User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: MOT issues

  1. #1
    Regular Member benwalters82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Redruth
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : SXI

    Engine : 2.0DTI

    Year : 2002

    Default MOT issues

    I could do with some advice as I'm a complete novice

    1) Will leaking rusty shocks on the front fail an MOT?
    2) Will 'poor' (stealers defintion) corroded brake discs fail an MOT?
    3) Will 'slight play in inner steering rack joints on both sides' fail an MOT?
    4) Will 'play in both rear suspension arms' fail an MOT?
    5) Will 'rusted metal brake pipes' fail an MOT?
    6) Will the knocking drop linkages fail an MOT?

    Also, which of the above should be picked up and fixed during a service?

    Thanks for your time,

    Regards

    Ben

  2. #2
    Regular Member r.bailey63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Yes all will fail an mot but all should have been picked up at a service

  3. #3
    Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder GARY3306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ashington, Northumberland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benwalters82 View Post
    I could do with some advice as I'm a complete novice

    1) Will leaking rusty shocks on the front fail an MOT?
    2) Will 'poor' (stealers defintion) corroded brake discs fail an MOT?
    3) Will 'slight play in inner steering rack joints on both sides' fail an MOT?
    4) Will 'play in both rear suspension arms' fail an MOT?
    5) Will 'rusted metal brake pipes' fail an MOT?
    6) Will the knocking drop linkages fail an MOT?

    Also, which of the above should be picked up and fixed during a service?

    Thanks for your time,

    Regards

    Ben
    1)The leak has to be literally running out, seapage or dampness no, although he may advise. Rusting, depends on the level of rust, if the tester deems them to be likely to fail immenently then he may fail it. If the leak is significant, the shocks may have negligable damping effect- a failure

    2)Excessively corroded will fail, slightly corroded will be advised on

    3)No, advisory

    4)Excessive play will fail, slight play is an advise

    5)Excessively corroded will fail, slightly corroded will be advised

    6)Yes

    Its impossible to give a definitive answer without seeing the car. The simple answer is, if you are doubtful, get the work done before the test
    [SIGPIC]VX<font color=Red>R</font> with added Courtenay <img src=https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png border=0 alt= title=Big Grin class=inlineimg />

  4. #4
    Regular Member paul wingnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    durham
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : vectra sri 150


    Engine : 1900 cdti 150

    Year : 2008

    Default

    some of items listed would be advisory .yeah should be noted on service but would be extra work and extra labour .

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tamworth
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Given that advisorys do need doing eventually, it would be best to get all the work done - but I'm not privy to your cash flow so that may not be practical right now.

  6. #6
    Regular Member benwalters82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Redruth
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : SXI

    Engine : 2.0DTI

    Year : 2002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GARY3306 View Post
    1)The leak has to be literally running out, seapage or dampness no, although he may advise. Rusting, depends on the level of rust, if the tester deems them to be likely to fail immenently then he may fail it. If the leak is significant, the shocks may have negligable damping effect- a failure

    2)Excessively corroded will fail, slightly corroded will be advised on

    3)No, advisory

    4)Excessive play will fail, slight play is an advise

    5)Excessively corroded will fail, slightly corroded will be advised

    6)Yes

    Its impossible to give a definitive answer without seeing the car. The simple answer is, if you are doubtful, get the work done before the test
    Thats the problem it had a test and service on 10 September on 88K Bought car on 10th October and went to stealers 3 weeks ago on 89.2K with all the above noticed.

  7. #7
    Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder GARY3306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ashington, Northumberland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    No doubt at all they should have been picked up and done during a service.
    [SIGPIC]VX<font color=Red>R</font> with added Courtenay <img src=https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png border=0 alt= title=Big Grin class=inlineimg />

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tamworth
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GARY3306 View Post
    No doubt at all they should have been picked up and done during a service.
    They should have been picked up during a service - but the owner should then have been contacted to authorise the extra work and parts.

    The garage industry is better these days at seeking authority for extra work but not perfect - the days when you put your car in for a £100 service but had to pay a bill of £600 to get the car back need consigning to the dark ages.

  9. #9
    Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder GARY3306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ashington, Northumberland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Yea I meant that
    [SIGPIC]VX<font color=Red>R</font> with added Courtenay <img src=https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png border=0 alt= title=Big Grin class=inlineimg />

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. EGR Issues
    By signum_1.9 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30th June 2012, 11:51
  2. GID issues
    By kensbey in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th May 2011, 17:46
  3. Issues!
    By Danwells72 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29th April 2011, 01:13
  4. Would I have any issues with...
    By n_hudson in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th August 2008, 19:07
  5. mp3 issues with cd 70
    By jeff_g in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th June 2008, 22:27

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •