Thread: Vec C Facelift Sidelight Socket Problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vec C Facelift Sidelight Socket Problem

When changing headlamp bulbs last weekend, I also put new sidelights (Philips BlueVision) in as the bulbs came free with the headlamp bulbs from Power Bulbs,

The wedge bulb sidelight socket one side was no problem at all, came out readily & easily and new bulb was in & sorted. However, the other side for some reason was tight, although it would rotate round in the unit, I could not get it to release. I must have then squeezed the socket retaining lugs just that bit too much & one broke off. The bulb was then changed OK but obviously the socket is now a bit loose in the lamp unit although so far hasn't fallen out, the remaining lug has just held it so far.

No problem I thought, just get a new sidelight socket from the dealer - after all it's only a little plastic wedge bulb fitting wired into the headlamp unit, not the main loom.

Not so easy, no, one can't just get a new wedge bulb socket, it's part of the whole lamp unit and that has to be bought at £300 something

No chance!

Anyone know where such sockets may be bought aftermarket, especially as there is such an aftermarket industry in uprating or changing bulb types. The thing broke so easily, clumsy I may have been but I can't possibly have been the first one to break one

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

If it were me, I'd either apply a small amount of silicone rubber to the fitting and let that hold it in the headlight assembly, or wrap a small amount of tape around it to pack the hole out a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    If it were me, I'd either apply a small amount of silicone rubber to the fitting and let that hold it in the headlight assembly, or wrap a small amount of tape around it to pack the hole out a bit more.
    Yes, that's one possibility. Another I thought was that if when I do a HID upgrade when the current bulbs fail is to do it the bumper/lamp unit removal way, then I have full access to try & superglue the broken lug back on.

I could do with getting hold of broken front cover lamp units from a front end bumped car, unless the whole units are really totalled, the small sidelamp fitting at the back of the main beam reflector should be unscathed.

Incidentally, while looking around, although it doesn't help me, I came across this supplier of light units at somewhat cheaper than the main Vx dealer. Also, lamps and many other things for other makes/models. They don't have the latest yet though, units for pre-facelift but not facelift. Should be useful for those doing upgrades/repairs etc.

Thread Information