Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Need Help with new ICE install

Hello all!

I have a Vauxhall Vectra 2003 model, pre-facelift, using a CRD 2005 head unit.

I want to replace the head unit and speakers with an aftermarket set.

The Speaker I have chosen are the Infinity Perfect 6.1 components from here: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/2974.html

To be paired up with this amplifier: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/8038.html

(100watt RMS Speakers, paired with a 100watt RMS Amp. - I don't plan on buying a sub as I only listen to rock and heavy metal music and most of that doesn't even have a sub track.. good performing 6.5" mid-subs will be more than adequate!)

Now I have 3 questions which are stopping me from buying the whole system right now...

1) What head unit do I get!? I can't decide between 2 different head units:

• The King Cobra has sat nav, windows CE, 4 pre-outs (FL,FR,RL,RR), Digital TV, inputs for a rear view camera, etc, etc etc! - but it's unbranded, and I haven't been able to find any reviews for it from forum members or on google.

• The JVC unit is more expensive and has less features than the King Cobra, but it does have a removable face plate (which the king cobra doesn't!) which means it should be less likely to have my car broken into.. - it doesn't have sat nav though, nor does it have an accessable windows CE. and did i mention it was more expensive?

2) What -exactly- do I need to order to get the button steering controls to work in my car with the new head unit?

• There are so many different connects2 cables that I don't know what one(s) I need to get! - help me! i'm so confused!! - Say I've decided on getting the King Cobra head unit, it's unbranded.. what connects2 cable do I need to purchase to get it to work in my vectra?

3) What other (connects2?) bits do I need to purchase?

• I guess I need to buy a connects2 cage and Fascia? - which is the correct connects2 cage/fascia to buy for the king cobra? and is it the correct colour to match my interior? (gun metal)

• Also the front and rear speakers, will I need to purchase the connects2 Front and Rear door speaker adaptor pod rings? (I'm guessing yes.)

Please help me and answer my questions guys! I'm itching to replace my crappy CDR 2005 and get something decent into my car but I don't want to pay out £800 for a whole new system and then find out I bought the wrong parts!

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Drazek; 28th December 2009 at 12:31.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I notice there's been 41 views of my thread but no replies

Is my question really that tough? :O

let's have a little bump, - anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well it is a tough question, because you are asking someone to put their neck out and say what they think you should do. It is always hard to choose something for someone else....

I will just give you some general pointers.

First you may not be happy with the 6.5 components without the sub. Most are designed to work with a sub, figureing if you are upgrading the speakers, you will probably have a sub as well. Infinities in particular, I find are very bass light, and you think that your music may lack a sub line, but a sub will really add punch and make the system seem big. In particular the bass drum is really good on a sub.

Secondly I personally would tend to by an amp with a higher output rating than the speakers are rated to take. I.e if your speakers are max 60w rms I would probably buy a 100w rms amp. You are more likely to blow a speaker with a smaller amp that is driven into clipping than with a large one. A larger amp will control the speaker better and in practice will make the speaker less likely to blow. You will very rarely get full power out of the amp anyway.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As for head units I would stick to named brands such as Sony, JVC etc. It will be easier to link your steeing wheel controls to and are normally far better for sound quality.

My best systems have used Sony headunits, JBL or Mutant amps, and JBL speakers. JBL also own infinity.

You will need adapter rings front and rear. I would recomend the autoleads ones, but you can make your own out of a thick peice of wood. This is better than the flimsy plastic ones but takes time and effort. You will also need to find a way to mount the tweeters behind the grills. No more nails works well here.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hello,

Thanks for the replys

I'm comparing specs between the JBL's and the Infinity speakers,..

Yes the JBL's have better specs, 150 watt RMS @4 ohm. - however they're also twice the price of the inifinity 100watt RMS / 4 ohm. speakers.. so i kind of expect them to be better!

I think £300 for a pair is a little -too- pricey for me...

While i'm busy checking specs i guess i'll take a look at all the different manufacturers and find out which ones have the highest rms and best frequency response for the £100 - £200 price range. (will update with my findings

you reckon it's best to get a higher wattage amp than the speakers?, I'm a little new to the whole ICE thing so i'll take your word for it, it kinda makes sense. I originally thought that if my AMP was too high for the speakers it would drive the speakers too hard and make them blow ;s (guess i was wrong?)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You will rarely drive your amp to its limit anyway, but speakers are distroyed by distortion normally, not by over powering them. You are more likely to get distortion with a lower powered amp and it is much more likely you would blow them this way, than with to much power.

Obviously if you went to extremes you would blow speakers with a too big amp but a little either way won't matter. My speakers are only 80w max and I drive them with 160w (rms) each.

I look at the frequency responce not the power rating. Also when looking at frequency responce make sure they meassure it at either plus or minus 3 or 6 decibels. Some cheaper manufacters measure it at plus or minus 8 or 12, which is pretty meaningless really!!

Also you seem to be doing so but always look at RMS figures. Other figures are often pretty meaningless. Using PMOP (peak music output power) you can rate a 1w (rms) amp at 100w! It needs to be rms (route mean square).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think theres just to many words thats why no one has replied cause no ones read it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Okay Here's a comparison table of different vendor's speakers around the £150 price range:

Make and Model ][ RMS ][ Impedance ][ Frequency ][ Sensitivity
    Infinity: Perfect 6.1 ][ 100w ][ 4-Ohms ][ 75Hz - 23KHz ][ 90dB
    JBL: P6560c ][ 90w ][ 2-Ohms ][ 45Hz-23KHz ][ 94dB
    Alpine: SPR-17S ][110w ][ 4-Ohms ][ 65Hz-27KHz ][ 87dB
    Audiobahn: ABC600T ][ 140w ][ 4-Ohms ][ 30Hz-25KHz ][ 91dB
    DLS: X-SB62 ][ 100w ][ 4-Ohms ][ 30Hz-25KHz ][ 91dB
    Vibe: SPACE 6 ][ 120w ][ 4-Ohms ][ 55Hz-25KHz ][ 90dB
    Hertz: ESK165L.3 ][ 100w ][ 4-Ohms ][ 50Hz-23KHz ][ 91dB
    Rainbow: Dream Line SAX265.20 ][ 80w ][ 4-Ohms ][ 50Hz-21KHz ][ 90dB

The Audiobahn and DLS speakers have the best frequency response,.. does anybody have any experience with these two sets of speakers? - the reviews that i've managed to find have all been positive for the audiobahn speakers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i have recently puchased vibe component speakers,
    so out of that lot i would go for either vibe or hertz have you looked at focal components

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Think I might be getting the DLS speakers, cheaper and a higher frequency response than the Infinities

Mucklestone: What do you think of this amp?
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro..._id/11631.html

It's 180watt RMS @ 4 Ohms on all 4 channels, sounds good to me?

as for the Head unit, i've decided to get the more expensive Alpine IXA-W407BT: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro..._id/12255.html

... this installation is going to be expensive! >.<

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information