Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Car insurance

Wasn't sure where to post this, figured i'd post it in here! Basically, I just want to have a rough idea when my car is gonna be repaired, got crashed into in August, i'm claiming off him, and he's disputing it being his fault! Does anyone know when i'm gonna be fixed and ready to go? Getting sick of waiting!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

shouldnt normally take that long mate. i had to wait 2 months before after being hit. eventually the insurers didnt get any reply from the other driver so took my account of things and paid me what i paid for the car and i kept it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Shouldn't be too long then, fingers crossed! I just want my car fixed and back to normal, look a right t*** with the damage!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It depends on the type of policy you have and the inspection report of the accident damage
    If the accident damage is minimal then the inspection report will advise your insurance company that the car can continue to be driven until the repair

However, you can get round this if :
    ANY of the lamps are damaged, loose, or become loose later
    the bodywork has become damaged such that it has sharp edges, loose, or becomes loose later
    You can then contact your insurance company and advise them that the car is now no longer roadworthy

That is what I have done on all three of the claims I have made
    My car has then been booked in for repair, received a courtesy car, and the car returned to me, and all before the claim has been settled

Once the claim was settled I then sent my excess and any additional costs to the legal cover for repayment
    That payment usually followed about two weeks later

After all three non-fault accidents I have had my car repaired within 4 weeks

On the first accident there was mininal front damage, all that could be seen was a tiny mark on the bumper
    The repair agent (VX dealership) reckoned they could repair the bumper
    However on removing the bumper for inspection they found the impact bar had been damaged
    I then phoned my insurance company and after about 20 minutes they conceeded my point that the crash integrity had been compromised

On the second quite similar, my rear bumper was destroyed by an impact with a HGV whilst on the hard shoulder
    The repair agent (Ford dealership) condemned the rear bumper and rear crash structure just by standing behind the car!

On the third I hit a fox on the motorway, damaging the nearside fog light and leaving the bumper with sharp edges
    I deemed that to make the car unroadworthy, and the repair agent agreed with me
    Last edited by m8internet; 1st November 2009 at 11:08.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    It depends on the type of policy you have and the inspection report of the accident damage
    If the accident damage is minimal then the inspection report will advise your insurance company that the car can continue to be driven until the repair

However, you can get round this if :
    ANY of the lamps are damaged, loose, or become loose later
    the bodywork has become damaged such that it has sharp edges, loose, or becomes loose later
    You can then contact your insurance company and advise them that the car is now no longer roadworthy

That is what I have done on all three of the claims I have made
    My car has then been booked in for repair, received a courtesy car, and the car returned to me, and all before the claim has been settled

Once the claim was settled I then sent my excess and any additional costs to the legal cover for repayment
    That payment usually followed about two weeks later

After all three non-fault accidents I have had my car repaired within 4 weeks
    I'm with churchill and my mum & dad are with them too, but i'm only TPF&T so I imagine it's gonna take a lot longer than if I was fully comp. My car wasn't road worthy, but my dad screwed the bumper back on to the car, and gaffa taped all the sharp bits down, was that shooting myself in the foot a bit? The damage was to my drivers side right wheel arch, no lights was damaged, just bumper, door, rear quarter panel and wheel, damage was priced up @ a cost of £1250!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Danialj32 View Post
    I'm with churchill and my mum & dad are with them too, but i'm only TPF&T so I imagine it's gonna take a lot longer than if I was fully comp. My car wasn't road worthy, but my dad screwed the bumper back on to the car, and gaffa taped all the sharp bits down, was that shooting myself in the foot a bit? The damage was to my drivers side right wheel arch, no lights was damaged, just bumper, door, rear quarter panel and wheel, damage was priced up @ a cost of £1250!
    Damage all down the drivers side?

Sounds like a head on narrow road thing, in which case it's difficult to apportion blame unless there were parked cars down one side (parked car on their side = your right of way).

Or

A dualtrack narrowing to single lane incident maybe? If so then the other guy will be claiming that you were preventing him overtaking (or racing him) and it could get dragged out for quite some time unless there were independent witnesses.

Pretty much most of the time, if you hit the back of anyone else its your fault and vice versa, but otherwise and in your case its really difficult.

That said though, an incident I had involved a guy moving across to block me overtaking him on broken lined (very important point) chevons, I took his mirror and front wing clean off and the insurance went in my favour..... But only because I know the law and quoted the appropriate sections of the highway code in the accident report!

As for cost, the damage quotation privately would be around 1/3 of that, its almost industry practice to triple the actual repairs cost when quoting for insurance companies.
    Last edited by Birchy63; 2nd November 2009 at 11:25.

Thread Information