Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Coolant leak

I've had my 04 Vec (1.8 petrol) for 3 years now and am very sad to say that I've encountered my first problem (well, problem that I'm unsure about how to fix)

A couple of days ago I started my engine and got the coolant warning symbol on the dash, so I checked the expansion bottle, found the level about an inch or so below the line and topped it up. Just assumed it was because of the mentally low temperature. There is antifreeze in there (well I assume Nationwide put antifreeze in when they did my water pump... it's bright yellow) so I thought no more about it.

Today I took the car out to a mates house, about 10 miles away. When I went to leave, the coolant light came on again and I was worried to find the level had dropped an inch again. Filled up and carried on home, only for the light to come on again about a mile from my house.

Strange thing is that when I was driving the temp indicator dropped to minimum (less than 80c I think), but when I stopped, it climbed back up again to around where it would normally be when driving in winter.

Ran the engine on the driveway and took a look under the bonnet, but saw no visible leak. There was a fair bit of flakey rust around the right hand side of the exhaust manifold (the only bit I could see without removing the cover), but it looked like it had developed over a long period. I ran it for about 10 minutes while I checked for leaks, but the level didn't drop any further, again just sitting about an inch below the "cold" line.

I found that if I revved the engine, I'd get spurts of water from the tailpipe, but I'm not sure whether these were simply condensation, or the result of a leak somewhere...

The car has done 65k miles without significant problem and has been well maintained (by me anyway, that might not count as "well"!) Water pump replaced along with cambelt 11 months (12k) ago.

Anyone got any ideas for me?
    Last edited by DNS; 6th January 2010 at 19:47.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Coolant leak

Hi guys,

Sorry to post in the wrong place, but need advice on this asap...

Just started a thread in Troubleshooting about a coolant leak on my 1.8 petrol Veccy.

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99174

Any ideas for me, only got one day to sort this out... not helped by a load of snow and no garage!

Cheers!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 131,000

I assume that you've checked all coolant hoses for being secure and free from splits.

There is usually a coolant coloured powdery residue where the leaking is occurring.

As you are loosing just on inch, it could be a poorly sealing header bottle cap.

As the water pump is only 11months old, I would not suspect this...I tend to get about 6 to 7 years out of mine on average.

Are the carpets clean and dry inside - potential for matrix leak, but this isn't that common on a car only 6 yrs old.

If you suspect the head-gasket, which your concern about excessive water from the exhaust infers, then check for pressurisation of the coolant header tank.

Run the engine from cold for just a few minutes, not long enough to let the coolant get hot, but long enough to allow combustion gasses to build up.
    Then take off the filler cap...pressurisation from the combustion process should make a hissing noise like opening a bottle of fizzy drink.
    Or get a garage to put a gas-tester probe in the coolant bottle to check for exhaust fumes.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Coolant can only go one of two places....

Out or In.

Check your oil filler cap for signs of emulsified oil (white/yellow gunk).

Your however more likely to find its an external leak, the trouble is leaks can go anywhere and you won't necessarily see a drip underneath the car where you might expect to see one and in this weather you'd be hard pushed to tell whats coolant and whats road water.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Might be worth phoning around any local garages and asking if they can pressure test the system which will hopefully show where it's leaking, also check carpets in the footwell area/centre console for any signs of water/ coolant as it could be the heater matrix failing, just another thought , have you noticed with engine running if the coolant is bubbling in the tank as this could indicate blown head gasket.
    Cheers Pete

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers guys, I'll go and take a look in a while... Unfortunatly it means braving the snow and sub zero temperatures.

Car is due it's MOT on Monday at a local independent garage, if the worst comes to the worst I'll leave it with them to sort.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi, had the same thing happen on my 1.8sxi. Someone on here suggested looking under the bonnet wen the engin is hot, in this cold weather you might see steam escape from where the leak is. It worked for me, I saw it was the radiator that was corroded and leaking.
    Also the temp guage dosen't work if the coolant level is too low.
    Bil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Leak is coming from the offside bottom corner of the radiator, near the plug. Looks corroded, but i can't see too well.

Any idea how much it will cost for a replacement including fitting?

Thread Information