Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Repairing written off cars ??

Hi all, ive seen a few threads on here and I know a certian member posted
    pics up of a few write offs he had repaired himself.

Why ?

I love working with cars abd messing and although Im no pro mechanic, ive done some heavy jobs, engines in/out and HG/chain changes etc and really enjoy it ! Having the C now, means no jobs whereas my old B's always needed stuff messing with ! lol

Question ?

What is involved, what is there to look out for ? Does the V5 say its previously been written off or something ?

Thank !!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the V5 states what category write off it was, but only if its been claimed on insurance. If not they don't know.. however I presume it would be fraud and you would be liable to manslaughter if someone died in an accident and they proved you had lied.

An accident repaired car will never be as structurally sound as a standard car, so they tend to sell for cheaper. I think unless your getting a new smashed up car for next to nothing, making money is going to be pretty hard, baring in mind after telling the DVLA its an ex write off it will bring the price down.

I was going to repair my Neon after smashing it up on the autobahn, but it had dinks in the roof meaning that the stucture had probably twisted.. wouldnt want to be driving that around again lol.

But yeah thats what I kind of picked up on the way. But if you pick up a car thats had a mild front crash (from the owner not a breaker as it would cost more) then why not? Good project

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

http://www.checkthatcar.com/car_writeoff_categories.asp

Cat D won't have the V5C ammended to show that is has been a total insurance write off and no VIC test (inspection) is required.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    the V5 states what category write off it was, but only if its been claimed on insurance. If not they don't know.. however I presume it would be fraud and you would be liable to manslaughter if someone died in an accident and they proved you had lied.

An accident repaired car will never be as structurally sound as a standard car, so they tend to sell for cheaper. I think unless your getting a new smashed up car for next to nothing, making money is going to be pretty hard, baring in mind after telling the DVLA its an ex write off it will bring the price down.

I was going to repair my Neon after smashing it up on the autobahn, but it had dinks in the roof meaning that the stucture had probably twisted.. wouldnt want to be driving that around again lol.

But yeah thats what I kind of picked up on the way. But if you pick up a car thats had a mild front crash (from the owner not a breaker as it would cost more) then why not? Good project
    Only a cat C is shown on the log book. And why is a repaired car never structuraly the same again once repaired? Cars like the vec C front end are all bolt on parts.... and even if its a welded section, if done properly its no issue at all.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sri andy View Post
    Only a cat C is shown on the log book. And why is a repaired car never structuraly the same again once repaired? Cars like the vec C front end are all bolt on parts.... and even if its a welded section, if done properly its no issue at all.
    Okay I will rephrase it... a car crashed once and repaired on a budget will never perform as good in an accident as an uncrashed one. The crumple zones have already been weakened, and even slightly this can cause trouble if not repaired perfectly.
    It is possible to completely repair a vehicle to near perfect standard, however.. it would cost far too much to repair PROPERLY based on the value of the car.. and the kit needed to repair and check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEdlUT17PI

Theres an example of a car repaired on a budget to flog.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Okay I will rephrase it... a car crashed once and repaired on a budget will never perform as good in an accident as an uncrashed one. The crumple zones have already been weakened, and even slightly this can cause trouble if not repaired perfectly.
    It is possible to completely repair a vehicle to near perfect standard, however.. it would cost far too much to repair PROPERLY based on the value of the car.. and the kit needed to repair and check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEdlUT17PI

Theres an example of a car repaired on a budget to flog.
    I dont doubt on the lower end of the scale there are people out there doing half baked repair jobs on chassis legs and crumple zones etc and this is the case in your uploaded clip.

Insurance companies spend millions making sure that their approved accident repair centres are doing repairs to manufacturers spec or better and cant afford to do any less at the risk of law suits etc.

You wouldnt beleive the amount of methods/paperwork etc etc you have to go through these days before you can even start to repair a car.I have fix hundreds of cars that were much more badly damaged than a lot of cat C cars that are available to buy right now. It all depends on lots of factors, mainly parts and labour costs vs vehicle value. I recently put two complete chassis legs right to the bulkhead in a new mercedes sprinter, following manufacturers approved methods. I would have no issue putting it through any crash test (although the owner may disagree)!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol thanks for your answers everyone. Think its best I keep an eye out for a CAT D then ?? I only want to do it out of interest, If I break even then all is well !!

Im an concerned about things like the wings as I cannot weld!! Do most cars have welded wings or are they all bolted on ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Most front wings are bolted on nowadays (some are even plastic)

There may be welding on front panels though assuming you fancy a frontal impact car

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

An accident repaired car will never be as structurally sound as a standard car, so they tend to sell for cheaper.
    I don't know if it's still true but it used to be economic to re-shell cars that had been written - using a brand new shell from the factory and providing the labour yourself to remove complete assemblies from the write-off and refit them in the new shell.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nothing wrong at all with cat c cars either thats what mine was, heavy front end with airbags deployed. it was a joy to repair and drives like any other vectra does and i drive hundreds working in a dealership. I say as long as its done correctly and is worth doing then they are fine.

Thread Information