Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Car Bio - The Astra

Towards the end of 2007, I was having a mad moment and wanted a bit of fun after 2 Vectra's and a Signum. As we had bought the Freelander 2 for Mrs Mav, we did'nt need the Signum for towing anymore.

So off to Marshall's I went for a bit of a look around. After a drive in a blue Astra Sporthatch, I thought what the hell.

So a brand new Astra Sporthatch 1.9 CDTi SRi XP was ordered in Glacier White.

I also specced the following :-

Full Leather with heated seats
    CDC40 Multichanger Stereo
    Bluetooth Phone Prep.

Towards the end of November 2007 the car arrived and here is how it looked the day of arrival and going through PDI :-

Cruise Control was added whilst the PDI was taking place.

The next day, I was back at Marshall's to collect the car and say goodbye to the Signum, which was pretty hard to be honest.

But a nice fresh car with 4 miles on the clock felt great!

As soon as it was home, the V was replaced with a black one as a tempory measure, mudflaps fitted and rear de-badged (Griffin stayed)

My VXR steering wheel was removed from the Signum and was added to the Astra as soon as I got home, I took a detour on the way home and had done just over 100 miles before getting home.

I had initially ordered VXR bumpers and wheels for the car, but Vauxhall had just announced the VXR Nurburgring edition so this screwed my initial plans.

So back to the drawing board. I had decided to get Christmas out of the way before any more modding, so I started to gather the parts needed for the next phase so here is what I ordered.

BSR PPC Re-Map
    Vauxhall Alluminium Boot Strip
    Alluminium Style Griffin
    Corsa VXR Indicator Surrounds
    Irmscher Interior Vent Surrounds
    VXR Gearknob
    White VXR V
    Irmscher Rear Light Clusters
    888 Pro-Race 1.2 Alloys in Silver

So towards the end of January all the above parts were in place.

The next part of the built was quite by accident. After seeing Lofty at CCS and having a catch up, Steve from CCS and I had another one of those expensive cups of coffee.

Although the car was only 3 months old and had spotless leather, I decided to do a re-trim of the seat centres. So a light shade of Oyster leather was chosen which was very light grey but almost looked white.

I also had the car for a week with only one seat which felt very BTCC!

With our trip to Irmscher in Germany not far away, and another visit to the Nurburgring, I had a set of Astra VXR springs and dampers fitted .

So off we went.

And on the way back, a few laps of the ring beckoned!

9m 51 seconds Bridge to Gantry! Very please and so much better than the previous year in the Signum. But of course the Astra is better suited for this type of driving.

German Autobahns = Fun = Top Speed limiter! DOH!!

After our trip I got the Irmscher bug, so I sold the 888 wheels, bought some 18" Evo stars and an Irmscher front grill.

Wasn't happy with the grill so managed to sell it for the exact money I bought it for. It was only on the car for 3 hours. You have to try these things I suppose!

I also decided to go VXR with it, so a new complete VXR front bumper was ordered, painted and fitted. I managed to get over £250 for the orignal so this made the VXR bumper not too expensive.

Things didn't change for a while, so I carried on racking up the miles and enjoying the car.

I started to really dislike the Irmscher wheels and had a new plan for the car. In Australia and Europe, the Astra is available with the XP2 bodykit, so I decided to do a full on XP2 Astra SRi.

Firstly, I changed the wheels and sourced a set of Original SRi XP Pentas, swapped tyres, then got Darren Burton to re-furb them in the orignal High Power Silver.

A complete clean up was then done as the miles were racking up.

The front XP2 grills were ordered and fitted to the VXR front bumper. Basically, these were standard cross hatch top grill, cross hatch XP2 lower grill and plain black XP2 fog surrounds.

To do it properly I needed to buy the XP2 lower skirt, but this had to wait as there was nothing wrong with the one on., although it wasn't right.

A VXR rear bumper was ordered along with the XP2 centre section, painted and fitted on a Saturday morning.

The XP2 rear bumper is a VXR item but without the centre exhaust bumper section in favour of the side exit.

Then.................................crunch! I did a 3 point turn in a country lane and caught the bottom skirt on a grass verge.

So this gave me the ideal opportunity to finish the job right, and an XP2 skirt was ordered.

Here's the two together so you can see the difference.

Back to Marshalls, and an attack of the steam cleaner and bumper prep, saw it all repaired and back together.

Whilst it was being put back together, I got hold of all the appropriate Insignia's new style griffins and changed the whole car.

So, along with the new full complete and only XP2 Astra in the Country and new badges, here is the final spec of the car.

A couple of weeks after these photo's were taken, the car was part exchanged for the current Signum.

I had enjoyed the Astra but the size was being a hassle and I needed dsomething bigger again.

Considering the list price of the car when new was just over £21K, with discount, GM points and other marketing promotions, I paid £13.5k for the car new.

Just over 12 months later and 31000 miles, I got £11900 in PX. This car was absolutly perfect in forms of reliability.

It was on the original tyres, brakes everything. So I think I did quite well in terms of depreciation etc. It now lives somewhere in Norfolk.

Again, thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed this Biography.
    Last edited by Maverick; 15th November 2009 at 23:45.

North West Regional Organiser paulvectrac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

that was ****** good readin mate well done
    Vectra vxr custome remaps egr deletes dpf and diagnostic work all remaps are custome bench tuning avalible all genuine equipment PM for info

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great write-up mate, didnt realise you had one of these. Dont think you can fault the sell-on price. I like what you did with it, looked its finest in its final style for me, looked great.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a