User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.9 CDTi Yellow Spanner But No Fault Code!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question 1.9 CDTi Yellow Spanner But No Fault Code!

I have a Signum 1.9 CDTi 150 bhp auto with 62k on the clock. Had a recent service including oil and air filters, new EGR valve and boost sensor. Just occasionally the dreaded yellow spanner light comes on and there is a slight loss of power. Seems to happen when accelerating relatively hard up a hill about 70-80 mph. I pull to the side of the road, switch off the ignition and re-start the car and all is fine. The spanner light is cleared and engine operates at full power. It might drive for several hours before the same happens again. I thought a fault code would be stored but even if I put the OBDII reader on it as soon as I get home there are no codes stored. Any ideas out there? What does the fault sound like and has anyone had a similar problem? If the fault code is not stored does that mean that this occasional problem is not important? Should I just keep driving until the spanner comes on permanently? Any advice much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like a boost problem, when you drive it hard the engine goes into limp mode to protect the engine. If you have a code reader then I would recreate the fault but this time read the code before you turn the engine off.

Once you know the code it will be easier to track down the problem, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the turbo, car would be fine but as soon as I went over 3600rpm under load spanner light and limp mode until rebooted.

My error code was P0234

Frenchman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Many thanks Frenchman. I was thinking along those lines myself. I'll pack the code reader in the car and see what it says next time it happens. I'll post the final result here when I know what the problem was, but it does sound like a turbo to me. Cheers, Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

could be swirl valve problem, check that the bar is still attached to all 4 points. easy to check pull off engine cover and this bar is located on the inlet manifold on the top of the engine. loads of posts on here. my veccy has done 69k and have just had a new inlet manifold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Update

Vx Frome have heard my description of the fault and they reckon it is probably the turbo. Booked in for Friday this week. Will publish the result next week.
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Keep driving it but just be a bit careful. Its ok to drive unless the light starts to flash at you.

Your code reader may not be able to read it, depends on the area of the code. Tech 2 is your best bet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Andyg I've had exactly the same code problem today. The spanner light is on in front of me and the code reader says no DTC.
    04 cdti 8v manual vectra, no limp mode, no noticeable loss of power whilst light on and the last, resolved code I had, intermittent brake light relay fault, was fixed a fortnight ago and no spanner light until Saturday.

Look forward to hearing your findings on Friday with hope fully good, cheap, news!

Anyone had any issues with U480 code readers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BoroDave74 View Post
    Andyg I've had exactly the same code problem today. The spanner light is on in front of me and the code reader says no DTC.
    04 cdti 8v manual vectra, no limp mode, no noticeable loss of power whilst light on and the last, resolved code I had, intermittent brake light relay fault, was fixed a fortnight ago and no spanner light until Saturday.

Look forward to hearing your findings on Friday with hope fully good, cheap, news!

Anyone had any issues with U480 code readers?

that code reader will only read the MIL warning light, not the spanner.

you need to use a tech 2 or an op-com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ah-ha, that'll be the problem there then - many thanks mate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Update #2

Vx Frome say that the car needs a new inlet manifold because the swirl valves are worn and blowing from the top pivot mounts. They got a code on Tech 2 even though my OBDII reader gave none. The car is 5 months out of warranty but Vx will cover 60% of the cost because I had it dealer serviced. That leaves me with £375 to pay inc labour and VAT. (The full cost was around £900 - yikes!) They are also going to replace the turbo solenoid actuator which is noisy and almost certainly sticking. The cost of that is £125. Total = £500 but it could have been a lot worse! They gave me a full and clear explanation so I am hopeful it will solve the problems. I'll post a final update next week when I have the car back and running again.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information