0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vectra 1.8 2003 Stuttering in slow moving traffic

Car has been stuttering in slow moving traffic normally either at 25-35mph or 2000-3000 rpm, mainly occurs when release or depress accelerator slightly.

Had to take car into dealers for the handbrake recall so I asked them to check it out, result came back that throttle housing would need to be replaced (a mere snip at £439) as cleaning it hadn't helped. So dutifully without much option at the time I booked it back in for next weekend.

The more I thought on this the more it gripped me that all they could say was replace Throttle Housing, no rhyme or reason and no error codes on tech 2, so after much trawling on this website and a basic grasp of engines I figured I would give it the good old fashioned 'look see'.

Main sites of attack would be the MAF, Throttle Housing and the EGR Valve.

MAF - Removed and inspected nothing visible but gave it a good clean with Iso Propyl Alcohol Spray, Refitted once clean.

EGR Valve - Located (right hand side of Engine, just below coil pack connector), removed - found to be very coked up - Cleaned as per How 2's - brass brush and cleaning solution then refitted.

Throttle Housing - Removed (carefully of the coolant return, stopped the flow with the finger off of a latex glove and an elastic band) Top half reasonably clean, underside junked up totally with a nice build up around the butterfly valve. Also checked the breather hole from the Valve housing cover and found that to be totally blocked - cleaned out with a Small diameter drill to prevent enlarging the hole (wouldn't have tried this without the forums to guide) After a good clean (no idea what the dealer did, imagine it was spray carp cleaner down the intake) refitted.

With everything back in place and tightened down and reconnected (have fallen foul of the missed plug before) I took the old girl out for a test drive. Everything seemed with no hint of the stutter/judder or hesitation, plus the throttle pick up has defiantly improved.

Done 200 miles now with no re-occurrence so looks like the stealer can forget about his throttle housing.

I hope this helps anyone out there who is having a similar problem, wouldn't have attempted it without the how 2's and advice from the forum, but once started it was really quite easy. Total time about 1:30 with a grand cost of £0 - going to treat her to an interim service now by way of reward.

cheers all

Badger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one mate..had cleaned mine a few months ago, so much better..amazing how a dealer can chage in the exceess of 400 quid whena throttle body is less than 200 trade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vive la 1.8!!