User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo s40 or an Opel vectra C easytronic transmission?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Volvo s40 or an Opel vectra C easytronic transmission?

Hello guys, i`m a new member from Egypt and thats my first post & for sure it wont be the last

I`d like some advice considering having a new car after owning an automatic volvo 240 gl 1985 for almost 24 yrs now , and driving it for 12 yrs ......

I have two cars in mind to choose from .... but first of all let me give you a brief background about the imaginary cars customs in egypt where you pay for cars with engines till 1.6L about 162% of its original price, whereas cars with engines above 1.6L you pay about 343% of its original price, and thats all after adding customs , sales tax & other fees ..... so thats why most of us here at Egypt go for cars with engines not more than 1.6L .......

now the available vectra C 2008 1.6L (one of the few last cars not sold yet )has an engine with 105hp/ 6000 rpm & 150Nm/ 3600 rpm torque with a curb weight of 1395kg , an easytronic transmission , xenon front lights , electrical sunroof , graphical info display ( monochrome not cloured ) and many other features , plus acceptable interior space compared to my volvo 240 , its price here at egypt is about 31,685 $ , whereas the volvo s40 1.6L has an engine of 101hp/6000rpm & 153Nm/4000rpm torque with curb weight of 1249kg & available only in manual transmission ( automatic transmission starts from 2.0L engines) and much less interior space & features but still hasthe volvo brandname, the one which i hold for much admire & respect through out many years , its price is about 37,545 $

so , regarding the fact that i drove auto cars for 12 years , which car shall i go for ? the vectra with more features & interior space or the less featured s40 holding the brand name i fell in love for many years?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this is just my opinion and someone else could strongly disagree but,
    dont buy the car with easytronic transmition,i have owned autos for the past 12 years of my driving life and then tried the easytronic in an astra 1.6 and it was terible,then tried the same on a citroen c4 which was better but not by much,i think the engines are just too small(not enough power) for that transmition,the fuel economy is not very good either for it being a smaller engine.i am now driving a 2.2 auto amd getting better mpg than with the 1.6 easytronic.hth

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1.6 vectra c? thats going to be very under powered, is this something they made for the egyption market only? if your limited to 1.6 go for a smaller car i would think, i also hate easytronic its terrible whichever car, let us know what you choose

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The current Volvo S40 is a Ford Focus underneath - to me a Vectra-C is a much, much, better car than a Ford Focus but as noted above a 1.6/105bhp engine in a 1395kg kerbweight car is somewhat underpowered and the Easytronic has a poor reputation for reliability, unlike the conventional autoboxes fitted to other Opel/Vauxhalls and many other brands around the world.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab

Trim : 9-3 Vert

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2000

Personally I dont think comparing an s40 and a Vectra c is a fair comparison. If you want something similar to a s40 get an Astra, otherwise you need to be comparing the vectra with the s60.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectra3.2dave View Post
    1.6 vectra c? thats going to be very under powered, is this something they made for the egyption market only? if your limited to 1.6 go for a smaller car i would think, i also hate easytronic its terrible whichever car, let us know what you choose
    Honestly I have no clue whether this engine was made purposely for the egyptian market or not , but after surfing the web i found that its rarely mentioned except for some sites which say that the 1.6L ecotec engine share the same specifications of the 2.0 DTI engine apart from fuel type & consumption , that means same horse power , same acceleration and same everything ........ so does anyone here has a vectra c with 2.0 dti engine ? and if there is , how much are you satisfied with its performance & reliability ? and how can i increase my hp without applying major changes to the engine ? ( as air filters , spark plugs etc .....)

http://www.car-catalog.com/large_cars/opel_vectra.htm

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI NAV XP

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 72K

1.6 petrol Vectra 'C' was available throughout Continental Europe and in Ireland as an Opel. I assume it was also available elsewhere but not offered as a Vauxhall in the UK.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yehia; First of all welcome to the site
    You still have your Volvo? Well, a 240 GL with auto is not excactly a powertrain (...), so even the smallest Opel engine would do. I have not driven the 1.6 myself, but I have heard its "OK", as long as you are not driving alot in the mountains, highways, and/or often drive with heavy load. Dont you worry about the enginesize, care about HP/Nm to wheight ratio, as you already pointed out isnt a big difference from your Volvo. The gearbox is another story. Dont know excactly what goes wrong, but some owners have changed the gearbox couple of times in only 100.000KMs (on warranty, but anyway), and some have no problems at all, so there must be a reason Ill guess. As all modern autogear its sensitive for oil quality and service, and this box need a special additive in the oil.
    For the change from your old Volvo into a new car (whatever brand or model), my 2 cents is:
    Nothing will beat the quality in your Volvo. You will get more expenses per KM. Your Volvo is extremely solid built, and its pretty simple built. A new car will have a zillion more components, especially electronics.
    Not all here would agree with me, but I would say the Vectra is a pretty average car when coming to faults. Its built up mainly by well-known technology from well-known producers, and is fairly DIY-friendly, at least if you only have 1 tumb on each hand .
    Do you service the car by yourself, or do you rely on Opel garage or a non-brand garage? Where I live, getting parts for the Vectra is "cheap" compared with many other brands, and if not I use ebay or some shops in UK.
    I have done all service on mine so far. Suspension/brakes, oils/fluids, electric/eletronics, and some bodywork like doorlocks, etc. So far it has been pretty straight forward, and no special tool needed. For me it looks like a car built to last for many years, better than some other brands. The S40 has nothing to do with the Volvo you love so much. Consider the S40 as a completely different brand. Also the size is not even close to your Volvo. The Vectra is one of the few mid-size cars who is comparable, to a reasonable price.
    The Vectra has a impressive community on the net (like this excellent forum!), so you will get help for most of your questions.
    Still, there should be other brands to consider, depending wether it is sold in your country. When we bought our Vectra, we looked for a car with good size, lights, ESP and only minor problems with rust (where I live they use alot of salt on the roads during winterseason, and this is No1 enemy for cars here). We looked at Mazda6, who seemed to be a nice car, until we heard it has huge problems with rust. Now, this should be fixed at models from 2006 and newer, but then the car became to expensive for us. But a Mazda without rust, we would consider. We also looked a Citroen C5, also a huge car, and no more fault than average on facelift models (2006?). The C5 has very little problems with rust, and a comfort that must be tried to belive And they have a very nice 1.6 diesel, if that is a option for you?
    For us, VAG (VW and Audi) was not an option, since they are more complicated to service, has some rust problems, and the VAG garage where we live is really bad and expensive.
    What about Subaru? Dont know if they have 1.6l, but the Subaru owners I know, wouldnt easily swap to another brand.

Whatever car you choose, tell us what and why
    Bent, my name is Bent
    Mods: I polished it in september...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by fikse View Post
    What about Subaru? Dont know if they have 1.6l, but the Subaru owners I know, wouldnt easily swap to another brand.
    A 4wd in Egypt may not be needed !!

There is a Subaru Impreza 1.5 (107PS) available in the UK http://www.subaru.co.uk/Subaru_co_uk...?menuid=M0M3M1.

I swapped my main car from Vauxhall to Subaru to get a decent 4wd - the reasons why Subaru owners won't go back is obvious once you get one - but this isn't a Subaru forum .......................

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

there was a 1.6 impreza estate couple of yrs back cos i looked at one on an 03 plate.....still 4wd tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information