Thread: N/S Rear Caliper Binding

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default N/S Rear Caliper Binding

It's hot after a short run, even in this weather and smells of burning. Also, noticed the car feeling sluggish on acceleration even before checking.

So, I'm gonna buy and fit myself a new caliper, anyone know roughly who's best to buy from and rough cost? Europarts list this for my number plate and engine

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...bf2b35015&BCAL

If I get this will I need the rewind tool?? And would Halfords sell that tool?

Cheers
    Si

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Interestingly my rear offsite is binding slightly but unsure as to whether its the handbrake or the calliper.

What makes you so sure that it the calliper Si ?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

replacing the caliper is a little drastic, remove the caliper remove the pads and remove the dust cover from around the piston (this is probably damaged and will require replacment) get an assistant to GENTLY press brake to bring the piston out chances are there is gunk and corrosion on it that will clean off with a metal polish untill you have a nice smooth piston.
    rewind the piston i use a pair of needle nose pliers in the holes on the piston face turn the piston clockwise as you apply pressure to push the piston back in.
    if pads ok reuse if not replace there buttons anyhow and make sure to check fluid levels

sorry if you already knew this but from experience people are usually terrified at caliper maintainance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

When I wanted to service my 302's about 18 months ago, VX had the seals kits on backorder of 3-4 weeks. There were no re-con calipers in the UK, also on back order. Solution - upgrade to 314's.

Anyway, IIRC, the linky price is cheaper than the re-con/exchange ones from VX. Or, if you do strip the caliper down, just make sure you've got new seals before you start or at least check the current availability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if its just a edges of the piston you can usually get away with leaving the piston in place just bringing it out a little.
    usually its just the dust seal that perishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by cerbrious View Post
    replacing the caliper is a little drastic, remove the caliper remove the pads and remove the dust cover from around the piston (this is probably damaged and will require replacment) get an assistant to GENTLY press brake to bring the piston out chances are there is gunk and corrosion on it that will clean off with a metal polish untill you have a nice smooth piston.
    rewind the piston i use a pair of needle nose pliers in the holes on the piston face turn the piston clockwise as you apply pressure to push the piston back in.
    if pads ok reuse if not replace there buttons anyhow and make sure to check fluid levels

sorry if you already knew this but from experience people are usually terrified at caliper maintainance.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look tomorrow in-between decorating the kitchen and shopping for cabinets etc etc

I took the piston out of my old Frontera and clened it up once, solved the problem for about 4 months then replaced it with a second hand unit. I guess even if this has the same effect it'll delay it til the warmer weather so will give it a go!!!

I'll check the handbrake cable for any obvious damaged causing it to stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

never had this only be a tempory fix in the past if you clean it all up properly your laughing might be worth changing the brake fluid soon incase its moisture content is too high

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by cerbrious View Post

MORNING!!

It's been a couple of weeks, thought I sorted it but now found out I haven't. Gave it a look over to find the pads are down to the last mm, so hoping this was why it was binding I emery-clothed the piston as it was right the way out already, couldn't get the right sized tool and couldn't wind it back with pliers so handed it over to a tyre and brake place to change.

Now, it's still heating up, only getting warm rather than hot like before, but getting that "burning brake" smell too.

My question is, if I buy a seal kit, do I need to remove the piston completely to fit, and is it a difficult task?? The dust seal is perished badly also (I do have a pic but it's on another phone).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia elite tourer vxline biturbo

Trim : Elite vxline

Engine : 2.0 biturbo

Year : 2013

Mileage : 80000

have you got solid discs on the rear as will be taking mine off as going to go vented and 292mm callipers . my old callipers done little millage and no problems if you get stuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by simon1 View Post
    have you got solid discs on the rear as will be taking mine off as going to go vented and 292mm callipers . my old callipers done little millage and no problems if you get stuck
    Hmmm - I think vented but can't remember, I'll have a look at lunch, many thanks for the offer!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information