0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Club

Engine : Y20DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 79k

confused blower only works on 4

new post about my heater blower wont work on 1-2-3 only on 4 now i know it cant be the blower its self because i connected a bulb to the power cables that lead to the blower and the same happened the bulb only lights up when on 4 so it cant be the blower, im just puzzled now on what to check ive changed the resistor so i know its not that what i dont understand it is when i test the blower wires with out it being connected it shows 12v on 1-2-3-4 soon as i connect it to the blower or the bulb it only shows 12v on setting 4 is there a fuse anywhere that controls 1-2-3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes m8, there is an open thread with tips. Mebbe summat on how2 as well.

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143421

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by hebblemarine View Post
    Yes m8, there is an open thread with tips. Mebbe summat on how2 as well.

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143421

thats my thread but it dont answer my problem ,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

wasn't paying too much attention, sorry...

but what about rich r's post on the first page about the thermal fuse and 'speed 4 only'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

wasn't paying too much attention, sorry...

but what about rich r's post on the first page about the thermal fuse and 'speed 4 only'?

brand new resistor (and fuse) i just dont get it at all what im going to do is plug my voltage meter in the blowers poss and neg and see if i get different readings all speeds im running out of ideas to check
    Last edited by chris1804; 6th August 2011 at 20:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds sensible and you should get different readings as it's the resistor pack that controls the speed IIRC.

Bit of a naff design IMO, cos they've saved a few £ by not having a motor that is hardwired for different speeds at the expense of something that burns out and creates a repair bill for them netting them more money.... Oh, I think I've just hit on 'built in obsolescence' factor. Will shut up and go away now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds sensible and you should get different readings as it's the resistor pack that controls the speed IIRC.

Bit of a naff design IMO, cos they've saved a few £ by not having a motor that is hardwired for different speeds at the expense of something that burns out and creates a repair bill for them netting them more money.... Oh, I think I've just hit on 'built in obsolescence' factor. Will shut up and go away now

nar mate i need all the info i can get, the resistor aint gettin hot at allbut power is ettin to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OK, I've not looked into the resistor thing myself... but one day will do, cos my speed 1's packed up... but...

The fan motor will draw a few amps. A few amps at 12V is a few watts (watts = Volts * Amps). A few watts is something you can feel. A soldering iron is 20 - 80W, a 60W light bulb gets hot, etc.. Point being that the resistor pack should get warm in use (on speeds 1,2,3). It won't get warm if there's no current flowing through it. There's no current flowing through it, as speeds 1,2,3 are not working. Speed 4 bypasses the resistor pack and gives the motor the full 12V. Therefore there is no current flowing through the resistor and it does not get hot... if you catch my drift...???

If you have a multimeter, try measuring the resistance of the individual resistors in the pack, if you can. The values should be finite (have some value) i.e. not --- on the meter (indicating an open circuit).

Some voltage should be appearing at the motor when speed 1,2,3 is selected. If there is none, then there is a fault in either the resistor pack, or the wiring between the pack and the motor.

Hope this is of some help... I kind of know where I'm going with my train of thought,... just not sure if I can drag anyone else along for the ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OK, I've not looked into the resistor thing myself... but one day will do, cos my speed 1's packed up... but...

The fan motor will draw a few amps. A few amps at 12V is a few watts (watts = Volts * Amps). A few watts is something you can feel. A soldering iron is 20 - 80W, a 60W light bulb gets hot, etc.. Point being that the resistor pack should get warm in use (on speeds 1,2,3). It won't get warm if there's no current flowing through it. There's no current flowing through it, as speeds 1,2,3 are not working. Speed 4 bypasses the resistor pack and gives the motor the full 12V. Therefore there is no current flowing through the resistor and it does not get hot... if you catch my drift...???

If you have a multimeter, try measuring the resistance of the individual resistors in the pack, if you can. The values should be finite (have some value) i.e. not --- on the meter (indicating an open circuit).

Some voltage should be appearing at the motor when speed 1,2,3 is selected. If there is none, then there is a fault in either the resistor pack, or the wiring between the pack and the motor.

Hope this is of some help... I kind of know where I'm going with my train of thought,... just not sure if I can drag anyone else along for the ride

yea another meber said the relay im going to check that tomorrow thanks for the info

Thread Information