0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reccomend me some winter tyres please

Probably one for our members that have propper winters rather than the light snow showers we have here but can anyone reccomend me some good winter tyres.

Thank you in advance

Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_zigmond View Post
    Probably one for our members that have propper winters rather than the light snow showers we have here but can anyone reccomend me some good winter tyres.

Thank you in advance

Stephen
    Ohh, there are alot to choose from. Question is; can you buy them in UK? This test is a pretty good one. Here is another one. Sorry it is in Norwegian, but by looking at the points they give, you get a hint. If you try to get some of these tyres, please be aware that only one letter or number change in the tyre description can be a completely different tyre. This is studless wintertyres, the 3-4 top is very good tyres, and also pretty expensive. There is a equivalent test but for tyres with studs, but this is maybe not legal where you live? These tyres are only designed to do its job in low temperatures. Above approx 10-15°C these tyres is very bad, way too soft!
    Bent, my name is Bent
    Mods: I polished it in september...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Fikse. Very helpful links. Studs really wouldnt be worth while round here, but the idea of winter tyres is something I keep thinking about so when I upgrade the alloys on my new car im going to put some one the standard rims.

Thank you again

Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Fikse. Very helpful links. Studs really wouldnt be worth while round here, but the idea of winter tyres is something I keep thinking about so when I upgrade the alloys on my new car im going to put some one the standard rims.

Thank you again

Stephen
    I belive this must be the best winter upgrade possible Yes it is some money, but still you wount using them alot. And correctly cleaned and stored they will last for many years.
    Here, we would risk loose our driving license if we used "summer tyres" now, and only idiots (well, there are some of them here..) would use summer tyres here now. It is absolutely a complete different world using good wintertyres. Some here complain about the Vectra capabilitys on snow, but for my case this is the best 2WD car Ive ever had. Ill guess the heavy weight on my DTi (with autogear) is one important reason, but yours is at least as heavy I belive? Today I use Continental Winter Viking, stud tyres where I removed the studs, in way to large dimensions: 215/50-16. Still they doing a proper job, but when its alot of snow, especially if the snow is heavy and wet, the wheels will float on top of the snow, kindeof aquaplaning or slushplaning Next time Ill get some studless 195/60-16. I prefer studless because of noise and that we pay alot taxes to drive in the city with studs. Studless tyres is just as good as stud tyres, on snow, comparable on dry ice, but studtyres is alot better on wet ice. Studless tyres, because of its very tiny segments, is sensitive for dirt/salt, so its an good idea to wash them regularly. On your car (if your car is at least as heavy as mine, and I belive it must be?), I would consider 195 or maybe 205, depending on your driving. If you drive most on highway and "high" speeds (winter tyres is of course not designed for high speed driving), you might prefer the wider one. Still, the different tyre models can have pretty big difference in actual grip width. You can find 195 tyres that has same width or even wider grip surface than a 205 tyre, so its nothing wrong by looking at them in real life, before you descide

BTW: I have maybe best experience with Michelins. Not always the winner of reviews, but they are normally in top five ranking, they last longer than many other brands (Nokian Hakkapelitta Q has been the worst for me, only 10.000KMs on a small engined Toyota), and I have not had any Michelins with faults, but with some other good brands I have had troubles with circular vibration, felt as vibration in steering wheel, and no possibilitys to get rid of it.
    Bent, my name is Bent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you once again. Your experiences are most helpful. Its always good to hear the experiences of thoes with "real" winters :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fikse

Very useful..thanks.

Perhaps here in the Uk we may have to adopt something similar. Then perhaps everytime we get 2" of snow we dont get stranded. I have use of a pool car (Focus Est) i have found this the worst car in the snow, the astra's and vectra whilst a little slippy are ok. If these all had winter tyres maybe they wouldnt be all that bad in the the snow and ice we seem to get.
    Maybe it worth looking at, albeit there are rumours flying all over about in future our tyre will have a shelf life regardles of wear and its rumoured around 6 years, so storage maybe an issue here if this does become the latest rule. Lest wait and see on this, but if it gets use around with a hugely expensive tyre then maybe worth investing!..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you once again. Your experiences are most helpful. Its always good to hear the experiences of thoes with "real" winters :-)
    Glad to help. Anyway, my back hurts alot, so Im stuck to the sofa for some days anyway

Then I need some advice from you guys when I go abroad and into a highway Here max speed is 80Km/h or 50mph. Well, at least someone told me this
    Bent, my name is Bent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fikse View Post
    Glad to help. Anyway, my back hurts alot, so Im stuck to the sofa for some days anyway

Then I need some advice from you guys when I go abroad and into a highway Here max speed is 80Km/h or 50mph. Well, at least someone told me this
    where you going?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fikse View Post

50mph? Jesus we moan about our 70mph limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    Fikse

Very useful..thanks.

Perhaps here in the Uk we may have to adopt something similar. Then perhaps everytime we get 2" of snow we dont get stranded. I have use of a pool car (Focus Est) i have found this the worst car in the snow, the astra's and vectra whilst a little slippy are ok. If these all had winter tyres maybe they wouldnt be all that bad in the the snow and ice we seem to get.
    Maybe it worth looking at, albeit there are rumours flying all over about in future our tyre will have a shelf life regardles of wear and its rumoured around 6 years, so storage maybe an issue here if this does become the latest rule. Lest wait and see on this, but if it gets use around with a hugely expensive tyre then maybe worth investing!..
    With decent you're not stuck in 2" with the Vectra. I have just wrecked my front bumper "lip" (the black thing in bottom of bumper) for driving to much in snow. On ice you anyway have to take it very easy, but with wintertyres its possible, with summertyres just forget about it. When I see at our traffic, the Focus Estate is doing great in winter, nothing wrong with that car. If it was really bad, I would have seen it _outside_ the roads, but so far mainly SUVs and Mercedes Ill find there Those SUVs should have been banned! Worst car ever made for slippery driving
    Yes, there are rumors here also, about tyres, especially winter tyres. But this is only true if you store them wrong. You must clean them, taking care all detergent is gone, then store them cool and dark, preferrably in a plastic bag, and supported by the rim, the rubber should not carry wheight. Then you can have them for many happy years, without loss of qualities.
    Where I live, we didnt have real winters for many years now, until this winter. Only a few days with snow, the rest with slush and a bit ice, most days with plus degrees. Now we are back in business, like it used to be when I was a kiddo (im 40 now). Snow has been perfect for skiing for at least a month, our neighbour kids plays with an ATV on the pond just at our house. Its so much fun with it! Our 2 year lad loves it! Have used several big parking lots to play with the Vectra at night time. Have you tried to reverse the car, full throttle, with full steering to left or right? In some snow, this makes a big snow fountain
    Bent, my name is Bent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information