Thread: New Alternator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default New Alternator

I think my Alternator has gone kapput on my 2005 1.9 CDTI (120).

Last night the dash started lighting up all over the place, the radio and the power steering kept cutting out. Damn my car is heavy!

Anyway I bought a new battery from halfords last night and borrowed a charger from my dads. The charge had a diagnostic check for the battery and the alternator. It said the battery was ok at 11.5v but the alternator was out of operating range?!!? Also with the engine running the battery voltage was dropping, so looks like the alternator is not doing its job.

Anyway I have the car booked into a "Nationwide Autocentre" tomorrow, I would have preferred a Main Dealer but my AA warranty will only pay half the labour rate the dealer charges.

If it turns out the Alternator needs replacing, what else should be changed at the same time?

The auxillary belt (alternator belt) has been making a squeaking noise on cold for ages so can this be replaced at the same time easily?

I assume I might as well stick the new halfords battery in as the current one is over 4 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had mine changed with AA warrenty just had to pay £25 excess and claim couldnt be above £500. Steelers wanted £700 and i got it done for £450 else where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have just had a alternator supplied and fitted by the dealers and it cost me £467.00 and they also checked my tyres and gave it a wash. My car is a 1.9cdti 150 so 700 is a total rip off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

There was a recall on the 1.9[150] Alternators but I would check for the 120 as well.

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY W View Post
    I have just had a alternator supplied and fitted by the dealers and it cost me £467.00 and they also checked my tyres and gave it a wash. My car is a 1.9cdti 150 so 700 is a total rip off

Yep, carnt understand why all stealers carnt charge the same price, the one that tried it on with that price is very unhelpful regarding other things to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have the alternator removed and bench tested by a local auto spark.should beable to fix it way less than hundreds..i dont understand why everyone wants to go to the dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just to let you all know, a new alternator was fitted yesterday, cost £377 but I only had to pay the £50 excess on my AA Warranty. I had a new battery put in as well as the old one was over four years old. It also looks as though auxillary belt is new and it didn't squeak this morning as it usually does.

However it didn;t fix my problem with th Cruise Control cutting out. Oh well, wishful thinking. I'll just have to clean the stalk contacts again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and looking for some general info?? My alternator has also packed up on my 1.9cdti 150. does anyone happen to know the ampereage of the alternator fitted as i cant see any identification on it anywhere. Also, how would I find out if mine is subject to a recall?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    However it didn;t fix my problem with th Cruise Control cutting out. Oh well, wishful thinking. I'll just have to clean the stalk contacts again.
    Hi in reply do your Cruise control cutting out, it could be down to the return spring on the clutch pedal, check for play in the pedal by putting your foot underneath it, and checking for any play - as the spring weakens it does nbot return the clutch pedal all the way up after depressing, and as such your CC thinks the clutch has been pressed and cuts out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Alternators

Must be the week for it ! Mine went too!
    I started with the dealership spares dept £285 inc vat, about £235ish with "trade discount", plus labour and fiddling about. So didnt think I'd see much change, if any,from £500.

Moved to ebay where Addco of Luton were selling alternators, and had a look at their great prices and exchanges etc. But didnt know the amps reqd as couldnt see that piece of critical info whilst on car.

Phoned direct and had only mentioned words "alternator & signum", and he rattled off my make & model ! Known faulty batch etc without me even mentioning a registration etc. These know their stuff.120amp reqd as no heated seats in mine.

Got another £65 inc with new diode replacement pack fitted & guarantee.
    Took car to local back street friendly garage,(which Addco just happened to be making another delivery that day too, therefore no £10 courier charge) labour charges a fraction of main dealership. They removed it, and replaced it with my part. Total garage cost £95 ! plus alternator.
    Car picked up and delived back to me !
    As the meerkats would say......."simples"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information