0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default diesel particle filter- regen confusion

Hi, My 06 150 SRi estate has been lovingly fitted with a DPF from VX, I didn't realise it had one when i bought it (doh!).

I must admit I'm pretty amazed at the lack of smoke when you boot the car after dawdling round in traffic, (my old 2.0DTi astra would chuff out a cloud to make james bond proud!!)

I've only had the car for a couple of weeks, and had no trouble yet (fingers crossed) but I'm confused with the regen part of it.
    Am I correct in saying that if the car has a few longish motorway trips, the heat generated from the run will burn off the soot, without the need for the car to perform a regen by chucking loads of fuel at it and flashing the glow plug lamp?
    The car has done 23000 miles and had a FVSH so I'm assuming any firmware/ECU updates have been carried out.
    My concern is that my daily commute is 10 miles each way, on mixed roads including about 3 miles of 70mph dual carriageway. I can't see it getting warm enough on a daily run, But we do have a monthly 500 mile trip up to edinburgh. Is that enought to burn off a months worth of soot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there was a software update to stop the glowplug light flashing mate as alot of owners were taking the cars to VX thinking it was a fault, could be wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 17 mile trip to work, 11 miles is motorway which I normally do around 70ish, 1.5 is 20MPH, and rest is 40/60. The DPF regens once per tank driving like this. I drive up to Wolves every so often, about 70 miles or so and the regen seems to "skip" that tank (if you know what I mean !). I did a stint driving to Derby, and it still did a regen during the drive up the M1 one day. I thing that the long drives just delay it, not stop it, although those that drive regular long trips will know better

Edit - the glow plug light doesn't come on, I only notice because the MPG drops to about 25 - 30

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fredfox_uk View Post
    I have a 17 mile trip to work, 11 miles is motorway which I normally do around 70ish, 1.5 is 20MPH, and rest is 40/60. The DPF regens once per tank driving like this. I drive up to Wolves every so often, about 70 miles or so and the regen seems to "skip" that tank (if you know what I mean !). I did a stint driving to Derby, and it still did a regen during the drive up the M1 one day. I thing that the long drives just delay it, not stop it, although those that drive regular long trips will know better

Edit - the glow plug light doesn't come on, I only notice because the MPG drops to about 25 - 30
    how long does the regen take, and does tha car feel any different while its doing one? It seems daft to have no indication of when it's complete, or even nescasary. The handbook says the Glow plug lamp and the RR heated screen come on, has this changed now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beakster View Post
    how long does the regen take, and does tha car feel any different while its doing one? It seems daft to have no indication of when it's complete, or even nescasary. The handbook says the Glow plug lamp and the RR heated screen come on, has this changed now?
    As stated above! It was removed on an update as thick people kept booking their cars in to be fixed as they were not clever enough to RTFM and thought they were fault lights.

If yours has not had the update then it may still do it.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on how I drive - if I put my foot down and rag it (harsh acceleration) then it finishes quicker than if I just drive normally, about 5 mins vs 8 mins. On the way home today it regen'd but only lasted about 2 mins - I'd done 70 miles all on the motorway on the weekend plus the normal run to and from work today, so I don't know if that made any difference. I probably wouldn't have notice except I came off the m/way.

I don't notice much difference on the m/way when it happens, except for the poor mpg, but driving around town it's much more jerky and seems to run away a little (it's an autobox).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fredfox_uk View Post
    Depends on how I drive - if I put my foot down and rag it (harsh acceleration) then it finishes quicker than if I just drive normally, about 5 mins vs 8 mins. On the way home today it regen'd but only lasted about 2 mins - I'd done 70 miles all on the motorway on the weekend plus the normal run to and from work today, so I don't know if that made any difference. I probably wouldn't have notice except I came off the m/way.

I don't notice much difference on the m/way when it happens, except for the poor mpg, but driving around town it's much more jerky and seems to run away a little (it's an autobox).
    I'll try to keep one eye on the MPG, it must have done it a few times in the past, on looking under the car the front box looks like it's had a blow torch on it! It must get to the point of glowing when at regen temparature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyway to force regen other than tech 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to keep one eye on the MPG.
    When doing a regen, MPG(?) on idle is approx 0.8, up from the usual 0.2/0.3. You might not even notice it on a motorway, but around town it feels very lumpy and rough. Smells funny too.

If I notice the car doing a regen, I just drive round for 5 mins keeping at 3500 rpm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like we're going to be stuck with them in the future on diesel cars, As i said earlier, the car blows out a lot less soot, (if any), than the non DPF diesels I've driven, so thats a good thing. Whether that is offset by the amount of fuel used and the extra complications it having a filter.

Looking on the web, VW seem to be having a lot more trouble than VX are with dpf blockages. Has anyone reported many faults since the software update?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information