Thread: whinning vectra!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default whinning vectra!

Hey guys thought id pop up a post about my engine making a whinning noise and see if anyone has experienced the same problem.

The car is a 150 cdti 67000 miles and if the car is revved with the clutch in or out there is a loud whinnig noise that increases in pitch with the engine revs.Whilst driving the car especialy on the over run coming down the gears the whinning sounds hellish.I did a search on here and found a few threads mentioning the aux drive belt tensioner so i got one and a new aux belt and fitted that tonight but typically the noise hasnt changed!

So the next thing i was gonna do was the timming belt with tensioner and water pump to see if that could be where the noise is coming from also the DMF is on its way out but this wouldnt cause a whinning noise would it?If anybody could shed any light on this it would be greatly apreciated as funds are tight at the moment and dont want to keep replacing parts that dont need doing yet.

Cheers Stuart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a similar whining noise on my old Veccy B and it was the water pump that needed replacing.

I wouldn't think it was your DMF mate, does the noise sound different if you press the clutch or release it? If not then most likely not coming from DMF

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No the noise dosent change with the clutch in or out didnt think it would be the DMF but you never know.When listening to the engine the noise is coming from the timming belt area but thats where all the belts and pulleys are which is a pest lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you can get into the timing belt area, a fine mist squirt of rubber/nylon lubricant will soon tell you if it is the belt/runners because if it is, the noise will be dampened with the application of this. Do not over spray though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Sounds very much like a water pump buddy, get it checked out though before something breaks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by john.robertson2 View Post
    Sounds very much like a water pump buddy, get it checked out though before something breaks
    I've just had my water pump and belt replaced, it sounds very "electric" if you get what I mean, it sounds like an electric golf cart LOL. Vauxhall said it needed to bed in and the belt had to stretch or something, so maybe its the belt if you've just had it replaced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If it sounds electrical, it could be the alternator. If you load the alternator by switching heater on full, air con etc does the noise vary? Again, a slight spray of rubber/nylon lubricant into the alternator vents may give a clue if its internal to this (a duff bearing maybe).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah it does make the car sound like a golf cart lol,the timing belt,water pump and tensioner are original so these will be the next parts to be replaced.Hopefully its not the alternator have you seen the price of them when listening to the engine it dosent seem to be the alternator when i had the aux belt off to replace the tensioner i should have started it up and gave it a rev as this would of eliminated any aux drive pulleys or alternator from being suspect and pointed me to where its coming from ah well never mind im not going through taking it off again.Thanks for the replys guys i will let you know how i get on

Thread Information