User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.8 cone filter/turbo gauge.. anyone fitted?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question 2.8 cone filter/turbo gauge.. anyone fitted?

Just been on elkparts which is a saab site but they stock some parts that I believe match the Vec/Sig 2.8 Turbo.

Just wondered has anyone splashed out the 150 quid for a cone sports filter? If so whats the difference on:
    a. Power
    b. Sound!

I need some more throat to the engine lol.

Also has anybody had a turbo boost gauge fitted. If so what kit and where is it fitted (A pillar etc) and how do you connect it all up etc?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Don't touch an open air cone filter with the 2.8 you will get major power loss, the 2.8 has a lot of heatsoak and the last thing it needs is an open air cone drawing in Warm air.

Your best to get either a K&n panle filter or an ITG panel filter for the 2.8, I have the ITG in mine.

I also have a boost gauge fitted, I will try and find the thread on VXR Online which has fitting instructions and post it up here.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Really? It has a negative effect? That would of been a waste of 150 quid! Is that experience from a 'custom made' one or one of the BSr ones with the heat shield etc? Surely you can have some sort of air feed to send cold air in from the front via a pipe to the cone area??

Thanks a lot for the info.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    Really? It has a negative effect? That would of been a waste of 150 quid! Is that experience from a 'custom made' one or one of the BSr ones with the heat shield etc? Surely you can have some sort of air feed to send cold air in from the front via a pipe to the cone area??

Thanks a lot for the info.

Any real tuning company will tell you that the worst type of Aif filter to put into a Turbo'd car is an open air one, yes you can have a cold air feed running straight onto it but the filter will also soak in all the engine heat aswell and Turbo cars produce a lot more heat than n/a ones especially High powered big capacity engines like the 2.8.

Unfortunately none of the big air filter companies have developed a proper closed air induction system for the 2.8 like the pipercross viper one but every Tuner I have spoken to (this includes Courts and Thorney) have said that the best you can get for the 2.8 is an aftermarket Panel filter, such as K&N or ITG.

To put it into perspective my car is tuned to 310bhp and 401lbs of torque and I use an ITG filter which works perfectly with my setup.

Oh and here is the How 2 on fitting a boost gauge, it's from clubvs and one of the best mods you can do especailly on modded cars.

http://www.clubvs.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1037

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Understood boss!!!

As for any others who WERE interested in cone filters, I had also email K&N before I posted on here asking why the car was taken off their 'to be tested list' and when a cone filter would be on the market and they verified everything said above replying:

"Hello
    Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately a power gain was not possible during kit development. If this happens we would not go ahead and launch the kit.
    Regards"

Panel filter it is then. Shame as I dont think they make as much noise

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    Understood boss!!!

As for any others who WERE interested in cone filters, I had also email K&N before I posted on here asking why the car was taken off their 'to be tested list' and when a cone filter would be on the market and they verified everything said above replying:

"Hello
    Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately a power gain was not possible during kit development. If this happens we would not go ahead and launch the kit.
    Regards"

Panel filter it is then. Shame as I dont think they make as much noise

It's defo annoying though as I had the pipercross viper sealed induction kit on my 3.2 GSI and loved and was hoping to fit one to the VXR but they told me similar to what K&N have told you and left it at that.

Stick a custom De-cat exhaust on your 2.8 m8 and you'll forget you even wanted an Air Filter, you can make a de-catted 2.8 pop and bang on command and scare the local chavs whenever you feel like it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Voxer is that just the cat before the centre silencer, ive heard you can lose torque by removing that cat....is that true or not? i was just going to get the centre section silencer on mine...is it worth getting both bits removed and having a straight through centre section.

i to have looked into cone filters with no joy, i still love the roar from my old vec 2.5v6..... something the vxr hasnt impressed me with is noise.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ha! Yeah I was looking into one of them. Theres a place up north that build them specific to your car for around 5-600. Think its scorpion exhausts or something? Was thinking of giving them a try.

Problem is we are saving for our wedding in August at the mo. Got around 3 grand saved so far. Just found out her dad might be paying for it all.. which means.. 3 spare grand.. so hopefully thats a remap and exhaust on the way.

Bought her a shed loads of stuff for Xmas so she should be want free after the big day.. apart from a baby.. thats costly looool!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andy79 View Post
    Voxer is that just the cat before the centre silencer, ive heard you can lose torque by removing that cat....is that true or not? i was just going to get the centre section silencer on mine...is it worth getting both bits removed and having a straight through centre section.

i to have looked into cone filters with no joy, i still love the roar from my old vec 2.5v6..... something the vxr hasnt impressed me with is noise.
    My car and quite a few others have both Middle box and Centre cat removed and have no torque difference at all, my last dyno gave 401lbs of torque and at this I was still slipping on the rollers.

If you remove both bits you will be a happy man, trust me, once removed the bangs you can get from the exhaust if you change up a gear just as the turbos about to come in are louder and deeper than the Astra with Remus's fitted.

On and boy does she sound growly on acceleration, I overtook a friend of mine in his Stage 2 Astra a couple of weeks ago as we were on our way to a meet(he was attempting to stop me but to no avail) and he called me and said Holy F**k that sounds nice on full throttle.

Trust me you'll love it.

Here's a link to a vid of how minds sounds after de-cat, it's not the best quality and is only a short one but it will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylYqWlEWShI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFsxB4c2G0I
    Last edited by Voxer; 28th November 2009 at 20:38.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Alternativly.......an enclosed cone filter will give you noise AND slight power increase I've got a CDA on my vec 1.9 cdti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information