User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cdti150 no power :( I mean really no power. It wont even rev in neutral :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default cdti150 no power :( I mean really no power. It wont even rev in neutral :(

All,

I have ABSOLUTELY NO POWER in my cdti150 when cold (-4.5c this morning)
    it was ticking over happilly but stuck my foot to the floor in neutral and it took a good 20 seconds for the revs to get up to 2500... then the turbo spools up and it starts to pick up a little better. after 5 mins of trying to rev it, it eventually starts to get enough power to actually move the car - after 35 miles of motorway it will do 80mph (i suspect ) but have to drop it to 5th or 4th to keep the speed at around 70 when going up hill.

even when it's warm (water temp reading 72) it still has less than 50 bhp going by the feel of driving it. If I can keep the turbo spooled (2500-4k rpm) it seems happier but is grunting a bit.

I'm at a loss as to why this is happening - I don't think it's the injector wiring (although this needs changing - judders at idle sometimes) because the engine is running perfectly smoothly

there are a few possibilties:

something under the car went clonk when reversing off my 'driveway' over that annoying chunk of kerb that sticks out... but I can't see any damage to the exhaust and it doesn't sound any louder

it's been running with low oil for a couple of thousand miles which might suggest I've killed the turbo although the oil pressure light never came on and it does pull when the turbo is spooled.

EGR valve needs replacing/cleaning but that would go so suddenly would it?

Fuel level went down very very low and I filled up from asda right before they ran out of diesel too so might have crap in the lines/injectors... that seems unlikely though as I'm now half way through that tank of fuel and the problem is still getting worse.

coolant is a little bit low (half an inch off the line in the header tank) but that's where I didn't top it up properly after changing the water pump/cambelt tensioner etc...

spanner light is coming on first thing but does not stay illuminated so don't think it's in limp mode - probably just knackered old glow plugs causing that.

I have modified the airbox - taken the bit of plastic off the bottom and sawwed back the pipe out the top and remove the rain guard from off the front of the intake. I did not however drill a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox... This may sound stupid/obscure but what are the chances that heavy rain/big puddles followed by 5 degrees of frost have soaked and frozen solid my air filter?

I know my car is overdue for a lot of TLC but I don't think any of the things I have neglected have caused this problem....

any ideas help would be most appreciated. I'm going to do some work on it on saturday, check air filter, look at swirl flaps, have a proper look underneath see if the exhaust has been damaged...

Cheers guys,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

try a service! seems like it needs tlc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

had oil/filter change about 7k miles ago (used the longlife stuff) and topped up oil last night... other than that don't really know what servicing it needs. on 107k now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

try a fuel filter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

i would start with your egr for sure, give it a good clean along with the boost sensor, don't forget to clean the hole where the egr fits to the manifold, check your swirl bar is on, change the diesel filter then check the air filter.

FOREST HALL NEWCASTLE ,,,,,OR DECKHAM ,, ON SUNDAYS .. DINNER TIME MAMMY,S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i am getting this first thing it will start no bother go anywhere turn it off and then on it wont rev over 1500 then all of a sudden it will rev normaly but mine is mainly when me fuel range is say on 15 mile but yesterday it wouldnt pick up so left it and phoned rac it still wouldnt rev for him then it just righted itself he didnt do anything to it as he said its ok haha been out today in it and it is driving normal now but also mine is due a service and i think i may have a split turbo pipe these cars are scrappers haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I bet the clunk was your brakes unsticking.

As for the power, clean the EGR and boost sensor, then also check your swirl bar. I wouldn't mind betting that it has failed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi guys, thanks for your responses.

my dad recons there's water in the fuel filter that has frozen solid...

I got stranded in wickham last night. the car was quite ok to cope with the ice and snow it was all the other morons blocking up the roads that caused the problem... ended up in a pub and a local put me up on the sofa... anyway long story short when I turned it on this morning it ticked over hapily but didnt respond to the throttle AT ALL for a good 3 or 4 minutes, then it started to pull a little bit. limped home at about 20mph.

I've got out of going to work, 'snow day' so I'm going to take a look at the swirly whatsits in a bit, it's that metal bar that slides right to left across all 4 cylinders isn't it? it can be repaired with a pair of tap washers can't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok, air filter is ok and cant see any problem with fuel filter... couldnt get the fuel filter case open as it was really really tight but drained it and no water came out, just a little tiny bit of dirt in the last drops of diesel.

now the thing that I think is the swirl flap is operating fine, its a metal bar that runs along on the top between the 2 cam shafts and is connected to 4 little pivots which move from side to side when the revs go up and down, when i started up the car after refitting the fuel filter it seemed to run mostly fine for about 2 minutes, where we monitored the flaps. I did notice that it seemed to stick to the right hand side momentarily when my brother revved it once but thats all. after a couple of minutes it wouldnt rev at all and was missing/smoking really badly.

im thinking now 3rd injector might be playing up...

theres a spanner light on the dash when the ignition is on but it goes off as soon as i start the engine up. is there any means of reading fault codes without an expensive computer gadget/main dealer?

I'm going to look up how to do egr valve now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

deffo the egr can almost say its valve operation is sticking!!, just had this last night AGAIN, and i cleaned mine about six weeks ago, strip it and part it from the solenoid and make sure the plunger moves very freely!!!, i clean mine well but the plunger sticks or becomes slow to move after a few weeks, tried everything but as soon as its been fitted for a few weeks it dries out with the heat and back to square 1 again, it needs something of good carbon remover qualities and then a lubricant that will with stand exhaust/engine heat!!. ( thinking of taking it to a diff/gearbox repairers to put it in a caustic cleaning machine to remove ALL carbon from every nitty gritty part.).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information