0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default VX Wheel Locking Key

Been to a local tyre place today to have a slow punture looked at on my Vec today, and, you guessed it, the damn stud was so tight the damn key broke!

Now I have a double problem, the tyre still has a slow punture, and I have no easy way to get the ****** wheel off.

Looks like I'll be calling into the stealers yet again on Monday!

The tyre fitter tried the wheelbrace first but the nut just wouldn't budge, that's how tight it is. The air drill sheared the locking key immediately.

Crap quaility springs to mind here, never had a problem with the BMW locking wheel nuts...

Any advice anyone?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once the job is done and you're looking at replacing with a new set of locking wheelnuts, be certain you get a set of the right type.... a set for steels will work with, but not be suitable for alloys and vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the first jobs when i got my Vectra was to copper slip the locking wheel nut's on each wheel !

Square box

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

windy gun should never have been used the key is poor quality but careful use of a nice long breaker bar would have removed the bolt the use of the windy gun is the cause of the failure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, called into the stealers today. £29.60 later I walked out with a new unlock socket! Don't they know how to charge eh?

Anyways, the above advice has been taken. I managed to crack the wheel stud fairly easily with a breaker bar, but boy was it tight! No wonder the windy gun sheared it.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Have just had similar problem today.
    Took car for wheel alignment yesterday as had just replaced front nearside wishbone so tracking was a little out.
    Went to Telford this morning, which is about 10 miles from me and gives me a chance to blow some cobwebs out of the old girl along a nice bit of dual carraigeway. I noticed the car still pulled a bit to the left but more worrying was when i braked the steering wheel almost jumped out of my hand!!
    So back home i thought id take the wheel off and check the disk run-out and i couldnt crack any of the nuts without the use of a 2 foot scaffold tube on my breaker bar, i didnt even attempt the locking nut.
    So off to TYRE KINGDOM to find out what the score was, from experience i thought the wheels stayed on when allignment took place but i know that those nuts were torqued to 110Nm and the locking nut to 35Nm only 2 weeks ago by my very self.
    Spoke to monkey behind the counter who swore blind that his oppo would not have taken the wheels off but hed crack the locking nut off for me and yes thats exactly what he did!!!
    Luckily i had the foresight to crack all the other locking nuts at home first, just in case this happened, and surprise, surprise they were just nipped tight as should be and as i had left them.
    So now im having to take the car to a local engineering firm who will crack the locking nut for me for the sum of £40, plus the £35 ive paid out today for new Mcgard locking nuts, plus the £30 to have the damn wheels alligned!!
    Oh and the best bit of it all is i also noticed this morning that the centre spoke of the steering wheel is now at the 4 o'clock position rather than the 6 o'clock position, so mentioned this to monkey today and amazingly he told me that his oppo must not have done the tracking right so when i get the wheel off just POP back in and he will do it for me properly!!!
    So £105 out of pocket and the wheel allignment still hasnt been done!!!
    BEAT THAT!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My locking wheel nuts are now well and truly OFF my car. I just don't trust the design now. As I mentioned before, what if you get a flat, it's banging it down with rain, you get out to change the wheel and the key snaps! Stranded!

I know we can't deal in "what if's" all the time, but what if?

I also know it's a risk getting the wheels nicked but you could always pop them back in if you go anywhere, such as on holiday/away for the day, it's only a 2 minute job to fit them anyway?

As a side note, I noticed that my locking nuts had rusted a little on the threads, and maybe this is the real problen here. Obviously over-tightening will then add even more aggro when trying to get them out.

When I get time I'll clean the threads up on mine, copperslip them and re-fit. Then I'll monitor how they go before going to the expense of new ones.

Cheers
    Last edited by MultiDropper; 20th November 2009 at 13:02.

Thread Information