Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Help.....!

Morniing everybody....
    I have attempted the swirl pot linkage fix for a quid (1.9 cdti 150)......the mod with the linkage went well, foolowing all the instructions....
    BUT now its reconnected to the swirl valves I have got a engine (block) warning light come on ?
    at first I had a spanner also, so I disconnected the linhage thinking one of the valves was seized. But all of them move easily enough, the actuator one 3rd from left is movable, and springs back cleanly into position ?
    howdo I get rid of that warning ?
    apart from the warning car is driving ok - not reduced / limp mode etc?
    any help appreciated

cheers....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

disconnect the battery for a hard reset (20 minutes) but make sure you have your radio code and know how to complete the window reset proceedure - if the light comes back on after you have completed this then there is an underlying problem that needs rectiying

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Cheers

thanks Deztroyer,
    have disconnected the battery 15 minutes ago ........great minds think alike.....will come back in about 15 mins to let you know whats happening....

ta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

kettles on - making a coffee - will be watching - good luck !!

Dez

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking Hooray !

Phew !.
    well i reconnected the bat' and started it up....and it was still there doh!
    switched off contemplating a tech 2 reset ......tried it again and low & behold it went out ?
    have you seen that before ?
    back to my origional dilema that pesky linkage.....how many fokes are running without? I can't see any real reason to go through the expense of replacing the manifold for something I cannot tell the difference with / without ? also the cars just sailed through its MOT, so emmisions ok etc ?

basically its a really **** design, I can see why vaux redesigned it....still **** design though........
    anyway enough ranting I am putting cover back on and going in for a nice cooked lunch...yummy.
    Thanks for the help....
    Last edited by Deztroyer; 22nd November 2009 at 13:05. Reason: swear filter bypass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good news - well done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago mate. Having a nosey under the bonnet one morning and noticed the linkage lying on it's side detatched from the valves. The valves themselves where covered in oil and 'gunk' (technical term that) and they didn't move very well at all. The car drove but I could tell that there was almost no power there what so ever. Eventually got round to forking out for the new modified inlet manifold and it's like a brand new car .

One thing I will advise to all is to buy the modified EGR valve gasket from Fiat. It's basically a sheet of metal with 4 small holes in it to restrict the flow and reduce the amount of crap that can pass through into the inlet manifold therefore giving the precious swirl valves a fighting chance. I've done it, it's been fitted for over a week and all is running fine

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think that the swirl flaps are there to help the mixture burn more effeciently on the 150 engined cars, and hence respectable, but not as good as fuel economy compared to the 120 versions which don't need swirl flaps.

Here's an explanation I got from a BMW site:

"Swirl flaps are designed to create swirl or tumble of the air to aid better combustion under light load where soot levels tend to be dominant because of the lack of air, they are also there to help with driveability in low load conditions, they are controlled by a vacuum or solenoid actuator and are closed during light-load operations such as when idling at traffic lights, changing gear and deceleration to maximise combustion efficiency, fuel economy and emissions performance. The flaps are fully open during higher load conditions to maximise volumetric efficiency and power output."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

They are mainly to cut down emissions on low rpms, hence when they fail and jam open, there is heavy smoke under hard acceleration upto about 2,000rpm.

BMW had prblems with their swirl flaps breaking off and destroying the engine - either they jammed the inlet valve open or werecked the piston and cylinder head.

Alot of reason for failing tumble flaps no matter what car you drive that has them is the car is not being driven hard enough, ie running off of the EGR and causing the manifold to fill with soot. I drive for about 5 miles on the motorway at 70mph in 4th gear and I have to say there is some noticable difference in the performance - it stays fairly constant and where it should be.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default great feedback !

Hi all, been reading all the info, many thanks for the technical gossip.
    talking of economy, |I took the car for a whirl, family an all this afternoon trundled about, did 20 miles and it returned aroung 50mpg!.....
    I changed the oil & filters a few weeks ago and did the air filter box mod. so at present I am really pleased with the economy side....
    Performance wise I am also happy, having previosly owned a 1.8VVti veccy, its miles better. My car previous to that was a Mondeo Zetec s 2.0 tdci 130 this had some guts but I ran out of patience when it had been giving the old blue smoke etc.....
    I think I will leave the inlet manifold a while longer.....before commiting to it.
    all in all I have had this (56 plate 1.9 CDti Veccy Sri Nav Estate) for a month and I love the handling (very comparable to mondeo i had) but has major amounts of space (useful for work / the odd camping trip etc)
    I managed to get the DMf clutch etc changed under warranty and thats made it dead quiet compared to what it was when I first picked the car up......i am hoping to replace the Cam belt & water pump in the forthcoming months. Will keep you posted on that progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information