Thread: bmw 1 series

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default bmw 1 series

hi all, have been offered a good deal at a bmw dealership for a brand new bmw 116 (2.0litre diesel sport) has anyone had 1 or had much to do with the bmw 1 series want some advice before sign on the dotted line so to speak??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_456 View Post
    hi all, have been offered a good deal at a bmw dealership for a brand new bmw 116 (2.0litre diesel sport) has anyone had 1 or had much to do with the bmw 1 series want some advice before sign on the dotted line so to speak??
    I currently drive a 320i Se Auto which I bought very recently, previous car was a 318i SE auto.

I've had a 116i both diesel and petrol versions as courtesy cars on 09 plates.
    They are good cars, BM diesels are very noticably quieter than previous diesel's I've driven, very fast too and probably one of the most economic cars on the road. Their petrol versions are pretty frugal too, I manage to get a average of 39mpg on my petrol 170bhp auto which is pretty impressive.

I nearly bought a new series 1 myself, mainly due to their lower price, but decided to go with the series 3.
    BMW cars dont have a lot of toys especially on their basic ES models, you need to go to a SE model just to get cruise control and the better Professional radio/cd series, plus a few other basic toys.

Though possible quieter than many other cars they are still a little noisier than the 3 series, probably due to difference in sound proofing. The engines however in both forms are lively with good pickup, and they are incredibly smooth. Not a lot of boot space, and rear leg room is not brilliant. The later models have the facility to stop the engine everytime you stop when you move the gearshift into neutrol to save fuel (not on auto's) and I found it was a bit of a pain in traffic jams etc. It can be disabled though. A bit gimicky IMO.
    On these later E90 models they have removed a few basic features like temp gauge and there's no physical dipstick, its been a electronic sensor for a couple of years now which shows your oil level on the computer instead.
    The current series 1 generally come with standard tyres and not run flats which IMO is better, though I think BMW now give you the option. Its not a option however on series 3, all E90 series 3 comes with run flat tyres.
    None of the current 1 or 3 series come with a spare wheel or have a dedicated space for one other than loose in the boot. Most people use the BM mobility kit or carry a can of goo to get them out of trouble if they switch over to non runflats.

Personally I would rather have a late second hand series 3 than a series 1, if only for the better looks and more space especially leg room and boot area. JMO. Much quieter... in fact I have difficulty hearing my engine running when stationary at lights etc.

From the BM forums I go on, there appears to be concensus that later 4 pot engines are very reliable indeed with no major issues at all either on the petrol or diesel models.
    FYI late model automatic 6 & 7 speed boxes are superb, with no noticable jerkiness whatsoever when changing gears, they are very smooth and quiet indeed, and of course you can still use manual mode.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will put a big smile on your face, wish I'd switched to BMW years ago. BMW dealership network is first class too, They really do look after you well even after they have taken your money..lol

Having had 2 new Insignia's, and due to on going problems I made the switch to BMW and it's the best move I ever made. No regrets whatsoever.
    Last edited by 67688c; 31st October 2009 at 21:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a sort of mate who had a Signum 2.2 and traded it in for one of these with all the options and he says thats it better in every way possible but he is a old guy so that should give you an idea.
    All the ones I have seen are either blonde hairdressers or retired, I think they are as ugly as anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

there was someone on here brought an ''m sport'' one have a look to see his opinion of it, i must admit it look's awsome in white...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very cramped in the rear, dog-ugly to look at, but very economical, especially with the "Efficient Dynamics" package that is built in nowadays. If you carry adults in the back every now and then, forget it; if you don't, then it's a decent car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you test driven one yet?
    There must be a reason for the deal being offered.
    Try a series 1 and its class competitors.
    How about a BMW Mini?
    There is a lot of choice out there...
    Take your time is my advice matey
    Cheers
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

goin 4 test drive 2mz, will have a look at the mini whilst im there aswell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_456 View Post
    goin 4 test drive 2mz, will have a look at the mini whilst im there aswell

I like the mini, it truly puts the fun back into driving and can take 30yrs of your age if one's getting on a bit like me..lol
    My only complaint about the Mini is the fact it's large speedo is in the centre of the dash and not readily in the drivers line of sight directly in front of you like all other cars. We are considering getting one of these when the wifes car gets changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

67688c, made me laugh reading your post regarding changing over to BMW, could have been my brother as he changed over to BMW a couple of years back and got himself a 320i Auto, loved the car , then a deal came up for a 5 series on a '56 plate and he bought that and loves that too, he also made the comment about their aftersales service and how good they are, keeps trying to convince me to change over, I would in a flash if I had the money!!
    Cheers Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by old cruiser View Post
    67688c, made me laugh reading your post regarding changing over to BMW, could have been my brother as he changed over to BMW a couple of years back and got himself a 320i Auto, loved the car , then a deal came up for a 5 series on a '56 plate and he bought that and loves that too, he also made the comment about their aftersales service and how good they are, keeps trying to convince me to change over, I would in a flash if I had the money!!
    Cheers Pete
    Hope I did'nt sound over patronising...lol I can only go by my own experience with the 2 BM's I've had so far. I'm a fairly new convert but well impressed so far.
    I thought I'd driven some nice cars in my time, and would still be driving my last Insignia if it were not for all the problems I had with it. Shame really, as I've been a VX fan for quite a while, my previous 4 cars were VX cars and all bought brand new. All were very reliable, shame I cant say the same about the Insignia, the first one a 160 diesel was passed onto a employee in the family business, and had no major issues until it got to around 21k miles when the DMF failed, and it was off the road for 5 weeks waiting for parts. The second one was always off the road with problems from day-1.

My eldest son has a 330ci 3ltr auto M-Sports, new in September, it has a metal roof which superbly folds into the boot for those hot days, not cheap though at around 38k, though he does have a lot of toys in it... satnav etc. Though the 320 I've just bought has satnav too, 6 months old so I've let someone else take the hit on price this time round.

I like the way you can split the Nav screen so one half shows your nav info while the other half can show your mp3 or ipod info, very sharp clear display too... I love it.
    It was the eldest son who finally pursuaded me to go for a BMW, TBH he can be a bit of a snob, and I used to resent his sarky comments about my cars, he's another clarkson..lol, probably because I know the value of money more than he does. He often forgets it was I who started the business which he now successfully runs, and gets a good living from..lol
    I paid 22.5k for this 320 which is obviously like brand new, and had under 5k miles on it, so considering quite a few Insignia owners are paying that much for their new cars, I know which I prefer.
    Unfortunately I have to admit that for once my son was correct, he actually said if I did'nt like the first BM I bought he personally would pay for it himself, so I did'nt have a lot to lose.. but I doubt he would have done so...lol
    Quite simply... I may as well enjoy the fruits of all my hard work in the past, after all you can't take it with you, and I still enjoy my toys even at my age. Never too old for new toys.
    Last edited by 67688c; 1st November 2009 at 19:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information