Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Bad tank of fuel?

Hello all,

Got a bit of an issue with my '04 CDTi (120). Was low on fuel yesterday, so filled it up at Tesco (I know, I know - don't judge me - I like the Clubcard points!). Drove to work (40 miles) with no issue, returned home (another 40 miles) and seemed ok except I did notice a touch of lag on the acceleration, but it was very slight and I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Got home, did the 3 S's and left again for the missus' place. I pulled off and noticed there was quite a bit of lag. I got to quite a busy junction, went to pull out and it just lost loads of power and stalled. Started it up again ok, went to pull off again and it just stalled - not a violent stall, just a severe lack of power. Started it again, revved quite hard this time and managed to keep going but with very very jerky acceleration. This did smooth out, albeit with a lot less power than I'm used to so I decided it was best to return home.

A friend of the family is a mechanic, so he kindly came over and checked the hoses and plugged in the diagnostics kit - he couldn't find any problems at all, no error codes with the engine, turbo etc. Did a bit of a test drive and it didn't do the jerky thing, but it did seem less powerful. He suggested that it may be a tank of bad fuel - maybe even water from a condensation build up from an empty tank at the station.

I started up this morning and got to work ok, but given the frost I left the engine on for a few mins whilst scraping the windscreen before I set off. Again, I felt the lack of power but it was ok getting to work. Seems to be ok once up to speed in terms of response. Just went out for lunch now, started it up and drove off and it did the jerky thing again.

Seems quite a coincidence that this has started to happen after I filled up, but then there's also the fact that the weather has changed to very cold so I'm wondering if there's something else that could be going on that wouldn't be picked up by the diagnostics.

I'd rather not have to take it back into a garage to get the tank pumped, so I'm wondering if this sounds very symptomatic of a tank of bad fuel and if it is what's the best thing to do? Fuel conditioner, diluting it with high-octane? It's worth baring in mind that it's only been about 6 months since my last service during which the fuel filter was replaced.

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

could be that you rcar doesnt like the fuel- adding an "additive" may assist but best thing will be to pop back to Tesco's just in case they have had an issue and you are not alone
    IF there IS a fault with the fuel then tesco will cover the costs of drain and replacing associated parts and refuel as req
    if there is nothing untoward - then either drain the fuel /replace/dilute/add additive as soon as practicable and see if this improves the drive

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by deztroyer View Post
    could be that you rcar doesnt like the fuel- adding an "additive" may assist but best thing will be to pop back to Tesco's just in case they have had an issue and you are not alone
    IF there IS a fault with the fuel then tesco will cover the costs of drain and replacing associated parts and refuel as req
    if there is nothing untoward - then either drain the fuel /replace/dilute/add additive as soon as practicable and see if this improves the drive
    Nice one, thanks. I'll call them in a bit. Kinda expecting them to tell me noone else has had an issue, even if they have, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yep, as I expected - no reports of anyone else having the problem.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

... There maybe an issue...

I fille dup today in WISBECH at Tesco... The fuel was really slow to pump in... and i mean VERY slow...
    I mentioned this to the girl on the desk and they said that would be the filter blocked again... apparently for the past few weeks the Diesel Filters have been getting blocked up at a much faster rate than normal..

The Girl mentioned ot her colleague...

"Why don't we do what some of the other garages have done and just either remove the filter.. or punch holes in it so it dont get as blocked up"

....To say i was shocked was well..

I hope your gargae is not one of them mate!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Diet1985 View Post
    ... There maybe an issue...

I fille dup today in WISBECH at Tesco... The fuel was really slow to pump in... and i mean VERY slow...
    I mentioned this to the girl on the desk and they said that would be the filter blocked again... apparently for the past few weeks the Diesel Filters have been getting blocked up at a much faster rate than normal..

The Girl mentioned ot her colleague...

"Why don't we do what some of the other garages have done and just either remove the filter.. or punch holes in it so it dont get as blocked up"

....To say i was shocked was well..

I hope your gargae is not one of them mate!!
    Yeah me too. I'll use it today and tomorrow - that should leave about 1/3 - 1/2 a tank empty and I'll top it up at BP with Optimax, or whatever their premium diesel is. See If that helps it. That is, of course, unless it blows up on the A14!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Veccy C

Trim : SRI

Engine : CDTi

try it with a shot of millers.. worth a try...

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I added a dose of Millers...

Just done 350 Miles... (Half a Tank) and had no issues whatsoever

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Even if they have said no, I would hold back from using the car if possible, and try and get an impartial witness from Trading Standards or something to check the fuel quality in your tank.

Also keep any receipts or if you have paid by card that should be enough.

As someone said before could be water droplets that have gathered in the empty tanks, then that begs the next question is all the sludge being pumped into car tanks as the station one runs empty??

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

And stop using tesco fuel