the back foot.Then they compound this by fitting a filter that's twice as thick as it needs to be.They then programme the ECU so that it uses as little fuel as possible on the official fuel consumption thingy,so we end up with flat spots and the like.Then they fit it with an EGR which basically makes the engine eat its own **** and then what eventually comes down the exhaust as to contend with not only a catalyst but also a DPF.

So basically what you have under your bonnet is an asthmatic,constipated nervous wreck that eats its own ****! I'm surprised the things manage to get up in a morning!

Thread Information