Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
In recent years the likes of BMW,Audi, and Mercedes have been in a bit of a power war with their diesel engined cars. Which obviously means great news for them, but I feel that eventually, the consumer will pay the price. Particularly if you add tuning goodies into the equation.

I've heard lots of rumours about all of the above being boxed or tuned and then catastrophe!

Any engine when not tuned 'properly' will suffer problems. Far too many idiots with laptops about that claim to be 'ecu mappers' buying cheap and untested tuning files with no development behind them and offer their services from the back of a van like some glorified car boot sale. Same goes for 'tuning boxes' that are simply cheap circuitry with a digitally controlled variable resistor that alters fuel pressure to crazy levels.

Remaps are fine as long as they are done by someone that knows what they are doing and understand engines and engine management, the sad fact is that in todays remapping market most 'mappers' dont even understand the basic workings of an internal combustion engine, let alone what they are modifying and the effects they are having.

Any tuner worth their salt will have their own dyno for software development and testing, anything less is just mapping by guesswork, rather not on my car!