User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoons Under Pressure Report....

spoons

Default Spoons Under Pressure Report....

Ok, following on from this thread... I said that I would post my impressions on the Silverline Pressure Washer that I recently purchased.

Firstly, I dont use Pressure Washers, never have done. But watching the growing amount of detailers using Snow Foam products and raving about how good they are (and fun) I decided to invest in one.

I ended up with a 2500W Silverline... and with a bit of confusion over the hose and lance connectors I managed to add an additional 6 metre extension hose along with a Snow Foam Lance. The original pressure hose lance was replaced due to the connection issues with the extension hose.

So.. its all up and running....

Pressure washed the old Astra first to make sure it was ok...

Then pressure washed the VXR, followed by snow foam... was good fun and very easy to use.

The pressure washer unit itself remained in my garage (with water and electrical supplies) I closed the garage door, leaving it ajar for the pressure washer hose which keeps the washer unit itself away from all the water spray, dirt and foam.. The extension hose plus original hose amounts to 11 metres... which is enough to leave the pressure washer in the garage and get around the car.

All worked well except when I finished and leathered down the car.

I noticed that all my 'touch up paint' on the stone chips had been blasted off !!... I've got a black VXR and its covered in stone chips, but I 'touch' painted them all last year. So on closer inspection, the edge of the touch ups still had paint on them, but not the middles. So I had to go around and touch them all up again... not happy.

With the pressure washer I ensured the lance end was always around 2-3 feet away from the car, but it appears this is still to close if you want to keep your touch up paintwork !

I also noticed that the car seemed 'duller' afterwards. Still shiney, but slightly duller. I know lighting can have a huge impact, but I took that into account.

I did wonder whether this might be an after effect to the snow foam chemicals or the jet wash !

Hmmm.... cant say I'm overly impressed with Jet Washing... the washer itself did the job I expected and works fine. The extension hose was great as well and the snow foam was fun....

But jet washing does seem a very aggressive way of treating the paintwork. Might just use it for the snow foam in future...

(Awaiting the 'your an idiot' and 'you did it wrong' replies now....)
    Last edited by spoons; 23rd October 2009 at 13:42.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hey Steve nice write up, I have to agree im not a fan of jet washing either and prefer to stick with good old fashioned handing wash

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you using it at 130bar then it'll also rip a hole in your tyre sidewalls...

Mid power for paint and wheels, full blast for arches and a with a bit of distance, the rest.

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by In a states View Post
    If you using it at 130bar then it'll also rip a hole in your tyre sidewalls...
    The unit runs at 130bar and 190bar max... There is no way of adjusting this pressure

I have been assured by AutoBrite Direct that this is perfectly safe for car paintwork. I specifically went to them for advice on a new pressure washer and was absolutely assured it would be 'safe' to use on my car.

Jon, are you suggesting it isnt safe to use on my car at 130 bar?..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

they do actually recommend you dont use high power pressure washers on tyre side walls as this can weaken them and if they have a structual imperfection can cause them to be weakened futher whereby the either blow out whilst washing/cleaning (not nice whilst your detailing your tyres or rims) or wosre still whilst your driving it later....

as attached ....
    "Hand car wash teams have mushroomed dramatically in the UK in the past few years. Estimates suggest that there are between 5,000 to 10,000 two or three man teams up and down the country offering this service to motorists. However, TyreSafe - formerly the Tyre Industry Council, the UK's leading tyre safety organisation - has issued a warning of a potential safety risk involving the equipment used by these groups that could lead to potential tyre failure.
    There is growing evidence that pressure washers used by hand car wash providers can cause tyre damage unknown to most motorists and that they could be putting there own lives and that of their passengers and other road users at risk.

Heavy-duty pressure washer machines are capable of dispensing water at extremely high pressure and if aimed directly at the tyre, the jet can cause sidewall damage and degradation particularly if the water is heated or if the pressurised water is applied for an extended period.

According to a recent survey by TyreSafe, it was revealed that over 80% of drivers were unaware of the impact that pressure washing can have on their tyres and the danger posed.

In fact, German safety group DEKRA has discovered that if a washer nozzle is held close to a tyre at very high pressure, serious damage can occur in just five seconds! Even tyres that appear normal after being subjected to a pressure washer may have microscopic perforations, which can weaken the sidewall and cause a possible blow-out.

Other contributory factors to sidewall damage are the width of the water jet and the strength of any soaps or detergents used. Strong soap can remove protective chemicals that are embedded in the sidewall - usually resulting in the visual indication of brown watermarks - which can result in a significant reduction in durability.

For worry-free washing, TyreSafe has the following tips for motorists:

Ideally, a light-to-medium duty pressure washer should be used (110 bar or less) The washer jet nozzle should be kept at least 20 cm from the tyre surface Always use a fan nozzle to clean tyres, rather than a circular nozzle Prevent prolonged exposure to a specific area of the tyre Avoid aiming the water jet directly at the join between the tyre and the wheel rim."

and on a lighter note

i did manage to strip a bonnet on a "bodyshop" repaired water based paint finish (funny lemon) which they then had to repaint - that was 9 months after they had repaired it !! using an industrial disel pressure washer at work (designed for cleaning cars though)...
    Last edited by Deztroyer; 23rd October 2009 at 13:59.

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by deztroyer View Post
    they do actually recommend you dont use high power pressure washers on tyre side walls as this can weaken them.
    Yup, I was aware of that one, so didnt put the jet washer anywhere near the tyres, or rubber seals by the windows or lights

Ideally, a light-to-medium duty pressure washer should be used (110 bar or less) The washer jet nozzle should be kept at least 20 cm from the tyre surface Always use a fan nozzle to clean tyres, rather than a circular nozzle Prevent prolonged exposure to a specific area of the tyre Avoid aiming the water jet directly at the join between the tyre and the wheel rim."
    ... Although the above info relates to the tyre walls, I still ensured the lance end was always 2-3 feet away from the bodywork. It still managed to lift the touchup paint off though

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Stick to the good old Hose Pipe with a good adjustable spray gun .

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by nigec View Post
    Stick to the good old Hose Pipe with a good adjustable spray gun .
    Yes I think I will....

However, I will still use the pressure washer with the snow foam lance

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i was suprised to read it had lifted the paint - how is the pressure regulated it says it runs 130 - 190 bar but what controls the regulation between the 60 odd bar difference???

maybe this ones a VXR special i know we joked on the other thread about fitting a turbo to it - but 60 bar is a HUGE difference???

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

spoons

i was suprised to read it had lifted the paint -
    The actual car paintwork is fine, its the 'touch up' paint that has come off

...how is the pressure regulated it says it runs 130 - 190 bar but what controls the regulation between the 60 odd bar difference???
    Absolutely no idea. I thought it ran at 130 bar normally, and under load maxed at 190 bar ?

maybe this ones a VXR special i know we joked on the other thread about fitting a turbo to it - but 60 bar is a HUGE difference???
    I'll get it on the Water Authorities rolling road for some figures

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information