Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry A90 last night

Possibly the worst road conditions I've seen so far.

Near Arbroath there is a section where the road surface changes from tarmac to concrete and it was basically an ice rink. Thanks to an idiot in a Saxo (you always get one hero trying to get there faster than everyone else) the Focus infront of me hit is breaks, spun out and hit the crash barrier. Needless to say the Saxo carried on as if it never happened.

I stopped to check the guy in the focus was ok and also so my car would offer some sort of protection (no hard shoulder). Problem was, with the road being so ice, cars where coming round the long curve seeing the car with its hazards on, braking and sliding all over the place. A micra ran into the back of a van.

I ran up the road as far as the crash barrier would allow with a torch and started waving it at traffic and signalling them to slow down. Even then cars were sliding when they touch their brakes. most were ok but there was the occasion idiot who didn't slow down. One guy ended up having to hit the concrete central barrier to avoid hitting a car, then another van came down, braked, spun and ended up grinding his nose down the crash barrier sideways. Would have been a cool move on a snowboard but not in a van.

Also a poor girl who was on her way to Edinbugh airport, applied her brakes, slid, spun and hit the barrier about 10ft in front of me. I ran up a bit to see if she was ok which she was. I asked if she was ok and she responded with "is the front of my car badly damaged?". There's no easy way to tell someone their bumper is hanging off, both headlights are smashed, her bonnet is bent and goodness knows what inside the engine compartment.

The first guy in the Focus called the police once he got out his car. They showed up after all these crashed. It was a relief to have a set of bluelights offering us some protection.

After speaking with the traffic cops and giving them my details, I gingerly started on down the road to get home. There were at least 2 other cars on the opposite carraige way which had spun and were down an embankment, you could just see their headlights pointing up the hill to the carraigeway. Thankfully the police were already assisting them.

Whoever is in charge of road gritting in Angus, shouldn't be in the job anymore. That section of road was nothing short of an ice rink. When I was running back down towards my car to talk to the police, I could barely stay upright because it was so slippy. Even the police man comments on how shocking the road conditions were.

When I eventually made it to Dundee, the police were actually stopping cars as they left Dundee to inform them of the conditions ahead. Very nice to see some common sense policing!

What a nice, I eventually made it come at 2330! So guys, please take care out there, the road conditions can change in a flash just because the surface has changed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

At least you made it home ok

Too many folk just stamp on the brakes & think the abs will sort them out in the snow & icey conditions... fact is, it won't & you habe to feather the brakes & drive to the conditions

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Thats the A92 bud, can't agree more with you about the state of the roads up here though.

The roads are covered by Bear scotland and the haven't been up to the job since the got it. The towns are just as bad and they are covered by the local authority.

I was on a major forfar bus route last night as I though the conditions would be ok, but no just as bad as every other road.

Another big problem are of course the drivers, DRIVE AT A SPEED RELEVANT TO THE CONDITIONS!

Admin & Merchandise Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

glad you got back in one piece,brave man though as it could of turned out differently but glad it never.Well done to you though maybe saved a few people from a lot of heart ache this christmas many would of drove on like it wasn't their problem

Kudos you you

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was definitely the A90. Probably closer to Forfar than Arbroath, I just remember seeing a sign pointing to Arbroath.

But yeah, you're bang on, drivie at a speed appropriate to the conditions. The Saxo pulled out into the fast lane which is always worse because it's driven in less. It was one of those moment, I could see it coming in slow motion as soon as he pulled out. I just knew he was going to fast and was going to **** himself when he got into the fast lane and found out how slidey it was.

Just wish I had got his registration plate but I was too busy watching the Focus spinning and trying to bring my car to a safe stop.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    glad you got back in one piece,brave man though as it could of turned out differently but glad it never.Well done to you though maybe saved a few people from a lot of heart ache this christmas many would of drove on like it wasn't their problem

Kudos you you
    Thanks man, I always stop when I see someone crash in front of me. And sadly, everytime I have done, I was the only one who did. I just think, if it was me, or even worse my wife, I'd like to think someone would stop to help.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Knox View Post
    Near Arbroath there is a section where the road surface changes from tarmac to concrete and it was basically an ice rink

Whoever is in charge of road gritting in Angus, shouldn't be in the job anymore. That section of road was nothing short of an ice rink. When I was running back down towards my car to talk to the police, I could barely stay upright because it was so slippy. Even the police man comments on how shocking the road conditions were
    The A90 doesn't go near Arborath, so I assume you mean the section of road at Brechin
    This is maintained by BEAR Scotland
    Gritting commences within 1 hour of being told to do so by Transport Scotland (NESTRANS)

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...orts/j8354.pdf

BEAR Scotland made a similar mistake several years ago by failing to grit the A9 at Dunblane, however the temperature sensors were at either end of an ice shallow

This section of the A90 is well known for issues during severe weather, from flooding during rain, lack of grip in snow and ice
    There are similar such sections on the M6 and a section of the M74 was recently repalced with standard tarmac, due to these issues (completely inappropriate in Scotland)
    Last edited by m8internet; 18th December 2009 at 19:44.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    The A90 doesn't go near Arborath, so I assume you mean the section of road at Brechin
    This is maintained by BEAR Scotland
    Gritting commences within 1 hour of being told to do so by Transport Scotland (NESTRANS)

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...orts/j8354.pdf
    Thats the he's talking about bud, now that you mention it. What time was that at Big Knox as we had folk late to work last night coming from brechin

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

shocking. glad everyone was ok.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ummmm, it was around 2130-2200. Temprature on the Veccy's thermometer was reading -5.5c

it was definitely the A90. I know (now) it doesn't go near to Arbroath as such but I was meaning that general area of the A90 because I saw a sign for an exit towards Arbroath. So please ignore Abroath and take it as being in the Forfar area instead. sorry for the confusion.

In my opinion that section of road didn't look salted at all. The road was iced up and there was no salt that I could see sitting ontop of the ice. So either it wasn't done or it was done and was completely ineffective and the road iced anyway.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Knox View Post
    Whoever is in charge of road gritting in Angus, shouldn't be in the job anymore. That section of road was nothing short of an ice rink.

To be fair, the kind of salt we use in the UK starts losing effectiveness once the temperature dips more than a few degrees below zero, and if it's covered by a sudden and heavy layer of ice/snow then again it's also less effective. Add a road surface change from tarmac to concrete and you're always going to be on to a loser.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information